PDA

View Full Version : Buddies looking at a boat - good deal?

mzimme
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I gave my buddy boat fever over the last weekend, and talked mastercrafts up a lot. Anyway, he's looking at one, and it sounds good, just thought I'd get some people to concur on my assessment.

1999 Maristar 205V
275 hours
LTR motor
Perfect Pass
Cover
Bimini
ND Tower
Tower Speakers
Board Racks
Teak Deck (good shape)

It's on consignment at a dealer, they said they'd sell for 19,500 and would plumb in ballast with bags, and are completely redoing the interior. Saidt he boat belonged to a MasterCraft mechanic.

My buddy said it needed a little TLC (buff and wax) and the interior... otherwise to me this sounds like a deal he needs to snatch up. Agreed?

He's a long time Cobalt lover, who I pulled up on a surf board over the weekend, and have successfully turned him into an inboard lover. This will be his first boat.

nickespi
05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
All those extras on the 205v hull and under $20k. I say deal. Especially with new interior going in and ballast. I'd work in the option of new owner picking colors and materials.

TxsRiverRat
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
i figure with a new interior ~$2K minimum and a ballast bag ~$200 it's a decent deal.

I'd have them re-do the carpet at cost - as in no labor fee since they will already have the interior pulled..

nickespi
05-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Depending on number of pumps and bag sizes, you're looking at about $1k easy. One pump is around $200. Three is typical. Your smaller size bag for a rear locker is $150ish times 2. A KGB will run about $150. Add in connectors, thru-hull intake, hose, thru-hull vents/drains, labor..... Now your install may vary, but this is the typical setup that is run on early 2000 X Series.

mikeg205
05-31-2013, 12:05 AM
205v - nice... I like the new carpet idea - with tower.. I say go for it if the engine has been cared for too.

madcityskier
05-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Make him a deal on the Supra and grab it.

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Ahahaha..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

mzimme
05-31-2013, 08:16 AM

But... but... :(

madcityskier
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
But... but... :(

Your post says but... but your mind says yes.
You know you want it. You're probably twitching you need a hit of MastrrCraft so bad. Just tell your Buffy that this one is all done and you can save him a lot of time effort and possibly money.

mzimme
05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Your post says but... but your mind says yes.
You know you want it. You're probably twitching you need a hit of MastrrCraft so bad. Just tell your Buffy that this one is all done and you can save him a lot of time effort and possibly money.

You forget I still have my MC, you know... ;)

I called my dad last night trying to get him to buy it from me to keep it in the family. I used the trick where I had both him and my mom on speaker phone, and I could tell my mom was all in. My dad shot it down though... damn!

I had to move it to a different garage yesterday. She looked good behind the truck again. I need to dewinterize it and take her for a spin.

drschemel
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Damn, if yoyur buddy doesn't want it, or would rather have a pristine Tristar, I'll take it! I could be in KC this evening!!

madcityskier
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Most dealers take trades.

mzimme
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Most dealers take trades.

Haha... this is never gonna end is it?

madcityskier
05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
You know how it ends. We all now how it ends. Question is, now or later?

Rossterman
05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Be sure you get the specifics on the ballast system and upholstry work. Pump type, bag sizes ,kgb included, etc? You can then negotiate any changes at a small incremental cost instead of having to buy additional stuff later. E.g. You want fly hi 750's but they were going to put in 500's. You could pay the difference (very small) vs. selling the ones and buying what you want. They are doing a plain single color std vinyl upholstry w/o M/C embriodered logos and multi-color design when you wanted it to look stock.

My guess is they will be looking to do the least cost option on the repairs/upgrades so you don't want to be surprised with something where the corners were cut and it would have been a very small incremental expense to do right. Oh, and one last thing, make sure the details of all are included in the sales contract- not "install ballast system" but something like this " install ballast system with 3 Jabsco ballast buddy reversible pumps (640gph) each with individual 1" through hull fittings and hose, switches of oem design located in oem position......"

Without it specifically written out in the contract, you are at thier mercy and have no legal standing should a disagreement arise or they install something different than what you agreed to.