PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Trains Anyone know anything about them?

lakeoz tristar
05-27-2013, 09:10 PM
I just came into possession of a 60 plus year old box of trains. tracks and little plastic buildings. The train is Lionel and there appear to be several different sets of trains and possibly tracks. The Buildings are by Plasticville, U.S.A.

I did a search on EBAY just to see what they are worth and I am not sure if they are worth anything or not? The little buildings seem to be in the $10 to $50 depending on the age.

I guess I am looking for someone who has knowledge of these trains and sets before I just give them away.

The trains seem to be in very good condition compared to the one's listed on EBAY but they do not have to boxes that they came in. The plastic buildings do have the boxes and appear to be in great condition except for a price that was put on the boxes at a garage sale at some point. I have not tried to put the pieces together to see if it even works but it does have the power units (transformers) and several switch plates.

Also if you know how to read the markings for dates or anything like that would be a great help.

I can post some pictures later tonight after the hockey game. Go Wings!!!

Double D
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
I have an 50's era American Flyer S-Gauge that I pull out every Christmas. The best bet would be to go to a Train Show. Best place to figure out value, IMO.

Hadley
05-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Train prices are a little down right now, but here is still a market for them. Boxes greatly increase the value of anything train related. There is a price guide for lionel trains that might be worth getting. Here is a link to the priceguide. it is called Greenberg's Pocket Price Guide to Lionel Trains

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0897785444

Cloaked
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
I just came into possession of a 60 plus year old box of trains. tracks and little plastic buildings. The train is Lionel and there appear to be several different sets of trains and possibly tracks. The Buildings are by Plasticville, U.S.A.

I did a search on EBAY just to see what they are worth and I am not sure if they are worth anything or not? The little buildings seem to be in the $10 to $50 depending on the age.

I guess I am looking for someone who has knowledge of these trains and sets before I just give them away.

The trains seem to be in very good condition compared to the one's listed on EBAY but they do not have to boxes that they came in. The plastic buildings do have the boxes and appear to be in great condition except for a price that was put on the boxes at a garage sale at some point. I have not tried to put the pieces together to see if it even works but it does have the power units (transformers) and several switch plates.

Also if you know how to read the markings for dates or anything like that would be a great help.

I can post some pictures later tonight after the hockey game. Go Wings!!!There is a web site and a serious society of Lionel hobbyists in or near Cincinnati, OH. I can only recommend a search but there is everything you could possibly want to know there. A previous co-worker showed it to me about four years ago, where he and his Dad are charter members, etc....

jafo9
05-29-2013, 10:52 PM
if you decide to get rid of them, let me know. i'll add them to my tiny collection i've had since i was a kid.

lakeoz tristar
05-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies I will look into it some more..not in a hurry to off load them just thought I might have had a pot of gold to support my MC habits.. Is there rehab for that by the way? ha ha

gotta_ski
05-30-2013, 02:57 AM
There is a guy here in Spokane who is considered an expert on Lionel trains. He could tell you exactly what you've got. I'll find his number tomorrow and pm you.

dboat
05-30-2013, 09:57 AM
There's train shows all the time in Spokane, I'd imagine other cities have train shows frequently too.