PDA

View Full Version : Not Starting - Not Idling.

stuartmcnair
05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
89 190 with the 351. First time I started it this year and it is just not right. I hate using starting fluid but I had no choice. It will turn over but not fire unless I use starting fluid then it fires right up. Idles rough but runs great with a little throttle. As soon as I put it in neutral it wants to die.

New carb 2 years ago. I have ordered new plugs and fuel filter but I think the carb needs adjustment. Any ideas?

Kimper
05-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Was your fuel stabilized?

88 PS190
05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't feel as if carbs should suddenly "need" adjustment, atleast not Holley 4 barrels - if you were talking some sort of Weber on an old Porsche, or those hellish Bing's equipped to BMW motorcycles we'd talk.

You seem fuel seems to be a good place to start, from the tank pick up through to the main fuel filter, then up the side by the fuel pump there is another filter, then on the Carb there is a screen. Each of these places atleast dump and rinse in fresh fuel, which will give you a better ideal if it is a cause or just ancillary to the situation.

This should really be done yearly on the fuel end.

Then on the ignition, if 89 has points inspect them, adjust them, you probably do not need to replace them, for giggles take a spare plug, pull a plug wire, put the plug in the socket, ground it on a convenient bolt on the manifold and crank over - you should see a healthy spark.

Most folks don't have a good meter that has dwell and such anymore. If you do, doesn't hurt to give it a looksee.

onejdgreen
05-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue to me... I would dump in a can of SeaFoam and top of your tank with fresh fuel. Just my 2 cents...

JimN
05-20-2013, 04:12 PM
89 190 with the 351. First time I started it this year and it is just not right. I hate using starting fluid but I had no choice. It will turn over but not fire unless I use starting fluid then it fires right up. Idles rough but runs great with a little throttle. As soon as I put it in neutral it wants to die.

New carb 2 years ago. I have ordered new plugs and fuel filter but I think the carb needs adjustment. Any ideas?

If you have an old mustard bottle, put some gas in it and drizzle some into the carb- better than starting fluid and it gives a better idea of what's going on. Check your timing, too. If you see weak or erratic spark, you may have a points/ignition problem, rather than a carb/fuel problem. However, since the only thing that changed is the age of the fuel, I suspect that as #1.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-20-2013, 05:02 PM
If you have an old mustard bottle, put some gas in it and drizzle some into the carb- better than starting fluid and it gives a better idea of what's going on. Check your timing, too. If you see weak or erratic spark, you may have a points/ignition problem, rather than a carb/fuel problem. However, since the only thing that changed is the age of the fuel, I suspect that as #1.

Shouldn't gas go in a ketchup bottle what with it being a red container and allhttp://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiwRQNFgnB6q4oXRh4uKu4PQ7p49Ajw MUg1yYYzv_XvsrbfONh

Fuel does sound like the logical place to start.

JimN
05-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Shouldn't gas go in a ketchup bottle what with it being a red container and allhttp://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiwRQNFgnB6q4oXRh4uKu4PQ7p49Ajw MUg1yYYzv_XvsrbfONh

Fuel does sound like the logical place to start.

The ones that work best have the adjustable nozzle, it's easier to regulate the fuel.

drschemel
05-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Just remember, if you back fire and spit gasoline all over your engine compartment, you are going to have a fire. Start fluid burns faster and not as hot so it doesn't tend to start engine fires as easily. Keep an ABC rated fire extinguisher handy!:firejump:

JimN
05-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Just remember, if you back fire and spit gasoline all over your engine compartment, you are going to have a fire. Start fluid burns faster and not as hot so it doesn't tend to start engine fires as easily. Keep an ABC rated fire extinguisher handy!:firejump:

The flame arrestor can be left on, or loosen the nut so the hole around the stud is open. It can also be squirted into the PCV hose.

Jim@BAWS
05-20-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't feel as if carbs should suddenly "need" adjustment, atleast not Holley 4 barrels - if you were talking some sort of Weber on an old Porsche, or those hellish Bing's equipped to BMW motorcycles we'd talk.

You seem fuel seems to be a good place to start, from the tank pick up through to the main fuel filter, then up the side by the fuel pump there is another filter, then on the Carb there is a screen. Each of these places atleast dump and rinse in fresh fuel, which will give you a better ideal if it is a cause or just ancillary to the situation.

This should really be done yearly on the fuel end.

Then on the ignition, if 89 has points inspect them, adjust them, you probably do not need to replace them, for giggles take a spare plug, pull a plug wire, put the plug in the socket, ground it on a convenient bolt on the manifold and crank over - you should see a healthy spark.

Most folks don't have a good meter that has dwell and such anymore. If you do, doesn't hurt to give it a looksee.

In 1989 INDMAR went to breakerless ignition. Cap and rotor only!

stuartmcnair
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
it's the carb. Has to be rebuilt. The mechanic I had look at it said everything else was good but this is getting common for him to do.

I use sea foam and sta-bil marine but fuel just sucks now. My wife has a station down by her office that still sells it without ethanol. She is going to get fuel from there from now on for the boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Before condemning the carb, I would turn the idle speed up to where it will idle and see what speed that is. Could be a base gasket leak. That will cause the same symptoms and gaskets can dry out in the off season.