PDA

View Full Version : Hit a log #$%*&@%!!!

pmikler
05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
On the river today and there was a very tall fallen palm tree just under the surface. I was going about 18-20 when it caught my eye and I cut throttle immediately. I would estimate i was going 12-15 when I hit it and it wasn't a come to a complete stop hit... more of a jar/bump. Afterwords there was a noticeable vibration so I putted back to the marina....

Questions (see link for video) https://vimeo.com/66476806

1. Prop still turns with one hand which would lead me to believe the strut and the shaft are ok. ....correct?
2. rudder seams to have some play- not sure how much is normal
3. One blade is a bit bent. I had to really look and feel for it (could a barely bent prop cause a noticeable vibration? never had one bent in the 6 years of having an inboard)

I have been thinking about re-proping anyway so I may do that but I don't want to put on a new prop and still have something wrong and have to then shell out money for a strut , shaft etc... if everyone's opinion is the prop ill go prop and play the odds. If its get a run-out gauge and check shaft etc... then its going to the dealer and to save some coin ill have the prop fixed.

Thanks in advance for the input.

sand2snow22
05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Prop, shaft or strut. You should be able to look from behind the boat and see if the strut is bent..

CantRepeat
05-18-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd bet money it's just the prop. We hit something once that I didn't even see the vibration was crazy bad.

It only takes a little ding.

nickespi
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
A very slight bend will cause massive vibration. My money is on it only being the prop. Time to reprop and go aggressive!

ttu
05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I had a similar impact like that except it was my ex girlfriend who was putting the boat on the trailer coming in way to hot! damaged prop but it was repaired by oj props.

make sure you check and see if you have any water coming in out of the rudder port. I did and it turned out it damaged the rudder port seal which I replaced.

ricford
05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I had a similar impact like that except it was my ex girlfriend who was putting the boat on the trailer coming in way to hot! damaged prop but it was repaired by oj props.

make sure you check and see if you have any water coming in out of the rudder port. I did and it turned out it damaged the rudder port seal which I replaced.

Noticed it was your ex girlfriend. Was that the reason for the split?

ttu
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Noticed it was your ex girlfriend. Was that the reason for the split?

hey it wasn't her first time bending a prop on the trailer but yes it was her last!!!!

fskof
05-18-2013, 08:20 PM
hey it wasn't her first time bending a prop on the trailer but yes it was her last!!!!

Thats why I NEVER did let my Ex drive the boat. She would have found every rock, stump, log in the lake... lol
The one time I told her to watch the boat and dont let it rub against the dock while I went to park the car I came back with her back to the boat talking to some people while the boat was rubbing against the dock :eek: I learned my lesson!

snork
05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
100/1 its the prop

Traxx822
05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Thats why I NEVER did let my Ex drive the boat. She would have found every rock, stump, log in the lake... lol
The one time I told her to watch the boat and dont let it rub against the dock while I went to park the car I came back with her back to the boat talking to some people while the boat was rubbing against the dock :eek: I learned my lesson!

My fiance and my brother were half passed out drunk in the boat. My old boat. Anyways, went to go get the van and trailer. Told them to hold the boat to the dock. I come back and they are sleeping. My boat with them in it has floated farther than I could shout. It wasn't for about 10 minutes before one woke up and idled back. We still laugh about that. We wouldn't have been laughing if it was my MC!!! :cool:

Oh, and its your prop dude. Pretty sure.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Mastercraft13
05-19-2013, 11:18 AM
My vote is the prop only, did the exact thing a few weeks ago we were just idling and must of hit a log. 2 blades bent, had to call Eric @ OJ! Only 10 hrs on the boat, was extremely pissed. Had an I/O for 10+ years and never a prop ding. My luck I'm running an OJ 522 which is one of the more expensive ones, but that's why they call it a BOAT.

Tristarboarder
05-19-2013, 03:56 PM
There are those that have, and those that will...

pmikler
05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I took the prop off this afternoon and with it off and spinning on a flat surface I can defiantly see that 2 blades took an impact.

I am probably going to get this one repaired locally and buy new from OJ. I'll be calling into OJ in the a.m..... the question is now the 5 or 4 blade- Can't decide despite their being a pretty extensive thread on it.

CantRepeat
05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
When I ask Eric, he said I would not like the 5 blade. It seems it is for "VERY" heavy loads, like and Xstar with an extra 5000 lbs of ballast. I run 2500 on my surf set up and run a 4 blade but I'd have to look and see what the number is.

east tx skier
05-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Probably only the prop. But while it's off, find someone with a feeler gauge and check runout. Should be 0.002" IIRC. Very easy to do with the gauge.

captain planet
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Probably only the prop. But while it's off, find someone with a feeler gauge and check runout. Should be 0.002" IIRC. Very easy to do with the gauge.

