PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle getting a new heart

prostar205
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I decided to bight the bullet and give my beloved 1999 Expedition a heart transplant. I located a brand new, never installed or fired 2001 Ford 5.4L Supercharged Lightning crate engine to replace my standand 5.4L powerplant. The old engine was leaking at the head gaskets into the valley and on to the exhaust manifolds making a pleasant smell inside the cabin.

The new engine comes standard with 380hp, 430 ft-lb torque. The stock blower has already been sent off for porting and polishing and will also be underdriven to create 15 lbs of boost (stock is 8 lbs.). We are also puttinig a cold air intake, a special tune and equal-length headers, high flow cats and a new stainless performance exhaust. Lastly, the transmission and transfer case are getting beef up to take the added horsehpower and torque.

I should be done in a month and has already been in the shop from a month. Can't wait to get it back. I'll post pictures as the work progresses.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I decided to bight the bullet and give my beloved 1999 Expedition a heart transplant. I located a brand new, never installed or fired 2001 Ford 5.4L Supercharged crate engine to replace my standand 5.4L powerplant. The old engine was leaked at the head gaskets into the valley and on to the exhaust manifolds making a pleasure smell inside the cabin.

The new engine comes standard with 380hp, 430 ft-lb torque. The stock blower has already been sent off for porting and polishing and will also be underdriven to create 15 lbs of boost (stock is 8 lbs.). We are also puttinig a cold air intake, a special tune and equal-length headers, high flow cats and a new stainless performance exhaust. Lastly, the transmission and transfer case are getting beef up to take the added horsehpower and torque.

I should be done in a month and has already been in the shop from a month. Can't wait to get it back. I'll post pictures as the work progresses.

I really like the sound of this.

mplv
05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Put in a larger fuel tank, that's a 6mpg proposition

willyt
05-24-2013, 10:08 AM
curious as to why you went the engine replacement route instead of buying a new truck... ecoboosts almost match those specs and will have to provide alot better gas mileage.

CantRepeat
05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Who's doing the ECM work for you?

TayMC197
05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
The mpgs will improve from the horse power alone. That's as long as you baby it. If you floor it everywhere then it won't be as good.

Sounds like you're making the right mods, good luck and hope to see pics and sound clips.

mzimme
05-24-2013, 10:49 AM
You will have all your torque immediately with that roots blower. That's going to be fun! You should have ditched the stock eaton blower and gone with something along the lines of whipple or Kenne Bell with even more displacement. :D

JLowder
05-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Am I the only person here that thinks this is a complete waste of money? Unless you got the engine for free and are a mechanic, why would you spend that kind of money on a 14 year old vehicle? Maybe I am missing something here. Don't get me wrong, I love horsepower and have a classic car, but just can't understand the justification. Please fill me in.

prostar205
05-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Who's doing the ECM work for you?

Brad's Custom Auto in North Seattle. They do great work.

prostar205
05-25-2013, 12:05 AM
You will have all your torque immediately with that roots blower. That's going to be fun! You should have ditched the stock eaton blower and gone with something along the lines of whipple or Kenne Bell with even more displacement. :D

Thought about the Whipple or Kenne Bell but would have had to build the bottom end as the rods are still the weak link - even in the SVT Lightning engines. Tha will be round 2.

prostar205
05-25-2013, 12:18 AM
For those that are asking and thinking why poor this amount of money into a 14 year old truck, here are reasons:

1) I'm the original owner of the truck, it's paid off and has been for 11 years, NO PAYMENTS.
2) I love the styling of my Expedition and I've already done a lot of things to it that my wife would never let me do to a new truck.
3) It's not my primary vehicle. I only put 2,000 miles on it a year. I'll be driving this one more after the upgrade.
4) After I'm done, I'll have a vehicle that no one else has.
5) What makes more sense: buying a new one for $50 - $60K less my trade of $5K and having payments or keeping my perfectly good truck and spending $12K on upgrades and have a 450hp, 5,500 lb Go Kart? That's a pretty easy choice for me.

I figured some people would disagree with my choice but the nice thing is It's My Choice and I can't wait to get it back.

I'll posting pics for those that are interested.

jafo9
05-25-2013, 09:32 AM
did you mention your rear end? are you going to have to make any changes there for the extra HP? sounds like a great project.

cwarndahl
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Im with you on the no payments, way easier to spend money on new engine then a new truck, bought a new truck last year and hate the payment. And oh only 4 years to go on it. Plus if you do it right it's as reliable then a new truck IMHO. Also done right your spending money you have at your pace then on a banks schedule.

prostar205
05-25-2013, 11:20 AM
did you mention your rear end? are you going to have to make any changes there for the extra HP? sounds like a great project.

