PDA

View Full Version : need advice......again

milkmania
09-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Time for the Old Washer & Dryer to be replaced.

I know from experience that everyone on this board wants Quality and Value for their dollar.....they own MC's don't they:confused:

anyway, our dryer is running a while then shutting down...all lint areas have been thoroughly cleaned and inspected.

both the dryer & washer are approx. 10 years old....Sears Kenmore 90 Series (electric)

I know I could probably just get this one fixed, but after a year or two, the porcelain inside the tub stated flaking, not bad, just a few spots.

Washer/dryer technology has changed SO MUCH in the last 10 years, I don't know where to start.
Neptunes are nice, pricey, but nice.
The low water models are nice, but not a major consideration.

A couple of high/low washer/dryer combos sure would be nice..... (Mr Mom speaking here)

Any ideas?
Or is it the woman's thing at your home?

tones03
09-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Maytag front end loaders are the best I have seen and made in the USA. they hold a lot of cloths, something like 12 pairs of jeans, dont quote me on that, but a lot, biggest out there and we have them and have had no problems, 3 years old.

X2M
09-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a Maytag washer and dryer. Nothing to fancy. Purchased from Lowe's 2 years ago. (I think those are nation-wide) Like you I had a Kenmore set from Sears that we bought before the kids. So we needed a set that would actually dry the clothes and be big enough for a family of four. And this set is big enough to wash comforters with room for more. I have been very happy with them and so has my PG&E bill. :)

G-man
09-29-2005, 12:13 PM
From getting service on a three year old dryer once a year since the day we bought it I will not buy from Sears or Whirlpool. Whirlpool mfgs for Sears. Turns out the dryer has a small circuit board that only last a year.The least amount of gadgets and the equipment seems to last longer. I am so glad it was not approved by the stock holders of Maytag to let Whirlpool buy them or they would end up crappy also. Sears was contacted about this recuring problem. They are aware of it but the consumer still pays. My previous refrig a Kenmore also had an icemaker that required service every 1 1/2 years. Turns out the icemaker in that unit was used for a short amount of time and they quit using it and went back to their 25 year old design. I don't buy Kenmore crap anymore. I have learned how to repair the icemaker and the dryer myself.

east tx skier
09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
I've had a GE washer/dryer for the last 4 years with no troubles (knock wood). Our repair guy, while out on an unrelated call advised that when purchasing washer/dryers, buy something basic. He said that a vast majority of his calls is to come out and fix the fancy, computerized w/d units. He said, for his money, he'd buy one level above dirt cheap, which happened to be what I bought when I didn't have a whole lot of cash to put into my w/d.

RickDV
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I own a number of rental houses and have bought a few washers and dryers. Seems it doesn't matter much how much you spend. They all seem to wear out after the same amount of time.

I tend to be very utilitarian with appliances, lawn mowers, etc. Not very interested in spending more for the extras on appliances. I'd rather put my money into something that adds pleasure to my life (like my MC).

My 2 cents: Get the most basic unit that has the features you will really use. For us that amounts to extra large capacity. Beyond that, they all have the basic features I need.

Be sure that the capacity of the dryer is at least as much as the washer. It would be a pain to run a large load in the washer and not be able to fit it all in the dryer.

Good luck.

milkmania
09-29-2005, 12:53 PM
good advise every, and thanks

one of my only real requirements is capacity
I've gotten used to the gadgety stuff on this pair, and see that we don't use them!

I own quite a bit of GE stock, wonder if that'll make a difference??? lol

I think I would like to try some of the GE line this time.

When we bought the old set, my wife was the major player with them, now that I've become disabled, I am the major player....can I get a hoorah?

thanks again guys

who needs a home when we've got you guys?
think about it...

divorces
marriages
births
deaths
boats
cars
trucks
swimsuits
lawnmowers
swimsuits
4 wheelers
swimsuits
bar-b-que sauce
floods
swimsuits
snowmobile thingys
dogs
motorcycles
electrical advice
mechanical advice
marine advice
mag-mania
calendars
The "List"

look at this overall.......it's all covered in our little community:twocents:
why wouldn't a person come on here and ask everyday life questions:confused:

you guys open your homes and your hearts to people on this board that you've never met!

did I mention....
swimsuits:popcorn:

Dan K
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
And don't forget...swimsuits !

lakes Rick
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Neptune Washers by Maytag..

I purchased one of the first Neptune models of washers made.. What a nightmare... Makes Clark Howards comment of "more cost does not always equal more value or a better Product...

You would think a $1000 Washer in 97 would be the trickest best working longest lasting thing going?? WRONG... After $800 in repairs ( on things like new circuit boards, Wax locking door motor failure, and another circuit board failure) there was a class action suit against Maytag.. I got $29 bucks out of the suit.. Guess who got Millions?? Eastie, bet you know??.....

Best comment came from the Repair guy.. The one driving the new Mercedes ( thanks to the Neptune series of Maytag) about ( and I quote) the "camel jockey" assembly guy who is "color blind" who crossed the red and green wires on a million washers so they didn't spin cycle correctly!!!!!!!!

In all fairness, I understand the newer models are better... I tried to replace mine a while back with something "simple".. No computer chips, no circuit boards, just a couple of buttons and none of the gimmicks... GUESS WHAT??? NO SUCH THING..... Darn things are more complicated than this dumb *** computer I type on???

parks_jr_55
09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
We just switched from the Maytag Front loaders to the Bosch.

The Maytags were running very odd.

east tx skier
09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
I got $29 bucks out of the suit.. Guess who got Millions?? Eastie, bet you know??.....

