PDA

View Full Version : The "Tragic" death of our tube

ski/hunt
05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
It's a sad day in our boating world.... The beloved tube is dead. I figure its an unrepairable split on the seam. After so many hours of pure bliss enjoyed by the masses! I hardly have the heart to break the news to my young ones!! The HARD part will be "Trying" to HIDE my JOY!!! How does one keep the "sad face" when inside all I want to do is "dance the happy dance"??!?!? Such a bummer when the season is just starting!! I guess it's going to be just skiing and kneeboarding this summer.... And when I said this moments ago in the garage I swear the Prostar said "Thank you Lord"!!!
Now it's time to man up and break the news to the kids....:)

pmkkdx
05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
awe!!! poor thing! maybe you should give it a proper burial at sea :rolleyes:

east tx skier
05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37758069.jpg

BrooksfamX2
05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
You could always buy another............:rolleyes:

We have spent many, many hours having fun on tubes.............. :cool:

HRC
05-17-2013, 05:32 PM
If you have a wife like mine, she'll come home with another.

GoneBoatN
05-17-2013, 05:32 PM
You could always buy another............:rolleyes:

We have spent many, many hours having fun on tubes.............. :cool:

For me it is always fun watching the kids on the tube. I only get on one when my daughter has no one else to ride with.

ahhudgins
05-17-2013, 05:44 PM
If you have a wife like mine, she'll come home with another.

Exactly. Except my son was the one who got a new one. I didn't hide my joy when one of the tubes bit the dust.

neil.anderson63
05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
That cut looks a bit like someone cut it with a small pocket knife?... SABOTAGE!!!

JohnE
05-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't understand the tube disdain. Would you respect the tubers more if they were inside playing video games? I've had a hundred kids out who will never be there long enough to learn to board or ski or surf. Would I be better off telling them they can just sit there and watch? Or trying 25 times to get them up while 6 people suffer watching knowing it will never happen? Not directing it at OP....good reason to get them behind the boat doing other things.

bill-d-c
05-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Exactly John. I've always believed boats were made to have a good time in and make memories. If your thing is skiing, barefooting, wakeboarding or even tubing...who cares, as long as good safe fun is had by all. BUT, don't use the "T" word on this site, you'll be tared and feathered for it.
Bill

ski/hunt
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm in no way ANTI-tube... I do believe it has its place and time on the water. For instance, it has no place being used near a ski course, ripping figure 8's trying to create two foot swells to bounce tube and kids off of. I find it more appropriate to take advantage of mid-day after some hard skiing has been had and the water isn't ideal anyway. The other thing I will say about the tube is it has given my kids and many others, confidence to be behind the boat on big water (compared to swimming pool). Which has led to trying other forms of water fun--skiing--kneeboarding etc...
It was one of the first things we bought when getting into to boating, and some great memories have been had...I will say though--we TRY to make it SAFE as well as fun. I have a cousin who's son and girlfriend were both hurt very bad while ridding double on one. He put his teeth through his lower lip into her head--both requiring er visits and him some extra visits to fix lip. But they are rough teens and my cousin is known to drive them "hard" to say the least---(I'd never let him pull my kids). Point is, all water sports have an element of danger and we try to minimize potential injury as much as is possible. (Without being lame).

So the news of the tube was taken considerably well.......Cause, as some in responses above have stated,-my kids know they will get another one soon from mom or dad(since I have son and daughter they will take turns "working" both the wife and myself) I just wish I could fix this one somehow--it's only two seasons old!!! And the things aren't cheap when one is trying to save up the money to do new skins and carpet....

bill-d-c
05-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah, tubes don't seem to last much longer that 2-3 seasons (depending on use). In my 30 plus years of boat ownership (8 MC boats), I've tries about everything from skiing, barefooting, air chairs, kneeboarding, etc. Now I'm more of a designated boat driver than anything but probably enjoying the boat more now than ever. My daughter and her friends tube...man do they tube. I get to laughing at them so hard I have turn the driving over to the wife. These kids are having great fun and will remember these days for a long time. That to me is what boating is about. I agree, common sense tells you to be courteous to other boaters and to put some distance between you and someone who is running a course (you can tube anywhere). Glad to hear you're replacing the thing, your kids will thank you for it years down the line.
Bill