Right now the front and rear differentials are staying stock. That will be round 2 with a bigger blower and built bottom end.

jafo9
05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
So I guess that means you'll have to take it easy on the burn outs. Well, maybe just a few.

prostar205
05-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Yes, just a few. I'm sure I won't be able to help myself.

Here are few pictures of the de-construction.

cwarndahl
05-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm s
A sucker for project photos keep them coming!

prostar205
05-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Ok, more pictures.

prostar205
05-26-2013, 03:43 PM
One last picture for now.

Voodoo
05-26-2013, 04:34 PM
"Styling" and Expedition in the same sentence...too funny.

prostar205
05-26-2013, 04:56 PM
"Styling" and Expedition in the same sentence...too funny.

You know what they say - "Beauty's in the eye of the beholder". Not nice to throw stones - never know when they'll be thrown back.

Yes, I do think my Expedition has great lines.

Voodoo
05-27-2013, 08:47 AM
OK then, Mr. Sensitive

gotjag941
05-27-2013, 09:53 AM
OK then, Mr. Sensitive

I mean seriously what kind of response did you expect from a guy who is rationalizing a pointless project IMO join the svt forum and show them your excitement just my .2 cents

SJ.
06-25-2013, 07:16 PM
How's it coming along, TH? Has the weaker half asked why it sounds so whiney yet when it runs? You should send her the link to this thread, lol.

prostar205
06-25-2013, 07:21 PM
How's it coming along, TH? Has the weaker half asked why it sounds so whiney yet when it runs? You should send her the link to this thread, lol.

Action - The damn thing is still in the shop. Probably another 2 weeks. Just got the new SS headers and SS Y-pipe and exhaust ordered. Can't wait to get her back.

I got your check for the ASU game - thanks my friend. It won't be the same without Willie but we'll have to tip several back in his memory. Hope all is well and you're getting the X-2 out. I had the X-30 out last Saturday with 6 kids and myself only. We all had a great time.

SJ.
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Agreeed re Willie. We need to keep his seat for the game and leave it open for him.

I traded out the Rubicon for a F150 4x4 Supercrew Ecoboost Platinum last week. That things has some nuts when you step down on it.

Found out my trailer brakes are toast. Need to cut out the Reliable stuff and have all new put in up front. Probably will do the calipers right away as well. It's at the shop now, might have to run without the brakes over the 4th but the 150 should handle it fine.

Took the kids out surfing this morning, perfect glass. Ry is now trying to get kickbacks off the top of the wave. Pretty fun to watch, although he eats it still when he really goes for it. I need to teach him how to drive!!!

prostar205
06-25-2013, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=SJ.;950970]Agreeed re Willie. We need to keep his seat for the game and leave it open for him.

Trav's taking Willie's ticket to ASU.

Found out my trailer brakes are toast. Need to cut out the Reliable stuff and have all new put in up front. Probably will do the calipers right away as well. It's at the shop now, might have to run without the brakes over the 4th but the 150 should handle it fine.

Have your dealer check with Reliable on a factory exchange program. I got 4 new calipers from them for FREE because of a manufacturing defect in my brakes. It's worth a try.

SJ.
06-25-2013, 08:57 PM
They are out of business now it appears.

BudmanV24
08-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Any pics or news of the completed project?

prostar205
08-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Project has been dragging it's feet. The engine, transmission, headers, Y-pipe, exhaust are all in. Now, the shop is finishing the details of the wiring, throttle linkage, bolting the accessories (alt, PS, A/C, etc...) to the new Lightning engine. I will have pictures up soon. I just saw it at the shop and it looks incredible. The guys doing it think we'll hit just over 400hp at the rear wheels.

prostar205
08-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Here are some pics of the progress:

prostar205
08-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Here's the Superchargers Intercooler and Intercooler pump and the dual 255 fuel pumps needed for the Lightning conversion.

scott023
08-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Dang, that's a tight fit. Looks good.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2013, 05:55 PM
This is a really cool project.

JDC
08-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks awesome! Did they wiggle that down in there with the headers attached, or was that photo for show?

Is there going to be any problem with heat from those headers since they stick out there quite a bit more than the stock manifolds?

Sorry to hear it's taking so long. Expecting it up and running by July and it's now almost September, kinda sucks.

