PDA

View Full Version : L18 hissing at 2200 rpm

StrmChzr
05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
My '05 L18 has developed a "hissing" noise around 2200 rpm since putting her on water last month (~ 8 hours this season). Noise resembles air being released by air tank compressor. It occurs under load, but not present at any rpm when tranny in neutral.

The sound seems to be coming from the direction of the serpentine belt - behind engine. Any ideas?

StrmChzr
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Video'd the engine tonight to better describe the sound engine is making.

Here's some more details regarding the "whistling" or hissing sound. I had a new serpentine belt installed this spring and noticed a considerable amount of black dust near belt. The sound seems to be coming from the serpentine belt wheels (don't know technical term to describe "wheels" that belt turns).

Also, don't know if this makes a difference but my water pump seems to be leaking considerable amount of water through the weep hole. You can see the water pooling in the bottom of the engine compartment in video.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/96/l5yzhpyzjiseetjwxsittq.mp4/

willyt
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
mmmm water pumps dont have weep holes...

Rossterman
05-21-2013, 12:07 AM
They actually do as a telltale for the seal leaking. These weepholes leaking water means the pump needs to be replaced as the seal has failed.

ricford
05-21-2013, 12:15 AM
That's your problem. Need a new water pump.