PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagon

ktn_cmu
10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey All,

I searched on VW and found a couple not too involved topics, so I thought I'd ask directly.

I am thinking of buying an '05 Golf TDI. What to you think?

I drive 75+/day
You can pick one up new for about 18,500 out the door
Used ones cost about the same (03 40,000miles, 18grand) so low depreciation
I've heard that you really get closer to 50mpg (highway only)

6ballsisall
10-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Mileage is accurate. If you want to really save some dollars make your own biodiesel. If you want extra performance you can really bomb those motors too. It's a good time :D

bcampbe7
10-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey All,

I searched on VW and found a couple not too involved topics, so I thought I'd ask directly.

I drive 75+/day

I have no first hand experience, but my brother had a Wolfsburg (sp?) Jetta. It seemed to be very well built and rode and drove great.
If I was driving 75+ miles per day, I would be looking at Diesel also!

jraben8
10-03-2005, 04:35 PM
What can be done to those motors? The acceleration times scare me with the drivers in Dallas.

G-man
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
My daughter has a 98 diesel beatle. Acceleration is not an issue. In the city we are getting 34mpg. My son has an 04 golf gas model and he is getting 24mpg. Both have been reliable vehicles.

AirJunky
10-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Cool cars. The market for them here in the NW is such that the new cars are going for $2000 - $4000 over the dealers list price for 05s..... ie; $23k - $25k. And used ones run $16k - $19k & usually have pretty high mileage. Our local dealer told me he can't keep the cars on his lot more than 20 or 30 minutes & their sold!!

FYI, there is a difference in biodiesel & "making your own fuel". The stuff you "make" is actually strained vegetable oil. Biodiesel is made using lye & methanol...... not exactly the kind of thing I want around my house, although it is possible. You can run the biodiesel in these cars with no modifications safely. Running SVO takes some mods to the fuel tank to keep the oil at 180 degrees so it'll flow like diesel does.

Google for "biodiesel" or "straight vegetable oil" for more info. Lots of it out there.

Hoosier Bob
10-03-2005, 05:35 PM
I had a 98' Jetta TDI 90hp and 140 lbs torque. A chip was available that took the 1.9 litre to 145 hp and 200 lbs torque! I had no problem with the acceleration, actually it was almost that of the 2.0 GTI.What can be done to those motors? The acceleration times scare me with the drivers in Dallas.

Hoosier Bob
10-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Like I said in another post I had a 98' Jetta TDI. The performance was very solid and the mileage was around 45 mpg average. I had a very basic 5 spd w/sunroof. The only knock is that it was very uncomfortable. Handled and road very well and the mileage was amazing. Not much noise either. Diesel power is amazing and after you have driven a diesel for a while it is hard to go back. They have a lot of torque (TDI) but do not rev very high. My peak hp came around 3,000 rpm and peak torque around 1,900 rpm. Highway at 80-85 mph was a cruise. Drive one and if they are more comfortable I believe you will like the TDI. :D Hey All,

I drive 75+/day

djhuff
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
On Biodeisel, you can only use B20 (20%bio, 80% petro) in the VW or it will void the warranty.

parks_jr_55
10-03-2005, 06:13 PM
I had a 98' Jetta TDI 90hp and 140 lbs torque. A chip was available that took the 1.9 litre to 145 hp and 200 lbs torque! I had no problem with the acceleration, actually it was almost that of the 2.0 GTI.

You mean 2.slow right...my brother has an 02 Jetta and it is alright on accleration...but i wouldnt race anything more than a Geo in it.

Hoosier Bob
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
It is not a Vette! It is a four cylinder diesel. That being said the acceleration is great for a vehicle that would hold around 14-15 gallons and go from Indianapolis In to Gulf Shores Alabama on a tank of gas! Fill up ($3.00 per gallon $45.00 fill up) and at 50 mpg hwy a tank can get you 750 miles! I would only get between 575 and 625 miles to a tank. At Indy assuming no pit stops it beats the vette to 500 miles and then some. The Corvette stopped with 5.6 laps to go assuming hit it's 27 mpg hwy mileage. I am not a VW fan but this car can almost supplement your income! 750 miles, $45.00 fuel and $0.45 (mileage credit) a mile gets you $337.50! That would also last KTN 2 weeks between fill ups. :D You mean 2.slow right...my brother has an 02 Jetta and it is alright on accleration...but i wouldnt race anything more than a Geo in it.