HRC
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Agree with the proper time and place statement. When we go to the lake, there is almost always another couple or 2 with us. This adds up to 6 boys between 12-15 that love tubing. The tubes don't get brought out until mid day when the water is rough anyway. 1 of the couples will go out around 6:30-7:00 to ski and wakeboard, then come back eat breakfast and gear up for the rest of the day.

tex
05-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I can "fix" a kid's love of tubing really fast! I work real cheap too!

east tx skier
05-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Where we ski, tubes are not a reasonable option. On our lake, my problem with tubes is that there is nothing resembling a control surface on them (feet don't count). There is still a cross on one of the channel markers where a dad pulling his daughter on a tube got too close swinging her around (nobody likes to pull tubes straight). She couldn't control the tube, hit the channel marker, and died on the scene.

That is the basis for one of my issues with them. YMMV.

bill-d-c
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Common sense goes along way in life, on and off the water. A guy I used to live with used to barefoot ski alot. He and another friend went to a private lake one Sunday to make some runs. Lake was long and narrow (perfect for long line runs) and had 2 fishing dock about halfway down on both sides. My roomate was backwards barefooting outside the wake on the left side of the boat, long line, and the driver ran him into one of the fishing docks. He was watching the skier, skier was facing backwards, neither seen it coming. Bob's never been the same, reconstruction surgerys, huge medical bills, etc. Point being, any water sport (including just swimming), can be dangerous if common sense was left at the dock.
Bill

Scottman
05-21-2013, 12:57 AM
No doubt pulling tube(s) is one of the most stressful parts of owning/driving a boat. I'll never let anybody but myself pull tubers on mine. I had a few close calls as a kid and take it very seriously. But man...do people and especially kids love them which is what it's all about.

I'm lucky that I boat on an un-crowded area of the Ohio River so I have plenty of space. Don't think I'd bother bringing them out on a crowded lake...not enough eyes to see what's going on, although a lot of you have no choice.

onewheat
05-21-2013, 02:13 AM
I love to drag double tubes in big S-turns through the course and see if I can swing them through the buoys. The locals always seem to love it - tell me I'm #1 all the time! :D

SSMoose
05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I love to drag double tubes in big S-turns through the course and see if I can swing them through the buoys. The locals always seem to love it - tell me I'm #1 all the time! :D

I don't doubt that! Our tube goes in the water during the midday hours when the water is already bad, so no big deal there. The only place to go with it is in wide water area so that there is the fun factor without lots of danger to boat, tube or riders.

Bouyhead
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi, my name is Mike, and I tube.

Hogwild
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a single man towable here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53213

/Shameless plug

ski/hunt
05-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Used the patch kit that came with the tube just for the satisfaction of my tubing crew----It lasted just long enough for the girls. As the boys got going I could see it was hopeless:) kept towing until one let go---might have been some of the best laughs I've had dragging a tube....

mikeg205
05-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Almost looks like someone took a blade to it.. ;)

onewheat
05-29-2013, 02:12 AM
This weekend was completely blown out - not to mention holiday weekend traffic. The kids told me they had the best time they have ever had tubing - behind the new X-25, because they got so much air every time they crossed the wake - and that wasn't dragging them all that hard. It was all in the swing and the momentum. I will have to admit - they kept me smiling and laughing.

mikeg205
05-29-2013, 07:23 AM
lol... looks great!

SKIBUMM
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
I love to see the people having fun on the tube as well. My kids however know my rule and it has paid off. My girls know that before they board or tube that they have to ski. They now ski and board (wake Skate) more than they tube. They are seeing the ability to get better in those sports and enjoy hitting the slalom course now. We still tube and would do more if it were not for the amount of space the dang thing takes up.

LaRue
05-29-2013, 10:51 AM
many great memories from the 'lesser than' sport of tubing

ahhudgins
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I love to see the people having fun on the tube as well. My kids however know my rule and it has paid off. My girls know that before they board or tube that they have to ski. They now ski and board (wake Skate) more than they tube. They are seeing the ability to get better in those sports and enjoy hitting the slalom course now. We still tube and would do more if it were not for the amount of space the dang thing takes up.

