PDA

View Full Version : KGB Ballast ???

Stokey
05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
KGB ballast has sound that the pump is working, but it doesn't seem to be emptying or filling. Gauge doesn't work well, so I cant use that to tell. Any suggestions?

CantRepeat
05-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Change the impeller.

snork
05-21-2013, 09:07 PM
fill the tank till water flows from the overflow vent starboard side in front of helm

Stokey
05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I have left the pump run for about 10 mins. No overflow and no water empties when I flip the switch. If it is the impeller, where is this located for the KGB? Is this something I can do? Any help or pics would be grateful. The dealership is about two hours away.

Thanks in advance.

Skyskiguy
05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Check impellers first, then check the check valves.

snork
05-21-2013, 09:39 PM
what year XStar?

Stokey
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
2005 xstar

snork
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
engine compartment behind carpeted panel you'll find three pumps center should be KGB
make sure the ball valve is open, its near water pickup, port side between engine and stringer

GoneBoatN
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
I have left the pump run for about 10 mins. No overflow and no water empties when I flip the switch. If it is the impeller, where is this located for the KGB? Is this something I can do? Any help or pics would be grateful. The dealership is about two hours away.

Thanks in advance.

Trace the lines from the input(s) on the bottom of the hull to the ballast pumps. Then trace the lines from the pumps to the ballast tanks. Should be easy enough to find and determine which is the KGB tank pump. It's a good idea to become familiar with one's own boat.

Another way is to turn on the pump and then find which one is making the noise. You should find a housing that is covered by three screws (assuming it is a Jabsco ballast puppy pump). Plenty of pictures of the ballast pumps online including this forum if you search a little.

Some have noted that they have spun the hub on the impeller. Either that or your impeller has become extremely inefficient from wear. In either case it is time to change the impeller.

Stokey
05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok. I will check it out tmaro afterwork. Thank you

Stokey
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Is it possible to have a debris clogging the intake? There has been a lot of twigs/leafs/branches in the lake lately from recent storms.

Stokey
05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Is it possible to have debris blocking the intake? We have had a lot of debris in the the lake from recent storms .

gotjag941
05-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Impeller common issue on takes a few screws and an easy fix

KahunaCraft
05-21-2013, 11:15 PM
I doubt the sticks are the problem...there is usually a screen to prevent that.

1. Locate the pump, as stated in above post.

2. Follow the instructions in this video to replace the impeller, my advice, buy three new impellers so you can replace the others as they fail.

http://youtu.be/im4Xz7yvzd0

3. Double check the pump with a fake-a-lake.

The video is just a few minutes...

WC205
05-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Did 05 still have the black impeller? If so and you have never replaced them...........it's definitely the impeller. I switched to the yellow ones right when they came out and haven't had any issues since.

ttu
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
^^^now you are suppose to use the green ones.

WC205
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I've heard that but like I said, no issues. Plus I still have a lot of yellow spares to use up first!

JRW160
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
I think yellow flows water just as well, but they don't prevent water from siphoning back out the intake while underway. Depending on how your inlets are setup it may or may not make a difference.

Stokey
05-23-2013, 07:33 AM
I located the pumps and called Wakemakers. They recommended the green ones. I picked up three and am waiting for them to come in. All the info was great. For the weekend I will be running KGB less, but better then nothing. Thanks everyone have a great weekend!

Jerseydave
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I've tried both yellow and green, the green ones work the best.
You can remove the impeller cover and have someone hit the switch just to make sure the pump is spinning. If your black impeller is spinning, soak it with binding lube or dish soap and let is soak overnight (without turning the switch on)
When you have the boat in the water, slow idle forward and turn switch on to fill your KGB. The forward motion of the boat will help prime the system.....you might be able to use your KGB tank just this one time until your new impellers come in.

Where are you in the northeast?