PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Buddy ??

CantRepeat
05-19-2013, 10:08 AM
For those of you that use an anchor buddy I have a few questions.

How well does it hold your boat in place when you're getting rollers from passing boats?

The sell a 7 and a 14 foot version, which are you using and on average how deep is the water you anchor in?

GoneBoatN
05-19-2013, 11:19 AM
For those of you that use an anchor buddy I have a few questions.

How well does it hold your boat in place when you're getting rollers from passing boats?

The sell a 7 and a 14 foot version, which are you using and on average how deep is the water you anchor in?

I use an anchor buddy. With that and the box anchor the boat does not move. Never. Not one bit. I bought both at the same time so I have no comparison otherwise. I think the 7` is really more for PWC. I have the 14'. As far as how deep and how close to shore, I don't like to be that close to ground so if it is a steep bank I will anchor closer. Shallow bank, I will stay a bit further out.

Since the 14 ft says it stretches to 50' I will use just it in about 20` of water. The box anchor works fine with a 2:1 scope. Beyond that I have a 200' anchor line set up such that I can easily clip on the anchor buddy and go way deep. Beyond that I just float.

Before the anchor buddy and box anchor, my boat would always creep due to rollers or would let loose due to a wind change. My kids would always cringe when I would say it was time to anchor for a while. I never dared to leave the boat unattended. Now the kids say "remember when...".

east tx skier
05-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I have one. I can't remember the length, but I think it's the shorter one. I use it in 15 feet of water and, sometimes, less. I use it in conjunction with a rope anchor line and a 12 lb. tri-fluke river anchor. Boat stays put just fine.

Red 08 Xstar
05-20-2013, 12:03 AM
I use mine off the stern to keep the boat from spinning around. I would never use it to anchor the boat.

gweaver
05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I use an anchor buddy with a line clipped to the right hand rail (closed bow ProStar), going out about 30 feet to a fluke anchor in about 15 feet of water. I run an anchor line to the stern eye, then about 25 feet back to shore. This holds me far enough away from the shore that I'm not worried, but allows enough stretch to pull the boat in when it's time to go. I haven't had any issues with rollers- yeah, the boat will 'drift' to the left and right, but no more than a few feet, then it centers again.
I know it's a challenge, but if you can anchor so the bow's facing the direction most of the rollers come from, it shouldn't be a problem. We anchor in a small cove, so that helps quite a bit.
G

Scottman
05-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Somehow I've never heard of this product. Thanks for posting about it!

willbarber1989
05-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I was also looking into these for a houseboating trip coming up. The beaches are all rough rock and there are usually alot of houseboats parked within 10 feet of either side of our houseboat at night. My concern is how to tie it up? I would like to keep the bow facing away from shore to avoid any lapping over the back in rough water, but also avoid any unwanted collisions with a houseboat if someone beside me doesn't secure thier houseboat properly. Could something like this work if it was tied off the back deck of the houseboat at night? Anybody else used another method??

Thanks

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I got mine yesterday. All it is is a nylon rope with a really long piece of surgical tubing inside of it. I got the longer of the two and I'll be testing it out over the weekend. Probably take some pics or some video of it.

Miss Rita
05-23-2013, 08:30 PM
The anchor buddies are handy under light seas and winds, but if it's windy it won't be adequate.

CantRepeat
05-24-2013, 05:11 AM
The anchor buddies are handy under light seas and winds, but if it's windy it won't be adequate.

How well does it hold in 1 foot rollers? I'm thinking it's not going to work for me but figured I'd give it a try.

Miss Rita
05-24-2013, 09:26 AM
I didn't have problems with rollers, but I've had problems with heavier winds stretching the bungee so that the boat was bumping up against the beach. Then I have to wade out into the water, pull up the anchor, try to throw it out another 10-20 feet, wade back to shore, continue to watch the boat, etc.

I would look at it as a nice tool to have under the right conditions, but I don't trust it very much.

GoneBoatN
05-24-2013, 01:31 PM
How well does it hold in 1 foot rollers? I'm thinking it's not going to work for me but figured I'd give it a try.

It's going to do just fine with one foot rollers. My observation is that wind 8-15 mph will take it out to maybe about 1/2 its length. Then the remaining about of stretch will absorb rollers. Remember rollers only impact the boat for a short duration so the additional stretch is not that much.

east tx skier
05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
It's going to do just fine with one foot rollers. My observation is that wind 8-15 mph will take it out to maybe about 1/2 its length. Then the remaining about of stretch will absorb rollers. Remember rollers only impact the boat for a short duration so the additional stretch is not that much.

Did fine in 4' rollers for me for an afternoon once. As long as you have a rope on there as well and use the anchor buddy for the stretch, but not the ultimate length, it will be fine.

Alternatively, you could buy some surgical latex tubing on ebay, add it to your anchor line, zip tie the snot out of your knots, and you'll be fine for less money..

CantRepeat
05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
I was pretty sceptical as to whether or not the anchor buddy would hold the boat in the rollers, but it work pretty well.

It seems it's better to toss anchor and then use the other line to keep some tension on the anchor buddy. With the anchor buddy preloaded by keeping the aft line tight the boat really didn't move all that much. When the boat did move it was only a couple of feet by the very big rollers. With the right tension on it the boat rode the rollers and then went back to it's preloaded tension point.

Miss Rita
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Did fine in 4' rollers for me for an afternoon once.

Wow! Where did you encounter waves of that size?

CantRepeat
05-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Wow! Where did you encounter waves of that size?

At one of the islands that we anchor at people think it's cool to wakeboard between the island the main shore. They end up passing within a couple hundred feet from the island. You know the type, the ones that need to be "seen" so they do a couple of loops in there before continuing on to the better water.

BrooksfamX2
05-26-2013, 11:45 AM
I've used an anchor buddy (with a sand spike on shore) for 15+ years and it has always done well. I have never used it to anchor over night though.

BTW, I met and rode motorcycles with the guy that invented these. I had used the product well before that though.

CantRepeat
05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I've used an anchor buddy (with a sand spike on shore) for 15+ years and it has always done well. I have never used it to anchor over night though.

BTW, I met and rode motorcycles with the guy that invented these. I had used the product well before that though.

I wish you would have told me that before I purchased one. :rolleyes: I'll probably have to off myself tonight just thinking about it.