PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using re-claimed asphalt for their driveway?

jkski
05-21-2013, 11:13 AM
It is getting closer to the time when I will need to top dress my new construction drive and one of the options suggested to me was to go with re-claimed asphalt as opposed to the more expensive option of 57 limestone. Just wanted to see if any of you had used this for your drive and how it is holding up?

From what I have been told, if you put it down while everything is nice and dry and do a good job of rolling it in, you will end up with a poor man's asphalt drive and the material will re-adhere to itself.....and I am currently the definition of a poor man!
Down the road I may look to chip and seal the drive but for now a good cost effective top coat is what is needed to smooth things out.

DemolitionMan
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
We use to do that at our recycling facility, but we had an 80k excavator to flatten it out.

Thrall
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes it works very well.
Have built miles of road grade out of rap.
Recycled concrete works well also if you can get it cheaper. The thing I don't like about rcp for residential use is its dirty. You get the concrete dust tracked into the garage.
Use rap if its available. Better than crushed base course for a driveway.

With a long drive you could use rcp if it was cheaper for most of it and then put rap near the garage parking areas.

Thrall
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
It does bind back together quite well once it gets baked good in the sun. I used it on a very steep driveway once and once it set up I had little to no raveling.

zsqure
05-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Re-claimed works fine, either milled road surface or, the crushed can be a little lumpy with the chunks that remain. It will get hard as long as there is a good base to support the traffic. Limestone can be pretty spendy once the trucking is figured in. Recycled concrete is fine as well, but contains lots of dirt and things that may go "poke" when you least expect it. Recycle was initially used as "base for parking lots" but an ODOT study showed it was not consistent in its granular properties because there is no spec for it and would turn to "mush" when used in wet areas requiring drainage.

JohnnyB
05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Any experience with rcp over an existing crushed limestone base? My driveway needs a regrade and this seems like it would work better

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

jkski
05-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks guys, I can always count on you.
My base is a very solid limestone #1 & #2 that has withstood the test of all the heavy traffic, so at this point I feel confident in saying that it is fully compacted. I won't use recycled concrete as I tried a couple of loads of that during the construction period to extend my drive and it had so much crap in it, I think I will be picking it out for years to come, so recycled asphalt is looking like an attractive option and I will just rent a roller to compact it down once it is spread.