PDA

View Full Version : Any LEOs on the board???

erkoehler
10-01-2005, 04:19 AM
I am planning a future in law enforcement, and wanted to see if there were any fellow "cops" on the board? :D

I have almost completed my associates degree, and alot of my professors (who are also cops) are recommendding securing a position before completing my 4 year degree. They say that with the amount of troops currently deployed overseas, we are likely to see a great influx of said persons into law enforcement when they return, thus making it that much harder for us to get a position without military experience and other LE experience? :confused:

What is your take on this? :rolleyes: I have started to watch some other forums and job listings, and quite of few of the suburban departments only require a H.S. diploma or GED. I have my diploma, and am already almost 1/2 way through college, and would definetly return to classes once I was off probation in a department.

André
10-01-2005, 08:03 AM
I know one of our member in Florida is a Police officer,can't remember his user name,sorry!

Ric
10-01-2005, 09:33 AM
I know one of our member in Florida is a Police officer,can't remember his user name,sorry!

begin:

THE ERKLE CAREER THREAD

Ric
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
I am planning a future in law enforcement, and wanted to see if there were any fellow "cops" on the board? :D

I have almost completed my associates degree, and alot of my professors (who are also cops) are recommendding securing a position before completing my 4 year degree. They say that with the amount of troops currently deployed overseas, we are likely to see a great influx of said persons into law enforcement when they return, thus making it that much harder for us to get a position without military experience and other LE experience? :confused:

What is your take on this? :rolleyes: I have started to watch some other forums and job listings, and quite of few of the suburban departments only require a H.S. diploma or GED. I have my diploma, and am already almost 1/2 way through college, and would definetly return to classes once I was off probation in a department.

they are correct
guys with military experience are going to be pouring into the job markets. Pilots, law enforcement, civil engineering, you name it. It's a good thing but you better be ready to compete if you're not willing to join the military first.

Farmer Ted
10-01-2005, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't be to concerned with the people who are deployed overseas coming home and sucking up all available jobs. The majority that are overseas are active duty and will continue serving on active duty when they return, some I'm sure will "punch out" shortly after they get back and will be looking for employment. The Gaurd/Reserver troops that are deployed "should" have the same job waiting for them that they left at the beginning of the deployment.

You should be more concerned with future retirees (1 year and 6 days to go :banana: ) As soon as my A&P is finished I'm pulling chocks and you can call me Mr!

PendO
10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
they are correct
guys with military experience are going to be pouring into the job markets. Pilots, law enforcement, civil engineering, you name it. It's a good thing but you better be ready to compete if you're not willing to join the military first.

My brother has a good friend who is an MP over in Baghdad ... he has definitely earned his military service points on the civil service test ... another guy I am friends with finished up 4 years in the Marines (Recon) in 04, then went back to Basara as a private security guard for 4 months making $575 a day ... he on the other hand is going back to school, but will always have the military to help with the civil service jobs (firefighter, law enforcement) ... sometimes I have heard that it is easier to get on with different offices ... i.e. (for example purposes only) the sherriffs department may be tougher to get on than the city police, but it may be easier to get with the highway/state patro than with the sherriff's department. I don't think it is a requirement to have military experience if you want to be in LE, but it may be difficult at times to compete against people who automatically get "bonus" points on the civil service test (deservedly so!). Another friend of my bro's has no military experience and and AA degree and was able to get a job with a smaller cities police force, probably b/c the job was not as competitive, but once he has his foot in the door he will be able to use that experience to move to larger departments (at least that is his hope).

erkoehler
10-01-2005, 04:43 PM
I am looking to get into a smaller suburban department in the chicagoland area. I have no problem working in a small departmnet and then working my way up within such a department.

X2M
10-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Erk - Have you gone through an academy program anywhere?

erkoehler
10-01-2005, 05:12 PM
In this area, you apply and must pass the oral interview, background information, and then PT test prior to going to the academy. Basically, the departments are the ones that will put you through the academy after they hire you on your probationary period.

So, no I have not gone yet.

X2M
10-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I know that is the case with larger departments, but was not sure about smaller departments in other states.

From my experience you having a military background will not help you much one way or the other. Everyone still has to pass the oral, PT, background and phsych.

IMO start the process now. It can take awhile and by the time you are done you may have finished your AA.

erkoehler
10-01-2005, 05:29 PM
I know that is the case with larger departments, but was not sure about smaller departments in other states.

