PDA

View Full Version : Doh! I stripped it!

homer12
05-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Well, pulled the move I'm sure others have. Tried to get the exhaust manifold plug in to tight and stripped the plug. It's a steel plug so I think the manifold threads are damaged too. Anyone ever drill out and tap the next size up? If so, what size assuming these are the 3/4" NPT.

gotta_ski
05-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Check and see if you can simply clean up the manifold threads. If not try to find a 7/8" pipe tap and plug, and if not that you may have to go with 1". I'd try and use the smallest size that will fill the hole. I've found that they don't need to be cranked down tight, just snug will do just fine. Good luck.

CantRepeat
05-30-2013, 07:45 AM
I would first chase the threads with the correct size tap and then put a lot of thread tape on the plug.

catamount
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Check out this thread, especially the final post of the thread:

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54102

thatsmrmastercraft
05-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Check and see if you can simply clean up the manifold threads. If not try to find a 7/8" pipe tap and plug, and if not that you may have to go with 1". I'd try and use the smallest size that will fill the hole. I've found that they don't need to be cranked down tight, just snug will do just fine. Good luck.

Ditto

d2jp
05-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I read a helpful tip on TT (well, a LOT of helpful tips), but anyway - hand tighten and then maybe just a quarter of a turn when de-winterizing 'dry'. Then, either in the driveway or lake with motor warm and running, inspect the manifold drains and only tighten as needed to stop any leaks. Prevents over-tightening/stripping.

homer12
05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys! And catamount, I thought I had seen that thread but couldn't find it.

I got a 3/4"-14 NPT thread chase at work that I will run through the manifold and some fresh brass plugs. We'll see how that goes (fingers crossed).

homer12
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Last night, I chase the whole with the tap and took it pretty far in so the plug will sink deeply into the whole. Wrapped some thread tape on the plug and twisted in snugly. Hopefully no leaks but I'll find out when I fire it up.
My threads seemed to be gunked up pretty badly with rust, carbon deposits and old thread tape. There were hardly any threads there so this cleaned them up real good.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Last night, I chase the whole with the tap and took it pretty far in so the plug will sink deeply into the whole. Wrapped some thread tape on the plug and twisted in snugly. Hopefully no leaks but I'll find out when I fire it up.
My threads seemed to be gunked up pretty badly with rust, carbon deposits and old thread tape. There were hardly any threads there so this cleaned them up real good.

Sounds promising.