PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! 1985 stars and stripes

LGP
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
I was cleaning a newly purchased 85 SS today and the mirror bracket broke into many pieces. The mirror isnt broken just the black plastic case at the bolts which were connect to the mounts. I have searched all over for one and no luck... any ideas?
Thanks all...

XavierSPL
05-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Can you post any pics of the damage??

madcityskier
05-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Pick up a side view mirror at a truck stop and mount it t those brackets. No problem.

LGP
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Mad..
I followed on your idea about using a big rig mirror to replace my broken one on my 1985 SS. Just ordered exactly what I needed on E-Bay for $35. What a great idea !! Thank you for responding... truly appreciated

madcityskier
05-19-2013, 09:33 PM
No problem. Did ours years ago. Let's see some pics of this beauty.

LGP
05-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Mad,
I will get some pics up soon. I notice you have offered good advice to many here. Any thoughts on how to remove stripped lag screws from my swim platform? The upper two on both sides are stuck and I really dont want to remove the fuel tank and cut open the floor boards. I appreciate your input.

madcityskier
05-20-2013, 07:46 AM
http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=94644
Lots of old threads on this. This one is a decent reference. I've heard the occasional try with bigger lag bolts, but I believe that would be a short term solution. We put a large aluminum backer plate years ago. Looking back I might change to removable platform brackets.
I've definitely found more help in this forum than I've given.

SKI*MC
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey Mad..
I followed on your idea about using a big rig mirror to replace my broken one on my 1985 SS. Just ordered exactly what I needed on E-Bay for $35. What a great idea !! Thank you for responding... truly appreciated

I had to replace my mirror on my 83 this winter too. It fell apart to pieces when I took it off the brackets. Luckily fleet farm sells just about everything... I was able to pick up a replacement mirror for $10. Looks great too :D