PDA

View Full Version : Wd-40

Flatwaterfooter
09-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I was talking with an owner of brand x ski boat the other day and we were discussing winterizing the boats. He said he sprays his entire engine down with WD-40 and come spring the engine is clean as can be and does not need to be cleaned up. Does anyone else do this. I like the idea of coating the engine but I do not want to have to clean all the WD-40 off come spring. What is everyones thoughts

Tom023
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
I've used a storage seal before made specifically for the purpose. Spray it on, you don't have to clean it off, it remains as a protective coating agains corrosion. Mercruiser makes one, CorrosionX is another.

AirJunky
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
When I bought my boat a friend of mine who owned a '92 PS205 told me to do the same thing on a regular basis to keep things from rusting. He was the original owner of his boat & the engine looked pretty good...... but then again it only had like 350 hours on it at the time too.
5 yrs later he's sold his boat & I've got the typical rust on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. So I don't know if it really does any good or not.

Dan K
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
What are you protecting it from ?
The engine is exposed all summer to moisture and heat. I have never sprayed my 81 with anything and it still looks fine. No pics available today sorry.

Flatwaterfooter
09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
From what I gathered it was not so much the protection, more for cleaning without the work

east tx skier
09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I used silicone spray last season. The engine already had rust on it, so I don't know if I have any more at this point. Can't hurt ... can it?

BuoyChaser
09-29-2005, 03:42 PM
i know when i use to own a crotchrocket, a bunch of my buddies would use WD-40 to coat their bike engines...would make them shine and protect them from rain/moisture from sitting outside...made the engine/chrome look beautiful...of course you still have to wipe down...

not quite sure how you would avoid OVERSPRAY, can't imagine WD-40 on the carpet/upholestry would be good...

G-man
09-29-2005, 04:07 PM
corossionx is used for coating outboards on the coast. Anytime they are serviced they get coated. It will not hurt rubber products on your engine like oil based products.This stuff has taken the place of WD40 in my tools. They're other product rejex is also used to wax my boat, my car, and their windshields.

http://corrosionx.com/

east tx skier
09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
George, I just read that somewhere else. ;)

G-man
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
funny I read about rh props on MC somewhere different. The boat called the beast design for ski fly had a RH prop. When I saw it back up I thought I was seeing things. When you start using corossionx you'll wonder how you lived with out it. A friend of mine works for them and he got me hooked. Cobalt Boats give a sample with their saltwater package. It is used on the SS rubrail to keep it looking new.

Cloaked
09-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks George. Nice product info tip and recommendation.. :toast:

JohnnyB
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
I've used food grade silicone spray on my boat engines as well as snowmobile engines. It resists corrosion but does not degrade hoses or wire insulation.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Water Displacement-40.

The 40 is how many tries it took the scientists to come up with the right formula.

Works good for a ton of stuff EXCEPT as a lubricating oil.

H20skeefreek
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I've used food grade silicone spray on my boat engines as well as snowmobile engines. It resists corrosion but does not degrade hoses or wire insulation.
actually, silicone does damage hoses and rubber. use 303, it won't damage the hoses and makes everything look great.

River Rat
09-30-2005, 08:35 AM
My Dad used WD-40 to spray down his outboard after every use and after 8 years the motor still looked new. This was salt water use. I use Corrosion X after every use my boat and it seems to work good as well. My boat is run in brackish water so I need all the help I can get.

G-man
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
actually, silicone does damage hoses and rubber. use 303, it won't damage the hoses and makes everything look great.

I disagree that silicone will damage rubber. I have never seen that and all the Scuba equipment I have worked on and had worked on got treated with food grade silicone. There is nothing wrong with 303 but there is nothing wrong with food grade silicone. It works great for lubing up your impeller before you put it in the housing.

AirJunky
09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Recently the guys at Wiley's told me NOT to use food grade silicone on their drysuit seals. After years of the factory making the exact opposite recomendation, they have found the silicone is a temporary fix & is actually destroying the seals, in some cases in less than a year.
This would be the case for suits made by StayDry, Adrenaline, OS, Bare, & USIA, to name a few as they are all made using the same seals in the same factory.

east tx skier
09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Water Displacement-40.

The 40 is how many tries it took the scientists to come up with the right formula.

Works good for a ton of stuff EXCEPT as a lubricating oil.

Sort of makes you wonder about the poor bastages that had to test preperations A through G. ;)

east tx skier
09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
funny I read about rh props on MC somewhere different. The boat called the beast design for ski fly had a RH prop. When I saw it back up I thought I was seeing things. When you start using corossionx you'll wonder how you lived with out it. A friend of mine works for them and he got me hooked. Cobalt Boats give a sample with their saltwater package. It is used on the SS rubrail to keep it looking new.

Hee hee! We get around, don't we.

G-man
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Air Junkey

What is Wileys recommending? There is a major difference between silicone and food grade silicone so I wonder if that was part of the problem. My drysuit is 7 years old treated with food grade silicone watch me have a blow out now.

AirJunky
09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Darren told me to use nothing on the new seals. I don't think that means the old seals too. But I don't know where the cutoff is either. My own suit is about 3 yrs old & he said NOT to use anything on it. I asked about using baby powder to slide in & he didn't think that was a problem.
Frankly if your using food grade silicon for 7 years now, I don't think I'd stop. If you had a blowout tomorrow, 7 yrs isn't exactly bad.