From my experience you having a military background will not help you much one way or the other. Everyone still has to pass the oral, PT, background and phsych.

IMO start the process now. It can take awhile and by the time you are done you may have finished your AA.

The next opening that I find in one of the departments I am interested in I will be applying for. As of this weekend, I am working on the 1.5 mile run that is mandatory. OH WHAT FUN!!! :D

Ric
10-03-2005, 12:12 AM

last I'd heard around this area was you must have associates degree OR honorably discharged military exp. in order to apply.

X2M
10-03-2005, 12:33 AM
last I'd heard around this area was you must have associates degree OR honorably discharged military exp. in order to apply.

Every state is different then. :)

erkoehler
10-03-2005, 02:17 AM

Many departments in this area, you can get into with simply a high school diploma! Either way, I will have an associates before the academy, and with continue to the full 4 years after settled in (post probation).

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Eric I am finishing my degree in Criminal Justice (2 months to go) I'm pretty familiar with the hiring process (it's pretty standardized) for most city PD's and county SD's. You'll have to go an interview, take some tests, probably a polygraph test as well. From the little I know of you I would be most concerned with your physical abilities. When you get to the State Police Academy your going to have to do a lot of physical training: running, calistenics, obstacle courses etc. Also, during the interview process being out of shape can be a discriminator. If your serious I'd start running/training right now. Good luck.

sizzler
10-03-2005, 07:42 AM
dont beat around the bush bri.......tell him straight :cool:

"shape up eric" :toast:

X-45
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Get your 4 year degree. That sheep skin will pull a lot of weight.

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 08:50 AM
dont beat around the bush bri.......tell him straight :cool:

"shape up eric" :toast:

OK, Eric you have to lose some weight.

ski_king
10-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Good luck Eric......
Go for the 4 year degree

tex
10-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Erk-As you may know, I used to work in the CJ field for 11 years. All of the departments around the D/FW metroplex have different hiring policies. The trend is moving towards requireing 4 year degrees. Of course the small ones can't, but the midsize ones are. Look close at each department. Some of our small ones pay as good as or better than the larger ones. Good luck!

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I agree w/Denny. Get the Bachelors degree. You'll be able to advance further and quicker. But, I meant what I said about physcial fitness, all kidding aside.

jj209
10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Former military LE, no longer in the field. 2 friends just got hired at a local dept, one w/ an associates degree (male), one a 4 yr (female). Dept hired 30, but had 80 apply. The male friend told me half the applicants were dropping like flies during the fitness tests. Can't agree w/ Bri more, physical fitness will take you along ways in this field, large or small dept. Extend that 1.5 mile run to a consistent 3-5 miler and you should be set. Good luck!!

LakePirate
10-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Something you might want to look at as well are univesity police dept. I know a guy who joined the campus police at Ga Southern over the Statesboro Police Dept because of the benefits being better, i.e. school for employee tuition.

Of course then you become "da man" bustin up keggers and wild frat parties.

Ric
10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Eric I am finishing my degree in Criminal Justice (2 months to go) I'm pretty familiar with the hiring process (it's pretty standardized) for most city PD's and county SD's. You'll have to go an interview, take some tests, probably a polygraph test as well. From the little I know of you I would be most concerned with your physical abilities. When you get to the State Police Academy your going to have to do a lot of physical training: running, calistenics, obstacle courses etc. Also, during the interview process being out of shape can be a discriminator. If your serious I'd start running/training right now. Good luck.
Congrats on the degree, will you be in law enforcement or is this pre law or career military?

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Still be AF Blue, but I will be in LE. I'll be a Federal Law Enforcement Officer in the AF Office of Special Investigations.

Ric
10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
cool .

bcampbe7
10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Still be AF Blue, but I will be in LE. I'll be a Federal Law Enforcement Officer in the AF Office of Special Investigations.

cool .

Very cool! :cool: :toast:

Ric
10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Very cool! :cool: :toast:
Colonel BriLE

erkoehler
10-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I have already looked into the PT and it is going to change my lifestyle. I can currently meet all requirements (minimums) other than the 98% body weight bench press.

However, I am running everyday now, and working on sit-ups, push-ups, stretching, and free weights every other day.