parks_jr_55
10-04-2005, 12:00 AM
It is not a Vette! It is a four cylinder diesel. That being said the acceleration is great for a vehicle that would hold around 14-15 gallons and go from Indianapolis In to Gulf Shores Alabama on a tank of gas! Fill up ($3.00 per gallon $45.00 fill up) and at 50 mpg hwy a tank can get you 750 miles! I would only get between 575 and 625 miles to a tank. At Indy assuming no pit stops it beats the vette to 500 miles and then some. The Corvette stopped with 5.6 laps to go assuming hit it's 27 mpg hwy mileage. I am not a VW fan but this car can almost supplement your income! 750 miles, $45.00 fuel and $0.45 (mileage credit) a mile gets you $337.50! That would also last KTN 2 weeks between fill ups. :D

True that.

milkmania
10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I truly don't see how people are doing it (living)

fortunatly all my vehicles are paid off....
but just today, I bought $50.00 in gas= 17.86 gallons ( the subs hold 42 gallons)

what if I were driving back and forth to work, with a car payment & insurance, it would be impossible to earn enough for food & utilities.

you'd have to clear more than $10.00 a hour after taxes, and I still don't think you'd be comfortable

what if I had to throw a babysitter in there to boot???

bcampbe7
10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I truly don't see how people are doing it (living)

fortunatly all my vehicles are paid off....
but just today, I bought $50.00 in gas= 17.86 gallons ( the subs hold 42 gallons)

what if I were driving back and forth to work, with a car payment & insurance, it would be impossible to earn enough for food & utilities.

you'd have to clear more than $10.00 a hour after taxes, and I still don't think you'd be comfortable

what if I had to throw a babysitter in there to boot???

Paying around $60 in gas per week to fill up my SUV is only bothersome to me because I feel that the price of gas does not have to be so high. As I filled-up yesterday, and watched the dollar amount pass $30 while the gallon amount was not even past 9.5 gallons, I had this pi$$ed-off feeling come over me. But, what can you do? My wife and I were discussing buying a cheap gas mileage car for me to drive back and forth to work.

On the other hand, I bought my SUV knowing it only gets 14 MPG and requires premium, albeit before the price of gas was $3+. I keep hearig talks of gas prices going down. I doubt we will see much lower than $3/gallon for premium ever again. :mad:

ktn_cmu
10-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I guess I should have said this too, since it really is a huge factor for the amount of savings right?

I currently drive a 1989 Chevy Ext. Cab Long Box 3/4 ton 4X4 w/350. It pretty much sucks the gas...filled 'er up this morning for a shade more than $80.00...that'll last less than a full week.

Thanks for all the interesting discussion guys, if I get a golf...I'll let ya know how it goes. :)

Bruce Carr
10-04-2005, 10:13 AM
I bought an '04 Jetta TDI for my son about 2 months ago. I didn't know too much about them at the time (my 20 yr old did the research and chose the Jetta). I have to say, I was very impressed with the performance and mileage of that little machine. It is very solid; handles well and has an amazing amount of acceleration for a vehicle that gets 40+ city and 50+ Hwy. I liked it so much, I bought one for the wife and I to drive too. For a little car, it has quite a bit of trunk space and the rear seat backs fold down flat which opens up to the trunk. The added length of the trunk from folding the seat backs down allows for carrying the slalom skis to the lake inside the car.

Bruce

ktn_cmu
10-04-2005, 10:42 AM
We don't happen to have any VW employees around this board do we??? You know...w/ a special deal up there sleeve? Hey, if we bought enough of them...ha ha ha...nevermind...:)

sizzler
10-04-2005, 10:44 AM
a few of my friends have the golf tdi diesel....nice car.....quite poweful for its size and very economical......

lakes Rick
10-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Just a couple of comments here..

Not the same cars or engines, but Dad had a 80 VW diesel Pickup, and the wife had an 84 turbo diesel jetta.. Both vehicles were extremely rugged and very dependable.. VW did there homework right on their diesel conversions unlike GM and others....

The Turbo Jetta got over 50 MPG easily and had a fair amount of power.. Nice car, but nothing fancy....

Ben
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
ktn_cmu:

My in-laws are debating getting rid of their 2-3 year old Jetta diesel. For some reason, he likes to get rid of cars after 3 or so years. I'd buy it, but it's too much $$ for my daily beater. He claims 50mpg no matter what, not sure of his math though. It's neat to drive & he babies it. Interested in that, or only looking new?

They are in central ohio, so it hasn't been in the crazy salt up here yet...

ktn_cmu
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Ben,

Cool thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, I may be interested. Used is fine with me. I was just looking at new because I was noticing that the dollar difference between used and new didn't provide enough incentive to buy the used...I mean, the used ones were too much, might as well buy new. PM me with more details if you would. Thanks!

Kyle

P.S. Jetta was what I really wanted in the first place...

