PDA

View Full Version : Made in the USA!

Rossterman
05-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Getting ready for the season and figured it was about time to Give everything a good going over on the 2001 205v tandem axle trailer. Tires looked almost new when I bought the boat last spring and have given me zero problems. Took the tire off to install some new center caps to keep the grease off the rims and clean/treat the backside of the tire. Know tires have a limited life and the tires on the trailer were the originals made in 2000. Mixed feelings about tossing them as they Still have some of the moulding nubs on them even though 12 years old!

Have read that many had problems with Goodyear marathons (which I have) beginning ~ 2006- tread failing within a couple of years of purchase and decided to investigate why mine have been so trouble free. Checked the plant code on the sidewall and to no surprise they were made in Tyler Texas. I understand most of goodyear's production of these tires was offshored to china a few years ago. What a shame!

With all the crap you hear about the scandals in china manufacturing (melamine in dog food, lead in baby food, etc) due to greed and lack of integrity, you wonder if the those getting the big pay checks at Goodyear understand how much this has damaged their reputation? And whether their short term profit was worth what they lost in future sales? I'm sure they are still getting their big pay checks and stock options (while the good folks working in Tyler got a pink slip instead).

Does anyone know if there is a good Trailer tire still built in the USA? Right know about the only thing I see is choosing one of the better china manufacturers such as the khumo D rated?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Emission control and unions have driven tire manufacturing out of the U.S. You are out of luck on a trailer tire built in the USA.

cbryan70
05-28-2013, 04:19 PM
you could of at least given him some prices on good tires in your post........still in a fog from the weekend arnt you. :-)