PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock performer rpm build

reftech
05-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi guys I will be starting a new engine build for my 87 prostar 190 soon and I'm debating on going with the edelbrock performer heads,intake, and cam. Has anyone used this setup? I'm sure the heads and intake are a decent choice and by looking at the cam specs I think it will be good in my application.the bottom end will remain stock basically other than an oversize bore and new pistons as well as balancing the rotating assembly. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks guys!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Sounds like good choices, I would suggest you look into iron heads if you going to run salt water, it's all preference. What kind of budget, what are your expectations, an increase of hp will likely require a new propeller. nothing wrong with edelbrock, I ran a similar on an old f150 for years. If your looking for comparing, my boat I went with weiand intake, world's sr. iron heads, and a lunati camshaft and I then needed to reprop. Like I said many ways to skin a cat to achieve the same end goal.

SWGA Boater
05-19-2013, 12:02 PM
On your rebuild you may want to consider the Performer manifold instead of the Performer RPM. The ideal operating range for the Performer is idle to 5,500 RPM, the Performer RPM range is 1,5 to 6,500 PRM. I think max RPM on the 351 is about 4,600 RPM. The Performer RPM is going to give better performance in the higher RPM range which you may not get the full benefit (above 4600 RPM). As stated above Weiand makes some great manifolds also. What ever you chose I would look closely at the operating range.

reftech
05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Good info guys and I couldn't agree more! I've considered the world cast heads and several other options.the boat won't be run in saltwater so I'm not stressing the aluminum heads. I did look at the operating range and have the same concerns with power off idle but I ran the performer intake once on a fox body stang and honestly I couldn't tell that it really did anything other than look better than the stock cast unit.with that said, I did run the weird stealth on a 69 Mach one build years ago and thought it was a great manifold (good torque). I've never been crazy about edelbrock components but in my opinion they have made some great improvements and the performer combination really doesn't seem bad coming in at 1600.00 for heads intake and cam. I'm still researching and plan on calling them,lunati and comp cams tomorrow for ideas. There's too many options nowadays!! Also it's my understanding according to the Borg Warner manual that the 71c is only rated for 350hp. What is u guys take in this??

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Good info guys and I couldn't agree more! I've considered the world cast heads and several other options.the boat won't be run in saltwater so I'm not stressing the aluminum heads. I did look at the operating range and have the same concerns with power off idle but I ran the performer intake once on a fox body stang and honestly I couldn't tell that it really did anything other than look better than the stock cast unit.with that said, I did run the weird stealth on a 69 Mach one build years ago and thought it was a great manifold (good torque). I've never been crazy about edelbrock components but in my opinion they have made some great improvements and the performer combination really doesn't seem bad coming in at 1600.00 for heads intake and cam. I'm still researching and plan on calling them,lunati and comp cams tomorrow for ideas. There's too many options nowadays!! Also it's my understanding according to the Borg Warner manual that the 71c is only rated for 350hp. What is u guys take in this??

I haven't had any problem's with my BW 71c 1:1 transmission, actually never gave it a second thought with ~1hp=1ci it's not overkill, especially since you will never be at the top RPM band to make the big HP of said engine in our type boats.

I did spec the original cam @.050" when I was doing mine and this is what I came up with.
INT OPEN -11°BTDC
INT CLO 41°ABDC
EX OPEN 47°BBDC
EX CLO -5°ATDC
INT LIFT .280" @ LIFTER .448"
EX LIFT .280" @ LIFTER .448"
INT DURATION @.050" 210°
EX DURATION @.050" 222°
LSA 116°

DooSPX
05-20-2013, 10:07 AM
There is a member on here, but can't remember his name. He did a Eddy top end combo. I think it used the Performer.

James, thanks for the cam spec's!