PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring buoys

CruisinGA
05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Due to the shape of the lake and prevailing traffic pattern, folks like to get a little too close to our dock.

We have a couple 24" buoys to put out to create some space for swimming. I also use the buoys to set up a race course for my stand up jetskis :D

What is the best way to anchor them? We have a couple cinder blocks for each, 75' of nylon line (deep lake) and chain.
I was thinking chain around the cinder blocks and maybe 5 feet of chain hanging from the buoy to keep the rope from floating around the buoy as the lake level goes up and down.

Anyone got any tips or tricks here?

ricford
05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Due to the shape of the lake and prevailing traffic pattern, folks like to get a little too close to our dock.

We have a couple 24" buoys to put out to create some space for swimming. I also use the buoys to set up a race course for my stand up jetskis :D

What is the best way to anchor them? We have a couple cinder blocks for each, 75' of nylon line (deep lake) and chain.
I was thinking chain around the cinder blocks and maybe 5 feet of chain hanging from the buoy to keep the rope from floating around the buoy as the lake level goes up and down.

Anyone got any tips or tricks here?

We have a much shallower lake, but we use chain around the block, a short piece of rope and then a bungie cord to the buoy. Adjust the length of the rope so that the bungie is tight. This allows the lake to rise and fall quite a bit without having to adjust.

CruisinGA
05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
The bungie sounds like a pretty good trick. It ought to at least get us through the <5' flucuations of the summer months and then we can just pull the buoys out for the fall/winter/spring when there is less boat traffic and the water is too cold to swim.

russlars
05-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Remember that those blocks have a lot of air space in them and you lose a lot of weight when in water. I had problems with blocks shifting and moving especially with a good size buoy. I have some old solid concrete septic tank lids with rebar handles on them that I now have anchoring my buoys and now they never move.

stuartmcnair
05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
we fill a home depot bucket with concrete and set a large eye bolt in it. doesn't move

TeamAllen
05-26-2013, 11:12 AM
They don't need to hold anything heavy right? Just the buoy itself.
I would use some diving weights like these.
http://www.divecatalog.com/proline-w02-environment-safe-2kg-4-4lbs-plastic-coating-weight.html
Should be easy to find at any local diving shop.

CantRepeat
05-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I think lead is a good idea but It would take just the same about of weight as it would concert to keep from being pulled around by wind/waves.

Some people have mention old engine blocks and I would add old heavy big block V8 cylinder heads. You can remove the valves and run a good sized chain through them. The good part is you can probably pick up dozens of them from a junkyard or machine shop for very little cash.

Snipe
05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Remember that those blocks have a lot of air space in them and you lose a lot of weight when in water. I had problems with blocks shifting and moving especially with a good size buoy. I have some old solid concrete septic tank lids with rebar handles on them that I now have anchoring my buoys and now they never move.
What do you do for the winter? I have a 75LB stainless piece of tube at the end of a chain to hold our swim raft in place. I pull the thing out every season end. What a job. I was thinking of leaving it in and floating a buoy, but think the ice would destroy everything and there goes the anchor.

mikeg205
05-26-2013, 02:31 PM
1000lbs for a proper mooring buoy concrete anchor. A 2500-3000lb boat can move a bucket full of concrete... pretty easily with the right weather...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=Mooring-Systems#.UaJU6EDCaSo

CantRepeat
05-26-2013, 04:15 PM
He's talking about some swim bouys not anchoring a 3000lb boat!!

pap
05-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Well you have to admit, a 1000lb mooring would definitely hold the swim bouy in place....

CruisinGA
05-26-2013, 11:02 PM
This is just holding a buoy to keep boats a safe distance from our dock. You would not believe how close some a-holes will get.

I put the buoys in yesterday, used the bungee trick and a couple of cinder blocks. We'll see how they hold. If not well enough then ill probably go to a cylinder head or bucket full of crete.

liledgy
05-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Take an old in inner tube and cut it into 5' strips about an inch wide. Tie one end to the rope from the anchor. On the bouy side. Pull it thru the eye and put a knot in it. It works very well on slalom courses. If the bouy comes off you can just pull the knot back thru the eye on the bouy.

j2nh
05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
What do you do for the winter?

Leave the anchor in the water, run a length of wire from the anchor line to shore. When it comes time in the spring to anchor the raft, buoys etc. you follow the wire from shore to your anchor line. We do this with our water ski jump, and numerous rafts our ski club instals for donations. This is by far the easiest way to deal with anchors.