PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Noise during hole shot

sr20doc
05-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum and have tried searching for this issue but unable to find anything similar. I have a new to me 90 Maristar 210 with a 351w and a 10-17-004 v-drive. I had my first outing this weekend to test the boat out before the up coming holiday weekend. The boat ran great. I stopped to try a hole shot like I would when pulling a skier and when I throttled it up the boat started to take off then I heard this horrible grinding like I was stripping gears so I got out of the throttle and tried again and it did the same thing :(
Then I decided to throttle it slowly and all was fine even at wot no other noises. After that happened I headed back and loaded up the boat. Has anyone had this issue or know a route I should take? Thanks in advance for any help!
George

mikeg205
05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
most likely damper plate in trans.. not sure if this is the correct one but this is what it looks like..
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140001

sr20doc
05-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking that could possibly be it, but the symptoms everyone else describes doesn't really fit my problem. Unless the splines are stripped but I would think it would happen anytime there is a load on it.

mikeg205
05-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Is it slipping when it grinds? Have you changed the fluid? Did it sound like rocks bouncing around? A noisy damper would do that.... When you did your hole shot was it from neutral to WOT or did you pop it in gear then WOT?

sr20doc
05-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Is it slipping when it grinds? Have you changed the fluid? Did it sound like rocks bouncing around? A noisy damper would do that.... When you did your hole shot was it from neutral to WOT or did you pop it in gear then WOT?

Yes it acts if it is slipping when it grinds, I planned on changing the fluid this week just as a general precaution, fluid is clean and just below the full mark when at operating temp. Does not sound like rocks, everything is quiet except for when this happened. The noise more sounds like a manual transmission in a car grinding into gear or falling out of gear. The hole shot was in gear then wot, the boat starts to accelerate then stops. This only happened under heavy load out of the hole.

I plan on checking the linkage and making sure it is adjusted/moving properly, and changing the fluid this week, I am just wondering if there is something else I should be looking at as well. I really do not want to be stranded on a lake somewhere this weekend during the holiday ;)