PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up? Cutlass bearing replacement

john jones
05-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I replaced my cutlass bearings on my 93 Maristar. Pretty easy project, but when I installed the new ones I forgot to check which way the channels or vanes were running. Of course after I installed them they weren't positioned the same. I thought about trying to remove one and position it so it was like the other, but after over thinking it and looking at it for 10 minutes I figured I would post the question.

My thought is.. Water will go around the shaft so it should be ok. It isn't like the channel runs the whole length of the strut, so if they are offset water will still go through. I hope I am over thinking this, just looking for advice.

Thanks

Cloaked
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
I replaced my cutlass bearings on my 93 Maristar. Pretty easy project, but when I installed the new ones I forgot to check which way the channels or vanes were running. Of course after I installed them they weren't positioned the same. I thought about trying to remove one and position it so it was like the other, but after over thinking it and looking at it for 10 minutes I figured I would post the question.

My thought is.. Water will go around the shaft so it should be ok. It isn't like the channel runs the whole length of the strut, so if they are offset water will still go through. I hope I am over thinking this, just looking for advice.

ThanksI don't think it matters. Read here for reference and maybe some info that will directly answer your concern... ( http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

d2jp
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM
I did mine yesterday: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54563

I don't think it's a big deal if they are not aligned. Maybe if you ran in very sandy, silty water where flow could be impeded it *might* be a bigger deal but probably not.

Depending upon what style of bearing you are working with - I doubt you can get one out w/o damaging it. I replaced the bronze/rubber with XPC and they are a snug fit in the strut.

Use it and enjoy this season, if it bothers you put it on the winter list of things to do!

john jones
05-27-2013, 12:59 PM
I forgot to mention. I installed the new xpc bearings. I was trying to get done before it started raining and didn't even think about positioning. I will run it this summer and not worry about it.

My biggest concern is trying to find a 53" driveshaft, since mine has a slight bend in it!:( Guess that explains the vibration at 2000rpm!

d2jp
05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
I forgot to mention. I installed the new xpc bearings. I was trying to get done before it started raining and didn't even think about positioning. I will run it this summer and not worry about it.

My biggest concern is trying to find a 53" driveshaft, since mine has a slight bend in it!:( Guess that explains the vibration at 2000rpm!

See if a local maching shop can get it straight (depending upon how much it's out...).

3ponds
05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
I have a new 53" prop shaft. PM'd you multiple times by accident, Let me know if your interested.

john jones
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
thanks for the response! sent you a pm