PDA

View Full Version : Small restoration of my 1993 MC trailer

NWMike
05-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Bought my Prostar 190 in November '12 and just brought it home out of storage. Starting today on my trailer. Even though this has been garage kept since new and is in really good shape for 20 years old, can't help but want to make it even better. On tap are new wheels and tires, LED tail lights and side marker lights. Repainting the trailer white while adding chrome metal flake in the clear on the fenders. Also going to add back up lights after switching the wiring to a 5 wire. This Fall I'd like to replace the brake actuator and brake hardware just to bring it current. Attached are the before pics.

TxsRiverRat
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Small things make big differences...

instead of buying new wheels, i added open ended center caps ($22 for 2 closed, one open for spare @ discount tire) to the cheap wheels I have:

http://s23.postimg.org/av7g4ngyj/IMG_20121013_00276.jpg

I also had a fulton F2 installed - $130 for the jack + $40 weld by a local welder (we did the paint work afterwards):

http://s15.postimg.org/577v62bvf/IMG_4785.jpg

I also added new guide post covers ($40), LED lights ($130 for all), painted and clear coated the fenders ($450), added custom pre-cut non skid pads ($30), and even had brand new fenders backs made for it ($45)

http://s11.postimg.org/vdbu6kq6r/fenders02.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/mi8njh4ft/IMG_20130327_00431.jpg

Good luck and post pics - i love my 'new' trailer lol

NWMike
05-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Your boat and trailer look sharp. I have a new winch and was going to do the dolly as well this summer. I was hoping I wouldn't have to weld up a new mount but it sounds like there is no way around it. Just got the new guide post pads as well. Fenders are off and I've wet sanded them down with #400. Spraying in the morning.

mikeg205
05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Small things make big differences...

instead of buying new wheels, i added open ended center caps ($22 for 2 closed, one open for spare @ discount tire) to the cheap wheels I have:

http://s23.postimg.org/av7g4ngyj/IMG_20121013_00276.jpg

I also had a fulton F2 installed - $130 for the jack + $40 weld by a local welder (we did the paint work afterwards):

http://s15.postimg.org/577v62bvf/IMG_4785.jpg

I also added new guide post covers ($40), LED lights ($130 for all), painted and clear coated the fenders ($450), added custom pre-cut non skid pads ($30), and even had brand new fenders backs made for it ($45)

http://s11.postimg.org/vdbu6kq6r/fenders02.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/mi8njh4ft/IMG_20130327_00431.jpg

Good luck and post pics - i love my 'new' trailer lol

Like that a lot rat - are these the ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-EAGLE-ALLOYS-WHEEL-RIM-CENTER-CAP-ACC301-CHROME-PUSH-THRU-5-6-LUG-/330916006373?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%2 52BFICS%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D190674551682%26ps%3D54

mikeg205
05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Nice work on the 93 trailer work! :)

NWMike
05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Well, I sprayed the color and somehow I still had some contamination on one of the fenders. I let it cure overnight and have once again sanded them down. Will try to spray them again this weekend after a few wipe downs with wax and grease remover and several fresh rags. Now focusing on sanding and removing pinstripes and decals on the trailer. It's hard not to rush the process.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Really nice work. :toast:

Should you ever decide to replace the trailer wheels, I might know a guy who can help you out. :rolleyes:

NWMike
05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Actually, I just did but good to know. I got the Type 05 Aluminum rims. If the person you know sells on eBay, chances are I bought from them. I hope.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Actually, I just did but good to know. I got the Type 05 Aluminum rims. If the person you know sells on eBay, chances are I bought from them. I hope.

I sell direct. Don't do any ebay sales.

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Well, I sprayed the color and somehow I still had some contamination on one of the fenders. I let it cure overnight and have once again sanded them down. Will try to spray them again this weekend after a few wipe downs with wax and grease remover and several fresh rags. Now focusing on sanding and removing pinstripes and decals on the trailer. It's hard not to rush the process.

Yep - my body shop guy had spray and sand my fenders 4x!

TxsRiverRat
05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Like that a lot rat - are these the ones?

Mike, IDK the diameter, it took 4-5 discount tires to find them. I will measure tomorrow and let you know.

NWMike
06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Much better results this time. Got the color on this morning and just sprayed the clear with metal flake. Came out pretty good. Should look really good in the sun. Will tackle the trailer next week.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Very nice.

Voodoo
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Trailer, what trailer are you people looking at? All I saw was an E type covered in plastic.
Voodoo

NWMike
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Good eye. That is my other project that I hope to finish by next summer. 4 years into it, bought the car in boxes. Building to show it.

