PDA

View Full Version : What new computer would you get?

fskof
05-27-2013, 08:53 PM
If you had to purchase a new computer what would you be getting? I was at Best Buy today and was a little surprised at all of the options you can get today from cheap lap tops to high end $$$ Apple products. There was something in every price range. I havent shopped for computers in 4 years. Wow things have changed...lol I had my eye on the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display.
So if you had to buy something today what would you be getting?

CantRepeat
05-27-2013, 08:54 PM
A HAL 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8dHc3VqKH4

2RLAKE
05-27-2013, 08:59 PM
MacBook Air ... love mine

jeff.leitheiser
05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Also a huge Macbook Pro fan... They just use the best hardware throughout their entire machine. Not just a few key selling points but the entire machine.

fskof
05-27-2013, 09:05 PM
I see we have a few Apple fans here. I was very impressed with the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display. Seems to be a very well built machine. Anyone have one and dont like it?

gweaver
05-27-2013, 09:27 PM
How much do you know about computers, what do you want to do with it, how much do you want to spend? I'm a bit of an enthusiast, so I spec and build my own at Newegg. They've got some pretty well set-up systems (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=30000007+600084356+600090100+4022&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=-1&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=). You'll need to add peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc), and they should be powerful enough for most needs. Pre-built systems from the major mfgs (Dell, HP, etc) are nice from a convenience standpoint, but I'm not a fan of proprietary hardware and drivers. More 'boutique' sellers (IBuyPower, CyberPower, etc) are pretty nice, and their configuration software allows you to spec out your system and get a price immediately. Plus, they'll make sure the hardware is all compatible, install your OS and make sure it's tested.
Bottom line, $4-500 for a good desktop for internet, word processing, etc. $750 is a decent gaming system/home theater, but $1000 is more the norm. Over about $1500 is a solid gaming system capable of running most games at the highest settings and CAD software won't lag much.
Figure out your usage and power needs, and go to town!!
G

ctjahn
05-27-2013, 09:38 PM
If you had to purchase a new computer what would you be getting? I was at Best Buy today and was a little surprised at all of the options you can get today from cheap lap tops to high end $$$ Apple products. There was something in every price range. I havent shopped for computers in 4 years. Wow things have changed...lol I had my eye on the 15" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display.
So if you had to buy something today what would you be getting?

I work in IT and I (well my employer) just bought me a new ULTRA BOOK (a year ago now.) Definitely light, cool, sleek, and easy... Highly recommend an HP Ultra Book.

(from an Ipod, Iphone5, Ipad user - but I need something with a bit more power than an IPAD....)

Cj

bbymgr
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
My last two computers were speced and built on Alienware. They have some of the top components you will find anywhere.

rjracin240
05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Not much of a computer person, but have been able to get arround on XP & Windows 7 with no issues. Recently bought a HP at a very reasonable price from Best Buy, no worries from the computer..............but if I had the chance to see one of those microsoft geeks that came out with windoows 8, he would find that computer shoved up where the sun does not shine.

blakekrone
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
If you are looking to buy an Apple product I would advise against it at the moment. Refresh on laptops will be at WWDC the first part of June which will drive down prices on existing product lines and also give you some newer options to go with. You can't go wrong with an Apple product that is for sure.

stuartmcnair
05-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Apple - 15-inch Macbook Pro
PC - Lenovo T Series

Cheap laptops are just that. Either the T-Series Lenovo or the Apple products will give you years of use without hardware issues.

ski_king
05-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Sort of a thread hijack.

Does anybody (other than me) still use a desktop computer at home?
I am spoiled with my 24 in led screen at work and have the same at home. I would hate to drop in screen size from 24 to 15 or 17. Yes I know you can connect a moniter to a laptop. Also if you accidentally dump a drink into a keyboard, no big deal. Maybe a $10 keyboard replacement. However if you do the same to a laptop you are screwed.

JMLVMI
05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Sort of a thread hijack.

I am spoiled with my 24 in led screen at work and have the same at home. I would hate to drop in screen size from 24 to 15 or 17. Yes I know you can connect a moniter to a laptop. Also if you accidentally dump a drink into a keyboard, no big deal. Maybe a $10 keyboard replacement. However if you do the same to a laptop you are screwed.

