PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the leak

tdjaster
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out what's making my bilge fill. I know it's not the packing, I replaced that recently. When I got home from the lake today, I filled the bilge area with water while leaving the plug in to see if I could see anything leaking under boat...nothing.

What are some of the most common areas in and around the engine that might be leaking?

Shilohsho
05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Packing at the rudder?

tdjaster
05-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Packing at the rudder?

Wouldn't that have leaked, though, when I filled the bilge with water?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Rub rail is a good possibility...

tdjaster
05-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Rub rail is a good possibility...

Really? How would I figure that one out?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Look inside gunwales to see if daylight/flashlight shines through.

shunra
05-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Check the raw water through hull fitting where the hose clamps on. I had a leak there and eventually found it by putting water in the boat. It took adding an uncomfortable amount of water before I found the leak though. Water Level had to be pretty high so you might not have gone high enough with your test.

A couple turns with a screw driver on the two hose clamps that hold the hose on to the through hull and problem was solved.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Table Rocker
05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I had a pinhole leak in one of the mufflers. It would leak the most when sitting still and they filled up with water. A fiberglass repair job on the end of the muffler and I have a dry bilge now.

TOO-TALL
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Ballast bag/hose leak? My steeing arm rubed a hole in one of my ballast hoses.noticed water in bildge.Got a new hose and tied it up out of the way.

tdjaster
05-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Ballast bag/hose leak? My steeing arm rubed a hole in one of my ballast hoses.noticed water in bildge.Got a new hose and tied it up out of the way.

No plumbed ballast.

SP Maristar
05-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I left a shower hose off after winterizing. The leak from this hose dribbled right past my through hull fitting for the engine making it look like that fitting was leaking.

tdjaster
05-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I left a shower hose off after winterizing. The leak from this hose dribbled right past my through hull fitting for the engine making it look like that fitting was leaking.

No shower either.

My fault for not being more specific. It's a '98 SportStar with the 5.0 motor.

98Prostar205
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Check where the rubber hoses for the speedo pickups come through the hull. These are actually above the bilge on my 98 205, but below the waterline when the boat is in the water. I filled my bilge and didn't find the leak that way. I wound up pulling the gas tank to find it, but now it is fixed! My pickup tubes had separated from the silicone sealant. The tubes weren't actually leaking, but water was getting in around the tubes.

88 PS190
05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Pull dog house, pull rear floor section, rear seat etc.

Dry bilge completely, then launch the boat. You need to be able to see back to the rudder packing to be sure, could even be mufflers leaking.

tdjaster
05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Check where the rubber hoses for the speedo pickups come through the hull. These are actually above the bilge on my 98 205, but below the waterline when the boat is in the water. I filled my bilge and didn't find the leak that way. I wound up pulling the gas tank to find it, but now it is fixed! My pickup tubes had separated from the silicone sealant. The tubes weren't actually leaking, but water was getting in around the tubes.

Hmmmm. You've got me thinking.

Thanks.

tdjaster
05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Pull dog house, pull rear floor section, rear seat etc.

Dry bilge completely, then launch the boat. You need to be able to see back to the rudder packing to be sure, could even be mufflers leaking.

Sounds like I have a project for this weekend.

Thanks!

88 PS190
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
May not need to do it all - but if you haven't greased back there lately, it is time.

east tx skier
05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
My money is on one of the mufflers right around where the rubber hose connects to the rear.

MikeyOrange88
05-28-2013, 05:24 PM
^ x2. On mine, the rubber hose to exhaust flange at the transom only had one clamp on it, and it was not that tight. Added a second clamp and tightened securely. Done.

I believe I inadvertently loosened up that connection when the heads were removed as I just left the exhaust manifold/riser/hose/muffler combo intact and laid them over to the side to work on engine.

jetlife
06-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Try the Muffler. My '06 197 had a leak on the seam where the cone and the tube came together, poor sealing job. $.50 worth of two part epoxy and it will never leak again. I found it by removing the dog house and floor and saw a very small drip trail from the muffler. I also used a little WD-40 to make the exhaust hose slide on the muffler to make the removal and install easier.