PDA

View Full Version : Belt coming off 2012 6.0 FRUSTATED

Steeler28546
06-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I have a 2012 x45 with approx 13 hours at this point. Incident 1 cruising away from ramp at 25mph and engine temp shut motor down (temp at 226) checked engine compartment and belt was off. Examined pulleys and the fresh water pulley bolts backed themselves almost completely from motor. This happened at about 4 hour mark. I removed the bolts, applied lock tite and reinstalled. Wakeboard end the rest of the day with no issue. Took it to the dealer, the belt came off for them as we'll so they replaced the belt drove for 45 min with no issue.

Incident 2, next time out after picking up boat leaving the ramp at 24 mph belt came off, i was alerted when engine temp light came on at 226 once again. I reinstalled the belt belt and played the rest of the day without issue. I dropped the boat back at dealer, the replaced the fresh water pump pulley, drove it fr 45 mins and said no issue.

Incident 3, I picked up boat yesterday morning, leaving ramp at 24mph about 10 mins in engine temp lights up at 226 and I shut it down, inspect motor and belt is off. I replace belt 2 more times and within a few hundred yards it comes back off. Dealer sends engine tech to me n the water. Replaced tensioner and new belt. We did a bunch of hole shots, then proceeded to wake surf for about 2 hours with no issue. Empty the ballasts and head back to ramp, cruising on efficient mode at 24mph and engine temp lights up and belt is off. I reinstall the belt and limp back to ramp with no issue but now there is squealing coming from engine at all rpms.

I dropped boat back at dealer and am waiting. I am beyond frustrated, so looking for any opinions out there. I took delivery at 2 hours and have done nothing weird except run it per the manual for break in. I am also wondering if I should be concerned about hitting 226 temp 4 times now, I don't want something to burnout prematurely and then I am on the hook because they don't associate the belt problem causing high heat burning up cats etcetera. I have not been out one time yet without incident which is crazy for a 100k piece of machinery!

Kweisner
06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Were I in this position, I would put together your post comments in a detailed document, copy it, and send it to MC via certified mail or FEDEX with a signature required. This needs to have a paper trail should it (a) contine and/or (b) not get solved to your satisfaction, and/or (c) have consequences later that aren't manifesting themselves currently. Having invested $100k in a recreational craft, you have every right to expect it to be made right. No company or product is 100% all the time, but when something does go wrong, they should stand behind their product 100% and make it right. That's the real hallmark of a great company. MC produces a great product but you still need to be proacitve IMHO. Trust, but verify.

Traxx822
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Wise words there. We implemented this policy with our business. Trust but verify.
Document everything as said above in writing.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

ricford
06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
When the dealer sends an engine tech to you out on the water for warranty work, they are doing their best for you. I know it's frustrating, but it sounds like they want to get this sorted out as much as you do. Hopefully they get it right this time.

Steeler28546
06-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will get something out to MC this week.

LittleFuss
06-03-2013, 08:16 PM
copy that document as much as you can. could be a bad alignment on the pulleys. just off the top of my head. once had a similar problem on a chevy 5.7L but that was in a truck.

Aric'sX15
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Good luck. The warranty guy is an a hole. Talked to him over the phone and said they
Had no idea my boat had so many problems. Texas mc took way better care of me than corporate would have.

petermegan
06-04-2013, 06:14 AM
There must be an alignment issue there somehow. Just wonder whether at that 24mph there is enough torque on the belt to distort a mount or throw the tensioner out. I would have thought alignment, tension, belt, are the only things that can be wrong?? I agree with the earlier comments though, so far you have done everything right. Have Fun.

thamax
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
May be the wrong belt. alignment u can check pretty easy with a straight edge

orbeamlb
06-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I too think you may have a pulley alignment issue. One of my cars back in the 90's that had issues eating up and pitching belts and the dealer finally determined on of the pulley driven components was sitting a little further back than the others. Once brought in line, no more belt issues.

Steeler28546
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Finally got it fixed, evidently there is now a brand new service bulletin on the "FEAD" bracket which attaches to all pulleys. This is now a recalled part and most people are only experiencing chirping as the out of alignment pulleys are going bad prematurely. They replaced my bracket and my chirping raw water pump and all is good!! Rode it at speed for nearly two hours without incident.

Table Rocker
06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Awesome. It certainly feels good to have a problem fixed. Not good enough to want more problems to fix, but a good feeling nonetheless.

SSMoose
06-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a pretty quick fix to me. Perhaps it took too many trips to the dealer but 10 days to sort out and fix would be ok with me.

ricford
06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Awesome, glad you got it sorted out. Sounds like your dealer deserves a shout out?

Kweisner
06-11-2013, 03:55 PM
So the other good news here is that evidently MC and the dealer network is functional. Most problems that result in a TSB are typically sourced in the field. Dealers communicate to manufacturer for warranty (and non-warranty) work and when the same issues recurs, the manufacturer correlates this to a defect which is then addressed via the TSB. At least that is how it should work in theory. Here it worked in practice which is another reason to be happy as a MC owner!