Same rule applies in my boat. Most of my kidsí friends would much rather ski or board so there isnít much of an issue. The only problem I have now is my 10-year-old niece and nephew. As Tex stated, I could easily break them of their love for the tube, but my sister in-law would chew me out if I made them cry.:D

2RLAKE
05-31-2013, 03:40 AM
This weekend was completely blown out - not to mention holiday weekend traffic. The kids told me they had the best time they have ever had tubing - behind the new X-25, because they got so much air every time they crossed the wake - and that wasn't dragging them all that hard. It was all in the swing and the momentum. I will have to admit - they kept me smiling and laughing.

Great pictures ... Yes Georgia wanted to get our tube out as the water was fairly crappy

Not a personal fan of tubes but they are loads of fun for the afternoon

See you on the weekend of the 8th

chriscraftmatt1976
05-31-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm not a giant fan of tubing, but when i was about junior high age, my brother would pull me and my buddy through double ups on a pair of waterbug tubes, and we could launch about 6-12 feet in the air, do barrel rolls, and it was actually very athletic. it'd probably kill me now!

East Tx skiers story is a sad one though. The most important factor in tubing is the driver, as it is in any water sport in my opinion. good driving keeps everyone safe, period. I spent about 20 minutes 2 summers ago frantically diving to try and find the body of one of my best friends who hit a rogue double up in his ski nautique at full throttle, threw everyone out of his boat, and the boat circled around and hit him. we didn't find him that day. He died in a tragic accident that could have been avoided with a little less throttle on a busy day, and he could handle an inboard as well as anybody i've ever known. he grew up on them and was a hell of a skier as well.

Being in charge of a boat means you're responsible for the life of everyone aboard.

Drive carefully people.

FoggyNogginz
06-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Woo Hoo!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=1059&pictureid=6503

shepherd
06-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Purists may say it's not a real "sport," but anything that puts smiles on people's faces like that certainly seems worth doing.

FoggyNogginz
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I always tell the riders that I offer three levels of tubing:

Level 1. Casual stroll in the park, with the occasional bump to make sure that you're paying attention
Level 2. Slightly competitive where you work for your tube time, but it's still a fun and longer ride
Level 3. Where you're thinking, "I'll bet that idiot driver can't throw me off the tube."

Not many people in the know have ever selected option three, altough my daughter occaisionally asks for a 2.25 or a 2.3 just to show off. :smile:

bill-d-c
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Purists may say it's not a real "sport," but anything that puts smiles on people's faces like that certainly seems worth doing.

I couldn't agree more. The purpose is to have fun, whatever "sport" you choose is your business and no one else's.
Bill

Wakerider16
06-30-2014, 03:42 PM

1. Casual stroll in the park, with the occasional bump to make sure that you're paying attention
2. Slightly competitive where you work for your tube time, but it's still a fun and longer ride
3. Where you're thinking, "I'll bet that idiot driver can't throw me off the tube."

Not many people in the know have ever selected option three, altough my daughter occaisionally asks for a 2.25 or a 2.3 just to show off. :smile:

Thats a shame... If you were closer I would take you up on that #3 :D

Growing up as a kid my dad would play "How quickly can I throw you out of the tube"

FoggyNogginz
06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Wakerider16 - I've certainly had to swim back for a few pairs of shorts myself!! My dad and brother played a similar game, but we only had an 85 Evinrude on a 16 foot Thundercraft. The stakes are a "little" higher with my 5.7 Ilmor! ;)

georgea0731
06-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Hey, most tube ropes are only 60 ft. I'm wondering if there's a better length. I believe the 60 ft. rope drops and drags in the wake a lot. I don't seem to get much swing either.

I've added part of an old ski rope and got out to 75 ft and it seems to work better.

Any thoughts?

FoggyNogginz
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Mine tube rope is only 60 feet long, but I also downsized from a four person tube to a two person because of the excessive drag that the larger tube created. In theory, the larger tube sounded fun...but the speed required for a good "glide" was much harder to create. We generally tow from the tower as well to create lift, and the additional drag of the huge tubes had me a little nervous.

You might also consider using a booster ball to prevent rope drag if you're towing from the transom:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=SportsStuff-Booster-Ball&i=14181

Tony Webb
06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
We let the kids tube, it's great for when there friends come and have not done it before.
I have to admit that we keep away from other boats, and they are all young and I would not want to scare them away from BOATING in general, as I love the time we spend as a family.......
My only rule is that I will not buy them a "WAKEBOARD " until they an do a deep water start on there slalom ski.......