Wish I could be there the first time it's fired up! :headbang:

prostar205
08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
They originally tried installing the engine with the headers but it just wouldn't go in so they took them off an installed them after putting the engine in. There are no fit issues - they fit up in the engine compartment perfectly. Prior to buying the engine it sat in a a shop since 2001 and had never been fired. My shop got it fired up on the first try. They said it runs great. There are still a few loose ends with brackets and the underdrive pulley to get for the supercharger but those items should be here this weekend. I think I'll get it back in a week after it's dyno'd - just ave to find some time on their all wheel drive dyno.

prostar205
09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
She's finally done and ready for delivery.

5 months in the making - this thing is a monster.

Here's a picture of the completed engine compartment. However, almost every part of the truck was touched, even the interior.

scott023
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
That sucker is packed in there. You're going to have to let us know how it performs. Hope it was will worth the wait.

prostar205
09-30-2013, 04:08 PM
That sucker is packed in there. You're going to have to let us know how it performs. Hope it was will worth the wait.

To all that are interested (I know some think I am nuts) - I've had the truck back for ~10 days and I couldn't be happier. The shop that did the work was unbelieveably detailed. This thing runs better than it ever did when it was new - 14 years ago. I can't explain how satisfied I am and it's just FAST. It has pick up like by buddies 300 SRT8 that has had work done to it.

For 5,500 lbs., it really moves and the gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm getting 11.4 mpg and that's while being heavy with my right foot.

All in all, definately worth the wait and $$$$.

Aric'sX15
09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
need some vids!

prostar205
09-30-2013, 04:29 PM
need some vids!

Dyno video coming soon. We're thinking it should pull 375rwhp, 400rwtq.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Dyno video coming soon. We're thinking it should pull 375rwhp, 400rwtq.

Yeah................that would work.

BrianM
10-01-2013, 07:46 AM
How about a video of the dyno pulls?

rjracin240
10-01-2013, 11:54 AM
To all that are interested (I know some think I am nuts) - I've had the truck back for ~10 days and I couldn't be happier. The shop that did the work was unbelieveably detailed. This thing runs better than it ever did when it was new - 14 years ago. I can't explain how satisfied I am and it's just FAST. It has pick up like by buddies 300 SRT8 that has had work done to it.

For 5,500 lbs., it really moves and the gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm getting 11.4 mpg and that's while being heavy with my right foot.

All in all, definately worth the wait and $$$$.

Cool build, sorry for some of that bashing you got earlier!

Saw the bigger fuel pump, but did not see any injector upgrades to help with the additional boost?

Just curious

prostar205
10-01-2013, 12:00 PM
The stock Lightning truck requires dual 255 fuel pumps. The crate Lightning motor I bought has the larger Lightning injectors to go with the dual fuel pumps.

I know some people don't get why I did it and I really don't care. I've had this truck since it was brand new in 1999 and I would venture to guess that there are only a handfull of these trucks out there like this. It is my baby and I'll never buy another new car. My next project is a 1969 RS/SS Camaro convertible, 396 ci, 6-speed - that's a few years away.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

rkhodges21
10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
The stock Lightning truck requires dual 255 fuel pumps. The crate Lightning motor I bought has the larger Lightning injectors to go with the dual fuel pumps.

I know some people don't get why I did it and I really don't care. I've had this truck since it was brand new in 1999 and I would venture to guess that there are only a handfull of these trucks out there like this. It is my baby and I'll never buy another new car. My next project is a 1969 RS/SS Camaro convertible, 396 ci, 6-speed - that's a few years away.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I completely get why you did this. It's your money to spend or save, and in spending some on this truck you are saving yourself the waste of payments (and depreciation) on a new one. I drive an 03 Bonneville that has 252,xxx miles on it, and I lucked up and found a parts car that was wrecked in the back end but still has a good engine and transmission, so when one of the two bite the dust, I can throw in the replacement and keep going. I take care of the car as best I can, but I don't have to freak out if a shopping cart or another car door puts a ding in it. It's a car. It gets me from point A to point B, and I don't have to stress about how I am going to make a $500/month payment. Instead, I can put some back for when I finally do have to replace it.

I am glad you got your ride going and are enjoying that your old dog has some new tricks.

gweaver
10-01-2013, 05:52 PM
FWIW, I think what you did is awesome!! I'm all for making your vehicle unique to whatever extent you want. I'm planning to do something similar to my Silverado- it's got decent power, but I want more. Funds permitting, I'm going to add a supercharger in the not-to-distant future. Sure, it's a chunk of change, but it beats payments on a new vehicle. Mine's paid off and has 16K miles on a new engine. Why buy new when I can wake it up in a big way for a fraction of the cost?
G

johnlanguab
10-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Very cool project.