If you run a powerful enough laptop, you can have your cake and eat it too :cool::

http://f.cl.ly/items/202Q063b1t0G0c3e0I1X/4-monitors.png

To the OP, I unequivocally recommend Apple products. If you are a recreational computer user, the MacBook Air 13" base model is the best choice for you. I've owned one (out of at least two dozen computers in my life) and it was the 2nd best computer ever...right behind my current $2200 (overkill) MacBook Pro with Retina Display :D

TxsRiverRat
05-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Iím one of those peeps in the minority that hate all things apple. ipods, ipads, macs, iphones...

until they stop being so controlling over what i can and can not install, what software must be used, provide the ability to usb transfer my data on/off of it, and put in my own expandable memory, iíll never own anything apple.

communistic is a good way to describe their control over their products

gweaver
05-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Desktop- yes. We only have one computer in the house, it functions as our media machine/web access. Currently connected to a 42" LCD tv. It's a little inconvenient for web browsing, but whatever.
As far as Apple goes, I see the value of a manufacturer controlling both the hardware and software side of things, from a quality perspective, but I agree, their environment is too restrictive. For me, living in a desktop environment, hardware accessibility and the ability to change components is important. Processor, video, memory upgrades are something I look for. I find Apple too controlling, to challenging to upgrade components for newer versions. While there's something to be said for Apple's design ethos (their stuff looks good), I'm not willing to pay for it. Their performance certainly isn't worth the added cost.
I was reading wired.com today, they had mentioned Apple's '1984' commercial. If you listen to the background voice, it sounds like Apple has become what they were reviling when they made the commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUcNLTsyYo).

"We have created for the first time in all history a garden of pure ideology, where each worker may bloom, secure from the pests of any contradictory true thoughts.
Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.
We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause."
G

Ski-me
05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
If you go HP laptop, my wife has been using their "Envy" line and, although it looks like some of the Apple products, she hates the mousepad. It's so large that your thumbs, fingers, etc accidentally touch it making the cursor jump to a completely different area. It's really annoying!!

Her boss jumped on real quickly to type something up and said, "man this mouse pad is annoying!...how can you work on it?!"

Anyways, just an fyi.

mzimme
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
As far as apple goes, love them or hate them, they are a solid company. I was at a leadership conference a few weeks back and the speaker had sat in a room with a bunch of apple hot-shots. They were talking and mentioned that they turn good ideas down all day, every day. They say they only want excellent ideas, and that while they might be a multi-billion dollar company, they culd fit every single one of the products on an average persons kitchen table. Something to think about...

I don't use apple products either because I don't like how restrictive they are, but a whole lot of consumer dollars say people just don't care about that aspect of things.

homer12
05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Been using a Dell laptop for a year and a half very happily now.
Also, had a MacBook Pro for 7 good years before that. There hardware and software seems to last a while, but on the other hand technology changes so fast I don't ever want to keep using a laptop that long again.

Traxx822
05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
I just got the new Microsoft Surface Pro. I can install whatever I want on it. It is a full version of Windows 8 pro. USB (killer) the stylus is amazing & core I5 & 4 gb ram.

It is what my business has been waiting for.

Apple has nothing to compare.

I want to get that new HP that breaks apart from the keyboard. Looks nice.

I also run a 23" dual screen in my home office (21" dials in my fiance's office) both on windows 8 & both I7's with at 8gb ram.

Windows may be last to the market. But they nailed it with windows 8 and the new surface pro's

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Traxx822
05-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I had to :0

GoneBoatN
05-28-2013, 07:48 PM
It's like buying a boat - it depends upon what you look to doing with it.

Let's assume you are not looking at doing something or so much of something that it absolutely drives you towards Apple products. Then I would stay with Microsoft OS as the most open and most versatile.

Now on to build your own with best of class components vs buy debate - don't do they build your own unless you get some kind of joy from doing so. Otherwise, your best of class components are going to be outdated next month and all you achieved was dumping a bunch of money into something you could have gotten for less because you will never beat the price purchasing power of a major manufacturer. Sure some will tell you that the manufacture puts in the lowest capable power supply (yada, yada, yada) but you can always change that out for just a few bucks. Figure out what you need (CPU, graphics card (do you do a lot of gaming), Wireless speed, network speed, disk space). Chance are you will find something decently priced at Costco, some online store or some other place other than Best Buy (what an oxymoron) that will fit your needs.

Case in point, my home machine is for the wife and kids. Been running for years as they web browse, run email, a few simple office apps (word, excel), some school apps hosted on internet, some low end games. It was a middle of the road consumer desktop when I bought it years ago. As far as games go on it, I don't care as they have a game console for that and would rather not have them loading a bunch of crxp software that tends to be problematic. Now my work laptop is more of the commercial workstation type and is where I run my video editing software - wife and kids don't dare even look at it let alone touch it.

Again, all depends upon what you want out of it. Why buy a Mastercraft direct drive if all you are going to do is go fishing?

GoneBoatN
05-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Sort of a thread hijack.

I do. It is the family computer. Fits the needs for what they do with it. Also as you mention above, just exactly why I will not replace it until it dies. The wife now has an Android based 10" table - it's the cats meow to her.