PDA

View Full Version : My first bag with a question

uplander
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Purchased a 900 bag from Wakemakers and stopped at the Marina today and they stated that I should look into a smaller pitch prop to handle the load to not damage the engine.

My current prop is a 4 blade 17V HCOJ 13.7X

Any input is appreciated

nickespi
05-23-2013, 12:34 AM
14.75x15.5 This is what I switched to. I had the 14x20 prior to. There is a huge difference. So much that even my wife noticed. Pops you right out of the water and has the low end that you need for surfing without losing all the top end.

swatguy
05-23-2013, 12:41 AM
If you only have a 900lb bag I wouldn't worry too much. If you decide to start adding more weight getting the right prop will save you fuel, get you much better performance, and help your engine stay in its sweet spot much easier. If you are running a full crew with the added 900 then for sure you may want to opt for the new prop now, but if its a minimal assortment of people and just the 900lb bag you should be fine.

Noticed you have an I/O so you will want to put that more towards the bow in ghe walkway and trim the engine up just a bit for the best performance. Lots of wakeboarders with I/o's love the merc high five props. The help the I/o's maintain speeds much better in the wakeboard range

nickespi
05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Coop, change your boat info lol

uplander
05-23-2013, 01:05 AM
thanks I still have the Crownline if anyone is looking.

swatguy
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Ahhhh thought it was odd........ What engine do you have in your X30? That 900lb sac should go unnoticed again depending on if your boat is full of people. I would start with that single sac right on the floor in front of the rear seat or on the rear bench for your best result .

If you are doing a lot of board sports anytime the boat is moving I would also suggest a prop . Way back when the original props on the boats were not lined up for specific applications. It's was a prop that had the most midline performance from top to bottom on the engine curve. If you use your boat specifically to board over half the time in the water even without the 900 you would benefit from swapping a prop. It helps with hole shot, maintaining speed, and rpm values in certain ranges.

For simplicity sake, Think of a prop like the gear box for a car. Your factory prop is like 3-4th gear. It's smooth all around. Little sluggish on the low end when u want umff but can get you the top end. Your rpms are low at the low speeds. Now drop a more aggressive prop on there and you can drop a gear or two. Now though u lose a bit of top end gain a ton of hole shot bit for the boarding speeds which are much slower. You are no more in the sweet spot of the engine curve and get better acceleration and throttle response. Again this is just a simpatico explanation. There are tons of different props that all have specs for a reason that will add thing here and there but the gist of it is that.

I pretty much have a "first gear" prop on my boat. I push 3000lbs though. The upside I my hole shot feels like no weight is in the boat and it holds speed much easier thought all the wakeboarding speeds. Te down side is if I plan on skiing(and I do slalom). It will eat my gas alive as I am on the upper rpm range and close to wide open throttle at 32-34mph.

Can u benefit from an upgrade.......sure, at this point with that amount of weight is it a necessity no. Are you destroying your motor......no. If you get to the 1500 lb mark of ballast I would say now its a necessity

uplander
05-24-2013, 12:10 AM
I have the same motor you have the LTR 330