PDA

View Full Version : Chirping Belt

bbruzzese
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey, Just dropped our 08 PS197 in the water out of storage and seem to have developed a chirping...I'm assuming from the engine Belt. All our previous boats had a spring loaded tensioner...how tight should the belt be? chirping stops once under way (just off idle). Can you over tighten it?

Thanks,

mgs96ps
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Monday morning and I am at work and you are on your 197. I hope the chirp drives you crazy.:D. Not really...wish I could help but I have 96 ps190. Hang tight...someone will have an answer soon.

timvan
05-23-2013, 02:46 PM
if its not slipping... its just a bit dry and rubbing on the pulley edges. Spray it with some wd40 and it will stop talking to you

bbruzzese
05-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Just ordered a new belt...figured it can't hurt to have a spare anyway...but i'll try that first. thanks, i really appreciate the response.

drschemel
05-23-2013, 03:43 PM
you could also have a rough spot on the pulley where the belt sat all winter. It should go away after a couple hours of use. You're right, an extra belt is always a good idea. There aren't many autopart stores on the lake! If you watch the belt while your engine idles, you should be able to tell if is chirps each time the pulley goes round or with each revolution of the belt.

bbruzzese
05-23-2013, 03:55 PM
if i had to guess from the sound i'd say with each revolution of the belt but i'll watch a bit closer next time out...thanks again.

drschemel
05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
If you want to be scientific, you can paint a dab of white-out on the belt and another dab on each pulley and it will help you narrow it down as whether it is the crank, the water pump, the alternator, or the belt.

bbruzzese
05-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Turns out I think it's my impeller...with the cover off I assume it should be flush with the housing? For some reason it hangs out about 2mm and looks to be rubbing on the housing cover. I've never removed it so not sure how it would work its way out but I can't get it in further or out. Just ordered a spare so I'm a little hesitant to work it too hard.

cpr05xtr
05-23-2013, 06:21 PM
mine sticks out just a tiny bit on my xstar

Snipe
05-23-2013, 06:24 PM
if its not slipping... its just a bit dry and rubbing on the pulley edges. Spray it with some wd40 and it will stop talking to you
Not sure if I would spray WD-40 on my belts. That's a lubricant and will make the belt slip. :noface: You should have about 1/4 inch play at the longest stretch of your belt.

bbruzzese
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Haven't done it but I assumed he meant just a little on the side...definitely wouldn't put it on the grooved surface.

mikeg205
05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Not sure if I would spray WD-40 on my belts. That's a lubricant and will make the belt slip. :noface: You should have about 1/4 inch play at the longest stretch of your belt.

You could go as far as get some belt dressing...

g-mantrix
05-24-2013, 12:08 AM
had this issue on my mcx, was a random squeel at take off only, some of the times though. Belt seemed tensioned ok though, so left it and after about 2 seasons it got worse, would squeal louder at take off and onto plane also. Got the service guys out, did the tension on the belt up and no longer have the squeal. I kinda got used to the squeal at take off and just let it be for too long, but once its gone oh so much sweeter

bbruzzese
05-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks again for all the help...turns out impellers can swell significantly...I had no idea. It was swollen to the point that it was rubbing on the pump cover causing the squeek. When i removed the cover it was sticking out at least 2mm...couldn't re-install the cover. New impeller fits flush...problem solved.