Eastie, care to elaborate? I hit a log last year at buckeye bash and just got back from running my boat for the first time on the rebuilt prop. It feels good up to around 34-36, then I'm not sure I may still have a slight vibration. There was a little chop on the water so it was hard to tell if the vibration was really there.

GoneBoatN
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Eastie, care to elaborate? I hit a log last year at buckeye bash and just got back from running my boat for the first time on the rebuilt prop. It feels good up to around 34-36, then I'm not sure I may still have a slight vibration. There was a little chop on the water so it was hard to tell if the vibration was really there.

Very easy to do with or with a gauge.

Without a gauge: Get a block or something of the sort (heavy). Clamp something like a steel/metal ruler to the block and use a .003 feeler gauge to set the distance between the shaft and the edge of the ruler. Now just spin the shaft via the prop trying not to move the boat assuming it is on a trailer. To make it a bit easier, block/jack up the trailer so it does not move or just don't pull very hard on the prop. Use a smaller feeler guage (.001) to test the straightness of the shaft as you rotate it.

pmikler
05-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Not sure if this is an ongoing promotion or just current but thought some would like to know that OJ will repair for free if you buy a prop from them. If the prop cannot be repaired they will give you a 100 credit towards the new prop. And for those that have not dealt with them they are incredibly responsive. I wish all companies where like that.

Unfortunately for me I had to take the 100 and not a no charge repair since the prop was bent at the hub and could not be repaired. No back up for me :mad:

Did the feeler gauge test for the first time and it looks good. Also I tend to think its ok since its not binding- I can grab the shaft and spin it with one hand. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I install new prop and take her out. Prop should be in tomorrow.

So here's hoping it isn't anything else that's going to cost money since I just paid cash for 25 new windows and a dock/lift to be installed in the next couple of weeks. I hate spending money.

snork
05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
bent at the hub, interesting, you'd think the blade would fold over first

pmikler
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM
bent at the hub, interesting, you'd think the blade would fold over first

My thoughts exactly. When I took it off and spun it on a flat surface I defiantly saw some issues with 2 of the blades but it wasn't a fold over as you said. I couldn't determine with my eye really where the bend started. It really looked like there was nothing much wrong with it until I took it off.

Mastercraft13
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
OJ just did the same thing for me. Fortunately, the two bent blades were able to be repaired so I have a spare now. I suspect a log, but never actually was able to see the culprit. I am just grateful I was at idol.

mikeg205
05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
OJ just did the same thing for me. Fortunately, the two bent blades were able to be repaired so I have a spare now. I suspect a log, but never actually was able to see the culprit. I am just grateful I was at idol.

I bet it was a big gator-gar... at least that story is more fun - and a bit scary.. ;)

pmikler
05-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Fresh of the truck. For those who are curious Eric recommended the 14.25 x 14.5. 95473

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Fresh of the truck. For those who are curious Eric recommended the

That is the same prop he recommended to me. It makes a ton of difference out of the hole while running wake or surf ballast. It also made a big difference getting two skiers up on a double up run.

I probably dropped 3 or 4 mph on the top end but the added hole shot is well worth it. It's gonna make that 6000 lbs of weighted boat feel very nice.

tdjaster
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
About a month after my wife and I had just started dating, she hit something submerged (no way to see it) while I was riding. It damaged the gel coat, prop, strut, shaft, and rudder. We were about 4 miles away from the boat ramp and I couldn't give it any more power than idle speed without the whole boat shaking like hell. She thought I was going to flip out on her and we'd be done...not the case. I knew it was bad but I knew it was unavoidable and getting pissed at her wouldn't have helped anything.

The 5 of us on the boat ended up having a 2 mph dance party the whole way back to the ramp. I took it to TSR for the repair and filed an insurance claim. Funniest thing about it was that I had just changed insurance companies and had only made one monthly payment to them so far. I think the total bill was just south of $3k. I sold that boat about a year later. Needless to say, they lost money on me.

mzimme
05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
About a month after my wife and I had just started dating, she hit something submerged (no way to see it) while I was riding. It damaged the gel coat, prop, strut, shaft, and rudder. We were about 4 miles away from the boat ramp and I couldn't give it any more power than idle speed without the whole boat shaking like hell. She thought I was going to flip out on her and we'd be done...not the case. I knew it was bad but I knew it was unavoidable and getting pissed at her wouldn't have helped anything.

The 5 of us on the boat ended up having a 2 mph dance party the whole way back to the ramp. I took it to TSR for the repair and filed an insurance claim. Funniest thing about it was that I had just changed insurance companies and had only made one monthly payment to them so far. I think the total bill was just south of $3k. I sold that boat about a year later. Needless to say, they lost money on me.