RexDog
10-04-2005, 05:29 PM
2005 Golf Is A Good Car, The TDI Is A Very Good Engine
If You Drive 50 To 100 Miles A Day You Should Go Diesel
The Noise From The Diesel Is Not To Bad
The Manual Transmission Will Help On The Power
But If You Will Be Driving In A Lot Of Traffic I Would
Go With The Auto Trans. :twocents:
But I Like My Bug :steering:

milkmania
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I saw a Jetta TDI today.....

I like it!
kinda European looking

http://www.stealthtdi.com/NewJettaCropped.jpg

milkmania
10-04-2005, 05:45 PM
here ya go......

60 mpg on pump gas!!!!:woohoo:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1950-1959/1957-BMW-Isetta-300-red-fa-lr.jpg

ktn_cmu
10-04-2005, 05:46 PM
2005 Golf Is A Good Car, The TDI Is A Very Good Engine
If You Drive 50 To 100 Miles A Day You Should Go Diesel
The Noise From The Diesel Is Not To Bad
The Manual Transmission Will Help On The Power
But If You Will Be Driving In A Lot Of Traffic I Would
Go With The Auto Trans. :twocents:
But I Like My Bug :steering:

Sweet Bug!

ktn_cmu
10-04-2005, 05:47 PM
here ya go......

Hey Milk, way to take an idea and run with it, but...I don't think I ready to take that step quite yet...

AirJunky
10-04-2005, 05:49 PM
here ya go......

But could it get on the freeway without you dieing?!
From either getting run over or a heart attack from pedaling so hard!

milkmania
10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
I'd probably fall out the only door it's got and get run over:(

jraben8
10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Do you have to have "Fred Flintstone feet" to move it?

jpattigr
10-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I have a 2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI, it is the best all around caR I have ever owned.
I traded a 02 1.8 Turbo Passat wagon for the TDI and the Oil Burner is far better in every regard.
In the Passat it is a 2.0 L with 134 hp but 255 Lbs of Torque and it will cruise at 90 MPH all day and still have jam to pass, along with 40 MPG.
In Europe 55 to 60% of all cars sold are diesel.

BrianM
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
I almost bought an '05 TDI Jetta Wagon last year but bought my Outback instead. My wife also commutes about 70 miles a day and the TDI engine can't be beat for mileage and reliability. A few of things kept me from actually buying the car.

1. The more I read about VW the more the electrical gremlins that VWs are know for began to worry me.
2. Normal maintenance is MUCH more than a gasser. 3. The Jettas are extremely small inside. Our Civic which I was going to be trading in had more room in the back seat.
4. Price they are expensive when you compare size and options.
5. No all wheel drive.

So when it came down to it I bought the Subaru which is actually more in line with a Passat but a Passat TDI with 4 Motion was $8k more :eek3: than what I bought. That is A LOT of gas;) .

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2005, 02:29 AM
I have never owned one. It appears to me that VW requires special VW tools to do minor repairs. I can not confirm this, my friend that has one has everything done at the dealer and has no idea. But another friend of mine was trying to do brakes on his car and could not because of the tools required. He since sold the car, so I can not be specific on this, but I am pretty sure they are not very user friendly. Dealer for everything. The guy that still has his TDI swears to me he does 54mpg, bought it with 60K two years ago and now 130K and only replaced one glowplug(other than reg maintenance.

milkmania
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I have never owned one. It appears to me that VW requires special VW tools to do minor repairs. I can not confirm this, my friend that has one has everything done at the dealer and has no idea. But another friend of mine was trying to do brakes on his car and could not because of the tools required. He since sold the car, so I can not be specific on this, but I am pretty sure they are not very user friendly. Dealer for everything. The guy that still has his TDI swears to me he does 54mpg, bought it with 60K two years ago and now 130K and only replaced one glowplug(other than reg maintenance.

so, let's say you save a grand in fuel, then the dealership charges you eight hundred, you're only saving a couple hundred....hmmmmm:confused:

not saying it's true, just saying...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
so, let's say you save a grand in fuel, then the dealership charges you eight hundred, you're only saving a couple hundred....hmmmmm:confused:

not saying it's true, just saying...
A few hundred is a few hundred right? I find myself steering clear of the VW name, but I hear they do ok in the long run. A few of my buddies past around an old VW pickup, (early 80's I think) They had to of put 100's of thousands on the clock. Looked like it belonged in the junk yard, but it ran darn near forever it seemed. Not sure where it went. And I doubt it was serviced regularly. But it is probably still on the road today.

ktn_cmu
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
BTW, the dealer charges the same for the diesel as the non-diesel.

I heard the TDI's may have trouble with timing belts, anyone ever heard this before???

jpattigr
10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
As for upkeep,

TDI goes 16,000 KM for oil change (only use sync) $69.00 change CDN
Gassers go 5000 km for oil change (non Sync) $30.00 change CDN

No sparkplugs, change air filter on both.

Upkeep is wash to slightly less on TDI.

