PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control X-Star

ski_king
09-04-2004, 07:29 PM
I have been looking at a toy remote control X-Star at Wal-Mart on and off all summer. It is about 16 in. long and it appears to have forward-reverse and left-right controls. The price was $30, but I see they have reduced them with the end of summer stuff to $20.

Has anybody bought one of these? If so how does it work? Is it a battery hog?

Looks like something that may be fun to mess with inbetween ski runs, etc.

MarkP
09-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Powerslot

I think that store has an easy return policy. Go for it..:D

SD190EVO
09-04-2004, 11:53 PM
I got one. It is not going to 'wow' you with it's performance. I was thinking of maybe going to the hobby store and getting a better little elec motor for it as I think the rest of the 'hull' is pretty good. Just not too fast.

Here it is in my hot tub. Can't really go wrong for $20 bucks?

André
09-05-2004, 09:50 AM
"...Just not too fast..."
Good,hot tubs are a no wake zone anyways! :D

bonedoc
09-05-2004, 12:20 PM
everything's better with poutine on it....mais oui?

André
09-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Bonedoc
LOL
Did the Poutine made its way to Alberta yet?

bonedoc
09-05-2004, 04:35 PM
oh yeah........
I actually first had it way back in high-school on a french exchange to the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec....

then I found it in Jasper at a little pizza place run by a guy from quebec....makes it with meat sauce and the curd cheese and gravy....you can't eat just one

now we have it here everywhere...A&W, Harveys...just waiting for McDonalds to offer it with the McPoulet

If Quebec seperates, do we have to give back the poutine?

Poutine, Beer, and Mastercraft are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy :toast: :dance:

André
09-05-2004, 09:01 PM
...Yep,that and a 8 months waterski season would definitely make me a believer! :cool:
Have you "met" Neil M.?he's from Calgary and a regular on the board...He would really need a good bonedoc as he broke a couples of ribs wakeboarding last week. :uglyhamme

H20skeefreek
09-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I got one. It is not going to 'wow' you with it's performance. I was thinking of maybe going to the hobby store and getting a better little elec motor for it as I think the rest of the 'hull' is pretty good. Just not too fast.

Here it is in my hot tub. Can't really go wrong for $20 bucks?

My boss has a couple of the Air Nautique ones, they are pretty cool, they actually put off a pretty good wakeboard wake, to scale that is. we race them around his swimming pool, kinda fun. especially for 20 bucks.

Leroy
09-09-2004, 02:17 AM
I saw the SN version at Walmart and they look cool, but then thought of Twiggy the skiing squirrel.

Do they have problems turning left in reverse?

H20skeefreek
09-09-2004, 08:38 AM
I saw the SN version at Walmart and they look cool, but then thought of Twiggy the skiing squirrel.

Do they have problems turning left in reverse?

nope, they are twin engine.

MasterCrafting
09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
We all knew that hot tub was big enough!

Idontownaboat
09-10-2004, 03:08 PM
looks like me riding behind it haha
nice photoshopin

east tx skier
09-10-2004, 04:46 PM
So let's keep with the photoshopping. Since it's a public hot tub, let's be realistic. Here come the river turds!

bcampbe7
09-10-2004, 04:48 PM
LOL!!! :uglyhamme

MasterCrafting
09-10-2004, 09:32 PM
I see....:headbang:

ski_king
09-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I decided to pass on the X-Star until I happened to see them at the sidewalk sale at Wal-Mart for $10 each.....

I bought 2..... Already had the first outing at the farm pond across the road.

While the performance dosen't wow ya, it was better than I expected.
They will lood good sitting on my shelf as well.

Next, I will try to teach the cat to wakeboard....

captkidd
09-13-2004, 03:39 PM
OK, I'm waiting for you guys to post a "How to Hop-up Your R/C X-Star" thread before I buy one of these. Besides, my local Wal-Mart still hasn't dropped the price from $29.95 (I know because I look every time I go in there).

ski_king
09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
That will be my off season project.
I have been looking over a old hobby quality remote control car I have that has seen its better days long ago. Thinking of takeing the motor, speed controller and radio out and put in the X-Star.

Leroy
09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Powerslot; If you post a pix of your cat skiing behind that boat I'll bust!

bonedoc
09-14-2004, 01:45 PM
my Walmart doesn't have them.....anyone willing to ship one up here for me??? :) :) :)

I think it's because all the freeking snow shovels are on display where anything remotely "summer" used to be..

movin to texas....yehaaa!!!!! (dare to dream) :dance:

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 01:48 PM
bonedoc-
You can order one at www.walmart.com

Not sure if this link will work, but try this:
Radio Controlled MC (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2612124&cat=78166&type=5&dept=4171&path=0%3A4171%3A4199%3A4200%3A78166)

André
09-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Bonedoc
I'm going to work in Mckenzie B.C. in October...I guess i don't need to bring my ski with me! :eek:

ski_king
09-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I went back to Wal-Mart Sat. evening to buy all they had for $10 ea.
I figured I could give them to nephews as Christmas Presents or unload them on ebay. Somebody beat me to it. Clerk told me somebody bought about 10 an hour before I got there. Keep an eye out on ebay.

bonedoc
09-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Andre.....yeah, the only ski you need to bring is the one with the steel edges........Powder Keg gets 40+ feet of powder every year...last year they reported a whopping 760 Inches of snowfall......

....don't forget your snorkel and the poutine!!!!

bcampbe7
09-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I hope this does not get me banished from the site, but...
I went to Walmart the other night. They did not have the MasterCraft boat, which is what I wanted. They did have the SN version. It was on sale. I bought it... :o
It is the twin engine one that was mentioned earlier. It works fairly well, but I would also like to look into replacing the engines with more powerfull ones. Not sure if this is possible or not, but...
I have looked at some other RC boats that are gas powered. They supposedly hit 50MPH! I'm thinking that is scaled speed but have seen gas powered RC cars that would hit 50+MPH.

ski_king
09-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I looked at the SN one also.
It appeared to be a better model of an inferior boat.

bonedoc
09-15-2004, 02:02 PM
the gas powered boats do reach 50+ MPH, real speed

had a replica "Miss Budweiser" boat that was that fast.....lots of fun, but at those speed any little ripple or just turning a little too fast sends the boat rolling and flipping across the water....if you get one, get a good row boat or little zodiac to go fetch the thing when it flips or runs out of gas....eventually all the boat fetching and fixing the hull got old and I sold it.......want to try helicopter next.....a friend of mine makes his own wakeboard and snowmobile videos using an RC helicopter with a digital video camera equipped with an FM transmitter attached to it...he runs it from the boat while watching the video live on a 10" portable lcd tv sceen, and he gets some really good "pro" shots of the boat and boarder

FYI, was at a local hobby store last weekend.....you can now get the RC unlimited class race boats with real miniature jet powered engines, with real speeds of 70 MPH+

captkidd
09-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah, unfortunately the SN's appear to be a much better deal. More powerful battery (included) and twin prop. Just ugly (like the real thing). The local Wal-Mart still hasn't discounted the X-Stars.

There's usually a booth at the local boat show manned by a club that builds and races R/C boats. They use weedeater engines and racing props, and from the videos they show, it looks like those things will fly.