PDA

View Full Version : May be taking the plunge...

JMLVMI
05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

First post on the forum. Been in love with MC's since I can remember, and I might be able to finally get my own.

Going to check this out this weekend: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/3774037914.html

Other info I've found out:

Powerslot Transmission
Hour meter says 350, but engine was refreshed since then
That is an MC trailer, never seen a galvanized.
Guy who owns it seems really detailed and cool
Original interior, no rips or tears

It's significantly more than other ProStars in my area, but with a neutral (dare I say timeless) paint scheme and super clean history, I'm willing to pay the right price for a boat I can own for years. What say you, MCers?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-24-2013, 05:58 PM
looks very clean and well taken care, of course the pictures could be 10 yrs old just sayin, definatly worth checking out...

JMLVMI
05-24-2013, 06:00 PM
looks very clean and well taken care, of course the pictures could be 10 yrs old just sayin, definatly worth checking out...

Thanks James...the timestamps on the lake pictures show 2012 so at least I've got those :-)

ricford
05-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Looks well taken care of. I would definitely offer him less than 15k. My 96 LT1 with 320 hours was 13k, although this one looks a little nicer.

SWGA Boater
05-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Looks really nice. Hopefully there is a little woggle room with the price. Cash always talks...

ski_king
05-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Looks like a great boat!

The galvanized trailer may be a sign of use salt or brackish water. It looks too good to have been used in salt, but give the engine a good look over.

MASTIQUE
05-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Motor box looks a little off kilter??

snork
05-24-2013, 07:58 PM
on a galvanised trailer and lots of new stuff too
might want to find where the boat originated

Cloaked
05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Galvanized is typically indicative of saltwater or brackish. That boat has been for sale for quite some time that I can recall.

Re-power and other new parts lead me to think twice about the origin and life story....

Approach with caution.... $0.02

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Galvanized is typically indicative of saltwater or brackish. That boat has been for sale for quite some time that I can recall.

Re-power and other new parts lead me to think twice about the origin and life story....

Approach with caution.... $0.02

X2, I thought I had seen that boat before...

AZDave
05-24-2013, 08:33 PM
If you open the engine cover and see a flush kit added, it may indicate salt/brackish use. Any white chalky residue coming out of the manifolds or risers, not good. The galvanized trailer, though a red flag is a plus. Look the struts and prop area over for repairs. Check the keel for beaching. Get it out in the sun and walk it over and over. And make sure there is very little vibration at slalom speeds. 15k about right for a garaged low hour boat, so this is a little high. But hey it is 18 years old, and if it checks out, 15k or not it is gonna be a great boat.

ski_king
05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Don't trust anybody who can't spell slalom.

snork
05-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't trust anybody who can't spell slalom.

what, you never heard of a sloem before?

mikeg205
05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Worth checking out. But I am with the caution brigade. Would love to see some shots of the engine. Why was it refreshed at 350? rust issue - over heat? Nice boat but owner trying to recoup cash. I would take a look but keep on looking - or offer $13K IMO

JMLVMI
05-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. Seems like an awesome community here...even if it's not this boat, I hope to join as an "actual" member soon!

Should be able to check it out Monday, I'll let you know and maybe provide some pics.

Cloaked
05-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. Seems like an awesome community here...even if it's not this boat, I hope to join as an "actual" member soon!

Should be able to check it out Monday, I'll let you know and maybe provide some pics.
Suggestion; do a simple compression check on each cylinder and pull the wheels on the trailer. Look at the back mating surface of the wheel (to the hub) for salt residue. A benchmark for comparison, regardless of your decision...

The engines compression would be a must...

$0.02

Cloaked
05-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Nice boat but owner trying to recoup cash. I would take a look but keep on looking - or offer $13K IMOExactly.......