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I heard the TDI's may have trouble with timing belts, anyone ever heard this before???
All VW water pumpers need a timing belt like every 40k - 60k miles.

BrianM
10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
When I was looking at the TDI I got lots of good info from this board. http://forums.tdiclub.com/categories.phpLots topics and lots of people that know their TDIs. I searched and read LOTs of stuff on this board.

6ballsisall
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM

Tru dat tru dat

Hoosier Bob
10-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I can only speak for a 98' TDI Jetta. I replaced a ton of equipment myself including the brakes. The vehicle overall was cheap transportation. I purchased the TDI with 60k and sold it at 150k. No timing belt. Changed belts, tires, brakes, 50 amp fuse for the glowplugs, alternator, lightbulbs and an s-load of synthetic oil. I also sold VW's for a few years and they are never going to be on my wish list! I am not Earthy enough! That being said I believe the TDI to be one of the ultimate vehicles out there solely due to the engine. Wait til' you fill up at a truck stop! Those things pump about 5 gallons a second! Two seconds and $40.00 and you are done! Any way most of the electrical concerns (I believe) were the late 90's models. Since (it appears) they have made a pretty solid product. Ask a VW mechanic what he drives. A high percentage will have a trade in TDI with a half million miles on it. If gas mileage is what you seek go for it. Is it the best vehicle out there? Probably not. Is it one of the cheapest most cost effective to own? Probably yes! :twocents:
PS Compression on a TDI is around 20 to 1! When you kill it it dies now! That may stress a timing belt however I never had trouble here.

6ballsisall
10-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I am not Earthy enough! :twocents:

lol! I am with you my friend. I used to work in Boulder, CO some. Man I sure didn't fit in that town.. :toast:

Hoosier Bob
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry, did I leave that in? The TDI is no where near an earthy vehicle! Black smoke, sounds like a UPS truck and turns oil black in a week! A mans' vehicle! Just kidding. I do like the TDI and feel it is a break from all things VW. :D

lol! I am with you my friend. I used to work in Boulder, CO some. Man I sure didn't fit in that town.. :toast:

6ballsisall
10-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry, did I leave that in? The TDI is no where near an earthy vehicle! Black smoke, sounds like a UPS truck and turns oil black in a week! A mans' vehicle! Just kidding. I do like the TDI and feel it is a break from all things VW. :D

haha

When I would work in Boulder I had my Dodge Cummins with the 5" exhaust (read: same sounds as a dump truck) and usually wore a leather jacket. Man did I ever get nasty looks everywhere I went in Boulder :D I'd puff some smoke just to make em' all happy again. Lord knows other types of smoke flows freely in that town :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2005, 11:44 PM
BTW, the dealer charges the same for the diesel as the non-diesel.

What doesn't? The manufacturers have specs for replacing the belts, but most people don't keep up, so the belts get a bad rap. I would bet there are a few options for what types of belt to use in those applications too.

There is a VW dealer here that has a sign out front of there place saying they will pay top dollar for the TDI trade ins. Not too many are taking them up on it. Haven't seen one there yet.

Bruce Carr
10-06-2005, 11:59 AM
The recommended timing belt replacement on the TDI ('03 anyway) is 128,000 km. I don't think the belt longevity is particlarly different from the gas to TDI, I think the replacement interval is shorter because the amount of carnage from a prematurely failed belt is much greater on the diesel. The much higher compression dictates a smaller clearance between the piston and the head which means the valves will interfere with the piston if the timing belt slips or breaks. Lots of bent valves and divits(sp) in piston heads...

Bruce

lakes Rick
10-06-2005, 01:28 PM
haha

When I would work in Boulder I had my Dodge Cummins with the 5" exhaust (read: same sounds as a dump truck) and usually wore a leather jacket. Man did I ever get nasty looks everywhere I went in Boulder :D I'd puff some smoke just to make em' all happy again. Lord knows other types of smoke flows freely in that town :rolleyes:

A related story here...

From the Mopar site I belong to.... One of the members was cut off by a young girl in some convertible one morning.. He was forced to lock up his brakes and almost hit another car.. When he honked his horn at her, she gave him the one finger salute.. Sound familiar???
BUT here is the good part.. As he idles up to the stop light, in his diesel dodge pickup, he notices his 4" exhaust is pointing right at this little b**tches head. ( the convertible top was down). Apparently you can make these things smoke real well by doing something.. Well this "young thing" was smoked out for about 30 seconds by this Diesel dodge.. I guess her white upholstery was no longer white and you could not tell she was a "blonde" anymore... Stories like this make my day.......

Workin' 4 Toys
10-06-2005, 06:57 PM
They smoke enough to easily do that, especially with a free flow exhaust system and a chip. They are unbelievable smokers then.