NWMike
06-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Sanded the chips out of the paint on the trailer. Should have it in DP40 (etching primer) by tonight. Testing some apple green pinstripes on the back corner to see if it will work with the hull colors to add a little pop.

NWMike
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Sealed the bare metal areas in DP40. Sanded. Having a metal plate made to mount a new tongue jack before I paint

NWMike
06-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Had a 3/16" metal adapter plate made at a local welding shop to mount up a new Fulton jack. 4 outside holes for the jack, 4 inside holes to plug weld to the old mount. Sealed this in etching primer also. Ready to paint.

NWMike
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Took some of the old decals off the back and wetsanded the shadow off. The boat has been bagged up and now just waiting for the weather to get better to start spraying.

NWMike
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
It's in paint now. The fun begins tomorrow putting all of the new parts on and all new wiring. I haven't even taken this boat out yet. Can't wait.

BARE5
06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Great job. Keep us posted.

NWMike
06-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Putting all of the details on now. Tomorrow I'll start rewiring it with a 5 wire harness and adding the LED lights.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
That came out looking really nice.

TxsRiverRat
06-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Mike - what paint did you use and what sprayer? Did you spray this thing where it sat? No issues with dust/dirt?

NWMike
06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I used Delstar single stage enamel, PPG. I matched the white on my Suburban so I could use the extra to touch up the trim on my truck. Using medium reducer it flashes of pretty fast so dust didn't have time to settle. I tried the fast stuff on the fenders and it flashes way too fast. For a 65 degree day, the medium worked fine. Not must dust at all meaning you would really have to look for it. I actually got more dust on the fenders shooting them in my garage than I did outside. Having the fan sucking the air out I think circulated the air enough to disturb the dust. Being that it was clear coat, it can be lightly wet sanded and buffed out.

Had a calm day and wet everything down around me. Sprayed it right in the driveway. I have my favorite Binks spray gun, old siphon style, since I wasn't really going for showroom quality. If I did it over, I would have elevated the trailer a bit more so I could get better coverage under some of the rails. Laid a big tarp out so I didn't get any overspray on the driveway.

NWMike
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Side shot. Still need to rewire it, lights, pinstripe and secure the fenders. I left the old side reflectors off and instead used a 3M diamond reflective product. Much stronger reflective properties than the originals.

johnboat
06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Nice work on the trailers! Mine has a few dents in it and your pics are good inspiration. Any idea on where to get the brake parts?

Thx.

NWMike
06-18-2013, 01:07 AM
I haven't done brakes yet. In a few weeks I'll pull the drums off to see if they're tired or have been rebuilt recently. Scrambling to get it ready for Friday to take east of the mountains to finally get it on the water. I sanded the transom with #1500 after the #1000 and buffed it this morning, came out great. I put a newer decal on the back and it looks great. I'll shoot a pic and post.

NWMike
06-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Had to do the decal before I started on the lights to get a little jazzed up before I dig into the wiring.

TxsRiverRat
06-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I used Delstar single stage enamel, PPG. I matched the white on my Suburban so I could use the extra to touch up the trim on my truck. Using medium reducer it flashes of pretty fast so dust didn't have time to settle. I tried the fast stuff on the fenders and it flashes way too fast. For a 65 degree day, the medium worked fine. Not must dust at all meaning you would really have to look for it. I actually got more dust on the fenders shooting them in my garage than I did outside. Having the fan sucking the air out I think circulated the air enough to disturb the dust. Being that it was clear coat, it can be lightly wet sanded and buffed out.

Had a calm day and wet everything down around me. Sprayed it right in the driveway. I have my favorite Binks spray gun, old siphon style, since I wasn't really going for showroom quality. If I did it over, I would have elevated the trailer a bit more so I could get better coverage under some of the rails. Laid a big tarp out so I didn't get any overspray on the driveway.

Thanks man! It looks awesome!

NWMike
06-19-2013, 02:36 AM
I ordered a sheet of Hydro Turf for the fender tops. Cut out the MC logo and although it's not perfect, it's pretty comfortable if you're barefooted. This material is typically used for the cockpit areas of jetskis and other PWC. Cost about $80 for a 60'x60" +/- sheet with 3m adhesive backing. Cheaper if you skip the adhesive but I wouldn't. Part of me wished I had gone with black.

Fast50dad
06-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Looks great. Dig the rear LED's.