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
That's great Eric. You're right it is a lifestyle change and takes some self control. I'm sure if you focus and set some goals you can do it.

BriEOD
10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Colonel BriLE
To funny...That would be fine with me, especially the pay check!!

PendO
10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I have already looked into the PT and it is going to change my lifestyle. I can currently meet all requirements (minimums) other than the 98% body weight bench press.

However, I am running everyday now, and working on sit-ups, push-ups, stretching, and free weights every other day.

I've heard that the "cream" and the "clear" can really help!

milkmania
10-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Scorpio here:cool:

erkoehler
10-04-2005, 01:08 AM
I've heard that the "cream" and the "clear" can really help!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ric
10-04-2005, 01:09 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
me too

is he talkin bout the palmero b12 regimen?

milkmania
10-04-2005, 01:14 AM
either that or that zit stuff:confused:

erkoehler
10-04-2005, 01:27 AM
I have no clue, you guys lost me after the first page...... :confused:

PendO
10-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I have no clue, you guys lost me after the first page...... :confused:

No man, that's what Barry Bonds used, the cream, the clear, and flacksed oil. ... hey, OT, anyone watch the show on MTV called Laguna Beach, funny S*!

erkoehler
10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
thanks for the thread jack......ended!

Double Overhead
10-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Ive been a LEO for 8 years now. My advice is to start testing asap. I got hired at the age of 21 with about two years of college. In Arizona they are having a very hard time filling the positions. You get a lot of college credit for the academy. Most departments will pay for you to go to school. Advancement in my department really isnt degree limited until you reach captain/commander postion. I love it as I am assigned to our full time SWAT team. The great thing about LEO work is that you can do so many things. If you get bored with something you can transfer to a different postion - Motorcycle, undercover, detective, bike patrol, SWAT, LAKE PATROL. I get paid to shoot fully automatic weapons on a daily basis. :D

I also work 4 -10's so I always have at least one weekday for lake trips. When I first was hired, I had Tuesday Wednesdays and Thursdays off. You might think that stinks but I had more great glassy lake water in that year than I will the rest of my life.

You get good benefits and the pay is decent depending on your lifestyle. I can retire at the age of 41 if I want. Dont be discouraged by the long testing process. This is normal with most departments because of the background checks etc. It may take 6 months to a year before the process is complete. If I can help out at all, let me know. Good Luck

erkoehler
10-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Double Overhead,

Thanks for the info! It seems like all the areas that are hiring like crazy are nowhere near me :mad: I could move to TN and work there, and probably have a job in less than 6 months. Now you say that AZ is hiring like crazy. What about IL, come on people we need more cops here too ;)

BriEOD
10-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Eric what are you pursuing a degree in?

shepherd
10-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I also work 4 -10's so I always have at least one weekday for lake trips. When I first was hired, I had Tuesday Wednesdays and Thursdays off. You might think that stinks but I had more great glassy lake water in that year than I will the rest of my life.

DO, that is great, I'm envious! :worthy:
A guy I used to ski with was a D.C. cop and had a similar schedule. Problem was, his ski buddys had "normal" schedules so he usually didn't have anyone to ski with on his days off -- and worse, he sometimes had to work on weekends or holidays. But I assume you don't have that problem...

Erk. Sounds like you are doing the right thing! Once you get into the PT for a while, you'll get addicted so stick with it. If you stick with the weights, have a good spotter, and steadily increase the weights you lift (even if just for one rep on your last set), you'll be lifting your own weight and more soon. The initial gains are the easiest and quickest to come.

I have NO experience in this area but if it was me, I'd go ahead and start applying for jobs now and just continue in school until I get hired... :twocents:

Ric
10-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Double Overhead,

Thanks for the info! It seems like all the areas that are hiring like crazy are nowhere near me :mad: I could move to TN and work there, and probably have a job in less than 6 months. Now you say that AZ is hiring like crazy. What about IL, come on people we need more cops here too ;)
how bout chicago pd SWAT?

"hup! hup! hup! hup! hup! hup! hup! hup! hup! hup!"

Rockman
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
What about IL, come on people we need more cops here too ;)

Not on I355 or I55 :D

bcampbe7
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Not on I355 or I55 :D

... I-64 or I-57 :)

erkoehler
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Eric what are you pursuing a degree in?

currently criminal justice, just switched this year though from business management.