The insurance Co. didn't drop you? 8p

tdjaster
05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
The insurance Co. didn't drop you? 8p

Nope.

east tx skier
05-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Sorry for the late reply. First, disconnect the safety lanyard. Next, take the prop off. Clean off the shaft. The tolerance is slight and dirt can throw it off. Put the run-out gauge on the prop guard on the trailer and adjust it so it is touching the shaft close to the tip (I misspoke earlier when I called it a feeler gauge). Zero the gauge. Then, turn the shaft slowly by hand. Watch the gauge. If you don't get more than a 0.002" variance, you're in tolerance. Frankly, if it goes up to 0.003" in a spot, you're probably still fine.

This is the gauge I'm talking about in one configuration or another.

http://feinmess-suhl.com/uploads/pics/uni-magnet-messstativ_01.jpg

east tx skier
05-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Very easy to do with or with a gauge.

Without a gauge: Get a block or something of the sort (heavy). Clamp something like a steel/metal ruler to the block and use a .003 feeler gauge to set the distance between the shaft and the edge of the ruler. Now just spin the shaft via the prop trying not to move the boat assuming it is on a trailer. To make it a bit easier, block/jack up the trailer so it does not move or just don't pull very hard on the prop. Use a smaller feeler guage (.001) to test the straightness of the shaft as you rotate it.

This. Well explained.

CantRepeat
05-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Sorry for the late reply. First, disconnect the safety lanyard. Next, take the prop off. Clean off the shaft. The tolerance is slight and dirt can throw it off. Put the run-out gauge on the prop guard on the trailer and adjust it so it is touching the shaft close to the tip (I misspoke earlier when I called it a feeler gauge). Zero the gauge. Then, turn the shaft slowly by hand. Watch the gauge. If you don't get more than a 0.002" variance, you're in tolerance. Frankly, if it goes up to 0.003" in a spot, you're probably still fine.

This is the gauge I'm talking about in one configuration or another.

http://feinmess-suhl.com/uploads/pics/uni-magnet-messstativ_01.jpg

I never would have thought about using a dial indicator. I've got that setup but us it to set backlash gears. But, it sure would do the trick.

east tx skier
05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
I never would have thought about using a dial indicator. I've got that setup but us it to set backlash gears. But, it sure would do the trick.

My dealer had one and I watched them do it. Mine was ever so slightly out (0.001 at one point). He said, "Run it. That could be dirt." That's what I have done. No vibration and trouble free for two years.

pmikler
05-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Went on a shake down run today with the new prop to make sure everything was OK. (OJ recommended 14.25 x 14.5 XMP)

I have never had anything but stock on my previous or current boat. I knew there would be a difference but not this much difference. Its night and day and IMHO worth the coin.

mikeg205
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Great - sounds like all good - and sporting a new prop ! Yes!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Went on a shake down run today with the new prop to make sure everything was OK. (OJ recommended 14.25 x 14.5 XMP)

I have never had anything but stock on my previous or current boat. I knew there would be a difference but not this much difference. Its night and day and IMHO worth the coin.

Better than new. :steering::woohoo:

bcd
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately I've got to revive this old thread. Hit a bad one today. I was pointing out something at shore, looked back, and we were heading directly into a 10' long 6" (at least) diameter log, directly T'ed up right in the center. The kind that's heavily water logged and barely floating. All I could do was pull it out of gear, no time to try swerving. We were only going 20-25 mph before pulling it out of gear. Couldn't do anything other than idle all the way back. Prop is pretty bent. There are horrible gashes in the gel coat. I put a straight edge on the shaft, and it doesn't look too straight.

JohnnyB
07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately I've got to revive this old thread. Hit a bad one today. I was pointing out something at shore, looked back, and we were heading directly into a 10' long 6" (at least) diameter log, directly T'ed up right in the center. The kind that's heavily water logged and barely floating. All I could do was pull it out of gear, no time to try swerving. We were only going 20-25 mph before pulling it out of gear. Couldn't do anything other than idle all the way back. Prop is pretty bent. There are horrible gashes in the gel coat. I put a straight edge on the shaft, and it doesn't look too straight.

Pics?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

bcd
07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Just took some for insurance

bcd
07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Apparently, the photo upload still doesn't work. I've never used photobucket, so here goes:

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/dauderm/library/

Cloaked
07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Apparently, the photo upload still doesn't work. I've never used photobucket, so here goes:

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/dauderm/library/Doesn't look too bad. The glass shouldn't be difficult other than the hassle of getting it done. Prop is hosed :D . Strut is hard to tell in the pictures but all-in-all, it shouldn't be hard to repair. Shaft is part of the deal....

Good for insurance. A great risk management strategy...