NWMike
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Added back up lights which put out more light than I thought they would. Drilled and tapped the holes for these to mount.

NWMike
06-20-2013, 03:54 AM
And now we have lights! All new wiring and LED lights. Almost done. Still need to mount new pitot tubes for the speedometers and pin stripe the trailer. I pitched the carpet from the inside of the wheel wells and used the rubber mat from the fenders.

Didn't have time to put a new fuel pump in it before I leave in the morning to go east so I'll put it in when I get there. Should be on the water this Saturday. It's been 20 years since I last skied behind a '93 which was the last year I skied for the University of West Florida's ski team in Pensacola FL. This will be a trip back in time for me. A lot of great memories.

NWMike
06-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Oh yeah, and oil the swim deck! Didn't want to touch the oil during the painting process.

ccelia
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Looks great Mike, you have done some quality work. Thanks for sharing your restoration and enjoy the boat this weekend. It's always great to see the fruits of your labor when restoring an older ski boat. I used to love when people asked if my 89 prostar was a few years old!

NWMike
06-20-2013, 11:23 AM
One last shot before we hit the road. Still has it's original cover which I'm only going to use for towing. Thanks everyone.

Ski-me
06-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Trailer looks great and you have some cool ideas. Especially the backup lights. I might try that out down the road, too.

So, where are you heading (looks like you are in the Seattle area)? I'm taking off myself later today going in your direction up to N. Idaho! Fly out of Spokane on Saturday.....

chriscraftmatt1976
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
looks great. now you've got me thinkin bout mine....

Hey, off topic, is that a Jag mine eyes spot in the background...

Never mind, i should read the threads better. beautiful car.

NWMike
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Jeff, heading over to Lake Chelan for the weekend. Can't get over there enough. I run to Spokane every other month or so as well. Nice area.

Matt, yes, that's my '69 e-type I've been working on. I need to buckle down and get serious on that project again. It has been off the road since '79 when the previous owner took it apart. I bought it in boxes around 2004 and started the rebuilding process at a snails pace but getting close.

chriscraftmatt1976
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Jeff, heading over to Lake Chelan for the weekend. Can't get over there enough. I run to Spokane every other month or so as well. Nice area.

Matt, yes, that's my '69 e-type I've been working on. I need to buckle down and get serious on that project again. It has been off the road since '79 when the previous owner took it apart. I bought it in boxes around 2004 and started the rebuilding process at a snails pace but getting close.

some pics in the non boat toys thread would be killer...

Ski-me
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM

That's cool. I've actually never been the Chelan but I've heard it's nice. I have a lot of friends that go out there. I'm over in the CDA area on Hayden. Been there since I was 2 years old. Love it!

Have a safe trip!

NWMike
06-27-2013, 12:56 AM
ChriscraftMatt, where is the non-boat section of this forum? I'll drop some pics of my Jag on there.

Boat did great over the weekend. Was very cold blooded when starting. Pulled the spark arrestor off and realized the choke wasn't working when I got back. It's now connected and should run much better. Nice to ski behind a Mastercraft again.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Go to the Off Topic Discussion section.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14

NWMike
06-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks. Just posted there.

Ski-me
08-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Mike, I just got my F2 Jack and can't quite figure out if I can drill new holes in my weld-on plate to adapt to my 94 trailer. I see you welded yours on. Did you have someone cut the other one off and weld just the new plate on or did you add another plate? It looks like it sticks out just a hair more than the 1/2" plate I received with the jack.

NWMike
08-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I welded a 3/16" plate over the stand offs the stock unit had. In the plate I had made, I had the drill 4 1/2" holes that would line up over the 4 tabs from the old jack. I then plug welded them onto the tabs as well as around the perimeter. I couldn't find a weld on plate for my Fulton jack. It now sticks out just a little bit more (3/16") but it is just extra clearance for the jack to swing up.

Ryan
08-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Wow! Nice work.
Reminds me of starting a full restoration on my last boat trailer. Sadly I found the axle was strucutrally weak and wound up replacing the trailer for a lower net cost. Painted it black, basically doing two restorations over two months.

NWMike
08-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Ski-Me, it hit me as to what you were asking. I actually wanted to bolt mine on but I think where my new jack swivels, there wouldn't have been enough clearance to get at the bolts. The stock jacks must have been very unique in their bolt placement since it seems hard to find a decent bolt on solution. Actually, putting the plate on was much easier

atlfootr
08-18-2013, 06:10 PM
I sell direct. Don't do any ebay sales.
Next time you are looking to buy tires call Tmmc!