Double D
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Level 1. Casual stroll in the park, with the occasional bump to make sure that you're paying attention
Level 2. Slightly competitive where you work for your tube time, but it's still a fun and longer ride
Level 3. Where you're thinking, "I'll bet that idiot driver can't throw me off the tube."

I usually run Level 2 but when the get cocky and start talking crap, they get Level 3 and then know better.

Blmeanie
06-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Adult males should be rule #3, why do it if not 3? Wives, kids, bosses etc should be 1 or 2

cwarndahl
06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
I think another rule is the tube doesn't come out till after everyone has done a run on what ever hard board they like. i can't count the hours of kids and friends who have had a good time. but if tubing is what i think they are gonna do they get the noon invite time. if your into any board or ski sport i will see you at 7 or 8 am! BTW the girls son wouldn't put the effort into wake boarding so my tube got a weird cut that was a little to straight and repaired with that kit, oh bummer it broke on the lake, sorry we can't go buy one, so you can sit there why we all wakeboard and surf. funny thing is he got up on the first try

Kyle
07-01-2014, 01:13 AM
I usually run Level 2 but when the get cocky and start talking crap, they get Level 3 and then know better.

I normally give the 2.5 all of the time. Pull everyone to the point that they are about to flip but ease back and save them before they toumble.

Now if I get the guest that goes on and on how great of a boater they are and how they want to give driving lessons, then wakeboard lessons, then wants to tell me I can't knock them off the tube..... Well they get level 2.95. That is when you whip them up to the boat about even with the driver window, make a 85-90* right turn and fly past them about 5-8' off the tube (close enough the chine spray splashes them and they have eyes the size of baseballs) and 60' of slack quickly does the whole yank the table cloth trick. Do this about 25-30 mph and it is flat out amazing how the rider voluntarily gets off before the slack is taken out rapidly or they brace themselves and the tube gets ripped out from under them. The trick is to never drive all the way around the tube, with the slack and someone bailing off. You don't want them jumping into the rope and looping it on them. So turn right and pass them. They will bail out the back and you will start drifting left taking out slack away from the rider. Always be mindful of the rider and rope.

I have yet to have a rider be able to perform the around the boat trick on the tube. I guess the fear of taking a troumble is greater. I wouldn't know "wink wink". I just don't see the level 3 put someone on the whip until they take a crash. I genuinely don't want anyone hurt and that is a great way of hurting someone.

mitchelmilitiapres
07-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Our family's motto was "you'll never beat the boat driver." Several bumps and bruises were corageously earned in failed attempts. :)

JohnE
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Wakerider16 - I've certainly had to swim back for a few pairs of shorts myself!! My dad and brother played a similar game, but we only had an 85 Evinrude on a 16 foot Thundercraft. The stakes are a "little" higher with my 5.7 Ilmor! ;)

Had the same setup growing up. 90 HP Johnson on a 16' Thundercraft. It was perfect. Enough power to have fun, not enough to hurt anyone. That was almost 30 years ago.

GoneBoatN
07-01-2014, 04:29 PM

One time my son lost his shorts and while climbing back onto the tube said "I bet you can't do that again". Wrong thing to say. Within 30 seconds he was swimming for his shorts again. :D

drschemel
07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Tubing is the best way to unload a crowded boat so your wife can stretch out and enjoy the ride for a bit!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=802&pictureid=5668

Wakerider16
07-07-2014, 12:29 PM

19 ft Grady white with a 150 Johnson on the back. Fun times. Got thrown through a couple of the marshes at high tide because i was doing trash talking :P

As for this weekend we did the tube death matches as everything was blown out (about 20mph and white caps on the lake).

Had a blast with our friends. Got pretty intense when me and a buddy were on the tubes and next thing I know he jumped off his tube and started trying to yank me off. In the end I flipped the tube and we called that one a draw :)

prostar205er
07-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Buy your next tube at Costco. That way when it fails you can simply take it back. A tube failing is never a question of "if" but "when"...

--Membership has its privileges. ;)

pmkkdx
07-07-2014, 02:58 PM
costco will take a blown tube back or exchange?

02ProstarSammyD
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Costco is like walmart. They will take back anything