PDA

View Full Version : 01 mastercrafrt craft on Craigslist

dmev13
05-17-2013, 07:26 PM
After going to look at the 02 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS V drive and deciding not to buy it my search continues!!! I recently found this on craigslist and would just like to get some opinions on the boat and price? Thanks in advance!

http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/3781183353.html

Cloaked
05-17-2013, 08:32 PM
With their reference to the 'flush kit installed' I'd inquire about saltwater / brackish use (CT a coastal state)....My personal preference, I'd not consider buying saltwater use.

Value of anything is what someone else is willing to pay.

gweaver
05-18-2013, 01:54 AM
A quick map search shows Stonington right on the Atlantic- town is bordered on 3 sides by salt water. That, and the yellow boat in the background of the first pic appears to be big water boat, I think it's safe to say it's been run in salt water. With the low hours on the motor (if it's legit), I don't think I'd be afraid of it, but I know how well I rinse my boat. If you can keep it out of salt water, I don't think it'd be too bad, but maybe saltwater use will be a good bargaining point for you.
G

dmev13
05-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm going to be using it on salt water myself. Living on Long Island I really have no choice. I plan on flushing and washing the boat after every use... No quite sure what else I can do being surrounded by salt water.

Jerseydave
05-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Even though you're going to use it in salt water, I'd look for a boat that never hit the salt yet.
You will be able to keep it in much better condition with your own MC OCD without wondering what the last owner did when he used it in salt water.

You may even try to find one that already has closed cooling, or at least add that on to a previous fresh water boat.

This boat has a basic galvanized trailer (not MC), stock hard tanks (not enough ballast) and some extra bilge pump in the starboard carpeted area?

BTW, my buddy has a red/white X-star just like it and rides somewhere near Jones Beach I think. Where do you ride?

dmev13
05-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I live in Port Jefferson which is on the north shore and further east of Jones Beach. I never owned a boat before or even tried waking boarding/skiing. I'm just looking for a beginners boat for around 20k!

CC2MC
05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I would also inquire about total hours on the boat. Unless they replaced the hour meter, it should be there. I concur with the suggestion to find one not previously in salt water. The exhaust risers rust enough with fresh water and I wonder if that was a reason for the replacement in the first place. Was the boat kept in a lift or inside when not in use? It appears that the upholstery in I. Decent shape but it is kind of hard to tell just how good in the pics. Good luck an let us know how it goes!

Bouyhead
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
95431I live in Port Jefferson which is on the north shore and further east of Jones Beach. I never owned a boat before or even tried waking boarding/skiing. I'm just looking for a beginners boat for around 20k!

20K is a nice chunk of change to drop on a first boat, lots of nice stuff in that price range. If you want a fresh water boat check northern NJ, CT,& the Albany area on Craigslist. Now for the shameless plug: if you want to spend less then half that then buy my boat. 88 TriStar, getting repowered with a remanufactured motor from First Mate Marine. Comes with a transferable warranty, should be done in a couple of weeks. Interior is perfect, very clean unmolested boat.I also have a 99 Response with 220 hours I might be letting go. PM me if you want to see the boats, I'm in Elmont.

dmev13
05-25-2013, 04:22 PM
The boat ended up being sold before I had a chance to go look at it. Guess it wasn't meant to be!

Bouyhead PM has been sent

Cloaked
05-25-2013, 08:41 PM
The boat ended up being sold before I had a chance to go look at it. Guess it wasn't meant to be!
A blessing in disguise... You lucked out....