PDA

View Full Version : 06+ X2 Impeller Change

Indyxc
05-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Hello all,

I've changed many impellers, but my 06 X2 is asinine. (Just bought it).

The muffler box is right in back of the impeller housing, maybe 1 inch above it's center.

It looks like the muffler housing has to be removed, but before I do that, is there an easier way to do it?

I have a puller, but I can't get to it at an angle. Likewise, there is no evidence of the silencer housing ever being removed.

Thanks!

CantRepeat
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Check this out.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54321

It can be done without removing the muffler.

Indyxc
05-17-2013, 08:46 PM
I can't seem to get my muffler to move, even with all the clamps disconnected. I've pulled and pulled and pulled, and all I have accomplished is a massive fiberglass splinter.

I'd murder whoever designed this clearance.

Indyxc
05-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Wow.

So after try to move the muffler around and it starting to make crunching noises, I just decided to pull the raw water pump.

For anyone that is interested, it is 3 allen screws bolts to the crankshaft, and then it comes out.

Once it's out, you replace the impeller, and put it back together.

As an engineer, I would like to get a hold of the guy at mastercraft designed for engine to boat integration, and strangle him.

sand2snow22
05-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Mine is as tight as yours. With cover off, spray lubricant into housing. Bump engine over. lay down in port compartment. Grab lowest impeller fin with small vice grips. Shake while pulling. It will come out like butter. Just don't over tighten brass screw and snap it :(

bigmac
05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow.

So after try to move the muffler around and it starting to make crunching noises, I just decided to pull the raw water pump.

For anyone that is interested, it is 3 allen screws bolts to the crankshaft, and then it comes out.

Once it's out, you replace the impeller, and put it back together.

As an engineer, I would like to get a hold of the guy at mastercraft designed for engine to boat integration, and strangle him.

Classic boat engineering. Design it so it's easy to assemble at the factory, but without regard to accomplishing subsequent maintenance items. One would like to think that an expensive boat like MasterCraft would be designed smarter, but it ain't so.

bturner2
05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
New cars are the same. Pretty much nature of the beast

Jerseydave
05-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Mine is as tight as yours. With cover off, spray lubricant into housing. Bump engine over. lay down in port compartment. Grab lowest impeller fin with small vice grips. Shake while pulling. It will come out like butter. Just don't over tighten brass screw and snap it :(

^^this is exactly what I do, but I use angled needle nose pliers to pull the old impeller out.
Soak the old one with dish soap, and soak the new one also and it will slide right in.

ttu
05-18-2013, 09:00 AM
^^this is exactly what I do, but I use angled needle nose pliers to pull the old impeller out.
Soak the old one with dish soap, and soak the new one also and it will slide right in.

ditto! except I just spray a little wd40 and bump the starter with the lanyard off. pulls right out.

CantRepeat
05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
ditto! except I just spray a little wd40 and bump the starter with the lanyard off. pulls right out.

I would suggest changing to windex window cleaner. I think the seal in the back of the pump housing can be damage over time by petroleum based products. The windex is just as slippery as the wd. I also use the windex to install the new one.

Rossterman
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Think Johnson recommends using glycerine as wont degrade the rubber like wd40 and other petroleum based products and what is provided in some of the kits. You can also use KY jelly or astroglide but thats another post altogether :) Imagine if its going back in the water right away most anything would be OK. Mine was 3~4 weeks away so went to right aid and ponied up the $6 for the piece of mind. Makes install A breeze as very slippery.

Thrall
05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Indyxc I hear ya. I thought the same thing when I got mine and actually removed the pump the first time too but you don't need to.
First make sure when you put the new one in to anti seize the splines, makes takin out much easier.
If you pull the port side engine divider you can get in there, use a little open end wrench to get a couple of the bolts out and the impeller will pry out pretty easy with a screw driver as long as you greased the splines good the last time.

snork
05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
I elected to remove the silent muffler baffle and left it out, boat sounds better as well :D

Indyxc
05-18-2013, 06:37 PM
What is hard to believe is mastercraft put a lot of thought into a lot of things, but certainly not this.

And the solution isn't hard. They could of easily moved the muffler up 2 inches, where there is plenty of room, and it is a done deal.

Thrall- I tried to pry it out. Tried with my impeller puller, screw drivers from the water hose sdides, every which way. In the end it wouldn't budget. To top it all off the impeller in there was brand new.

Sadly I didn't lube the spline before I put the new impeller in, so I'll be in the fun boat again someday.

snork
05-18-2013, 08:59 PM
tap,tap, tap the center of the impeller, spray some lube in the pump, turn over engine a second while safety lanyard is removed then use two #1 Phillips screw drivers opposite from each other in the housing and begin to pry it out, should come out in short time