+1 for no payment, among a forum with $100k+ boats, there aren't too many of us who disfavor payments :)

prostar205
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Very cool project.

+1 for no payment, among a forum with $100k+ boats, there aren't too many of us who disfavor payments :)

Agree on the payment comments - Paid cash for the Expedition in 1999 and cash for the X-30 in 2004. I am not a fan of payment. Would rather pay for gas.

BudmanV24
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Looks great. Those long tube headers are sick. I might of missed it, but what did you do for the rest of the exhaust?

prostar205
10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Looks great. Those long tube headers are sick. I might of missed it, but what did you do for the rest of the exhaust?

The rest of the exhaust consists of Dynatech SS 3" Y-pipe with SS High Flow cats and a Gibson Swept Side SS 3" Cat-Back exhaust.

It sounds great - not to aggressive but people know there's something under the hood.

SJ.
11-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Sweet, now you can run from the old lady easier when she finds out about all the things you've bought for the X30!!

scott023
11-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Sweet, now you can run from the old lady easier when she finds out about all the things you've bought for the X30!!

Whoa. That came outta left field.

prostar205
11-05-2013, 07:02 PM

You know me so well - it's like we went to college together.

I've already got plans to make it even faster.

prostar205
11-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Whoa. That came outta left field.

Not really since SJ and I have know each other for ~25 years.

BrianM
11-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Where is the video?

prostar205
11-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Where is the video?

Found an all wheel drive dyno. The shop wants to get a few more miles on the engine. Right now I'm just over 1,000 mikes. I'll post when it's done.

scott023
11-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Not really since SJ and I have know each other for ~25 years.

Well, this makes sense now. :D

prostar205
11-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Over Christmas Bbreak. I have 17 days off.

We're going to dyno between Christmas and New Years.

prostar205
12-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Scheduled for my dyno session at 10am on Monday, Dec. 23rd. Wish me luck that I don't blow this thing up. Just kidding - I've put around 1,500 miles on it since I got it back in middle of Sept. '13. The truck hasn't missed a beat and has run flawlessly.

prostar205
12-20-2013, 06:48 PM
I'll post a video and my best HP/TQ numbers.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Scheduled for my dyno session at 10am on Monday, Dec. 23rd. Wish me luck that I don't blow this thing up. Just kidding - I've put around 1,500 miles on it since I got it back in middle of Sept. '13. The truck hasn't missed a beat and has run flawlessly.

Running on the dyno is just plain fun!:steering:

prostar205
12-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Dyno run complete. My son and I had a great time.

Best Run: 278 RWHP, 339 RWTQ. I was expecting more but I'll take this for now. The data log has already been sent to the shop that did the work and they will review it and optimize where we see an opportunity to.

I took video (specifically for BrianM but the file is too large to post). Can someone tell me how to shrink the video file and I'll post it.

Enjoy... love the whine of the supercharger.

1redTA
12-23-2013, 05:19 PM
was that thru the AWD? If so the drivetrain losses are huge between an automatic and transfer case 19-27% it would be interesting to see the dyno graph, did you get a wideband on the run.

prostar205
12-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes, my Expedition is AWD but it's not full time AWD. The front wheels only engage when the rear wheels split.

The Dyno was in "linked" mode meaning the rear rollers drove the front rollers.

I have the dyno graph - see attachment.

What do you mean by wideband on the run?

1redTA
12-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Wideband as in wideband 02 measures the amount of oxygen out of the tailpipe in regards to stochiometric air fuel ratio, for example you can see at the bottom my car was ridiculously rich. This causes power loss and can wash down cylinder walls if not fixed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/9esypyju.jpg

Also most mustang dynos are stingy on the horsepower resulting in lower than expected numbers. The operator can usually tell you how much different his may be than another.

prostar205
12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
No O2 sensor monitoring.

The shop that did the work things these number are a little soft in their opinion. They think it should do more like 330 RWHP. They'll mess around with the tune and see if they can get it there keeping in mind this is driver and it's main use is towing the X-30 over the mountains.

1redTA
12-23-2013, 07:35 PM
The wideband will let them know what is safe as far as timing , fuel delivery make sure the power enrichment is correct, the engine is actually going into power enrichment ie full throttle

ncsucarjock88
02-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Hey, I get why you did this... sweet man!!

Same reason I drive an old Dodge Ram Diesel... it's paid for... in great shape mechanically (just rebuilt a lot of stuff last year at the 290k mark) and I love it.

Nice job on the Expedition. Almost wild to see one that isn't beat up and run to death... they're still around here, but nowhere near as nice as yours. Glad you're happy with the mods. I'm sure you'll surprise some folks.... :-)