I got no idea. :confused:

/rolls over and falls asleep on a big pile of money. :dance:

Leroy
09-29-2005, 06:36 PM
We also have the neptune washer and dryer since '99 and love them, but also part of the class action lawsuit. We have a $500 credit for a new maytag washer. What's that saying, fool me once shame on you......

Best washer we had was the Siemens we had in Belgium, but they were small and took like two hours for a wash cycle and used like a quart of cold water. Clothes came out great though.

bcampbe7
09-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for posting this thread Milk.
Got in from mowing the lawn and my wife said that our Amana dryer finally died. It is 12 years old, so I can't complain. Will be looking at a Maytag as a replacement.

SteveO
09-29-2005, 08:36 PM
good advise every, and thanks

who needs a home when we've got you guys?
think about it...

divorces
marriages
births
deaths
boats
cars
trucks
swimsuits
lawnmowers
swimsuits
4 wheelers
swimsuits
bar-b-que sauce
floods
swimsuits
snowmobile thingys
dogs
motorcycles
electrical advice
mechanical advice
marine advice
mag-mania
calendars
The "List"

look at this overall.......it's all covered in our little community:twocents:
why wouldn't a person come on here and ask everyday life questions:confused:

you guys open your homes and your hearts to people on this board that you've never met!

did I mention....
swimsuits:popcorn:

LOL this is better than a soap opera :D

Mag_Red
09-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Just to add my :twocents: My first washer and dryer were from Sears...............lasted over 20 years! :eek: My newest one is also From Sears but this time went with a front load washer due to their efficiency. The two units cost under a $1,000. Sort of the entry level front loader

bcampbe7
09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Just to add my :twocents: My first washer and dryer were from Sears...............lasted over 20 years! :eek: My newest one is also From Sears but this time went with a front load washer due to their efficiency. The two units cost under a $1,000. Sort of the entry level front loader

Mag-
My wife just informed me that Sears is having a sale Saturday. may be checking them out. I hate our Sears here though. It's one of those locally owned places that only sells a few things. They do sell washers and dryers though.

jj209
09-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I live in IA where Maytag is located & own Maytag Neptunes. Needless to say I am not impressed. Maytag was just sold to Whirlpool and the talk from former employees is the company has been w/o QA people for approx. 3 yrs. I recommend looking elsewhere. Have owned Amana, Kenmore & Maytag and none have been outstanding. Friend just bought the new LG models and is very happy. Would check these out as well as the previously mentioned Bosch ( have a dishwasher, love it). Good luck.

ski_king
09-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I have 18 year old Maytags that have only had minor service by me.

I found a puddle of grease under the washer gearbox which is sealed 2 years ago and figured the washer was on last leg and started looking for a replacement. Here I am 2 years later and it is still working.

Was thinking of another Maytag or a Bosch, but after reading jj209's comments, I am not so sure about the Maytag.

bcampbe7
09-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I live in IA where Maytag is located & own Maytag Neptunes. Needless to say I am not impressed. Maytag was just sold to Whirlpool and the talk from former employees is the company has been w/o QA people for approx. 3 yrs. I recommend looking elsewhere. Have owned Amana, Kenmore & Maytag and none have been outstanding. Friend just bought the new LG models and is very happy. Would check these out as well as the previously mentioned Bosch ( have a dishwasher, love it). Good luck.

My Dad worked for Amana for 25 years. He built prototype home and commercial AC units. I think Maytag/Whilrpool owns Amana now.(ICBW)

Have you seen the new Maytag wharehouse in North Liberty? :eek:

My family still lives in that area.

Leroy
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
There has to be some people in the Maytag Neptune group ready to jump off the clift. Great marketing, actually a great washer/dryer, except for these problems....

Ryan
09-30-2005, 12:05 AM
WOW! I am amazed at how enthusiastic everyone is about appliances. But, they ain't the cheapest things in the world!

We just bought new GE Profile units on Tues. Regular top loading washer with agitator, and gas dryer. Both have stainless steal drums and the dryer has a rack for drying your shoes. We pick them up on Sat. I highly recomend SS especially since you too had the fun of porcelain coming off. I'd consider it a small enough step up from the low end for a great value/$.

I felt like a sucker paying the $5 for a month of online Consumer Reports access - but, they can't say enough bad stuff about the likes of Neptune. I wash ready to go that route and am glad I didn't after reading and now hearing confrimation from you guys.

milkmania
09-30-2005, 12:19 AM
looks like the LG front loaders spin at 1100 rpm for more water extraction....therefore less drying time
hmmmm:confused:

I would like to see a single washer and double stacked dryer....since it seems like the washing is the least time consuming

Leroy
09-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Consumer reports rocks! They are always on! However our Neptune continues to do ~3 loads a day as it has for the past 6 years trouble free, but I think it must be due to massive failure soon, why else would they send voucher for $500 for another washer?

I felt like a sucker paying the $5 for a month of online Consumer Reports access - but, they can't say enough bad stuff about the likes of Neptune. I wash ready to go that route and am glad I didn't after reading and now hearing confrimation from you guys.

Ryan
09-30-2005, 01:00 AM
... I wash ready to go that route ....
Um, I meant 'was' Guess what was on my mind.

You know, I've never quoted myself before. :D

milkmania
09-30-2005, 01:11 AM
We just bought new GE Profile units on Tues. Regular top loading washer with agitator, and gas dryer. Both have stainless steal drums and the dryer has a rack for drying your shoes. We pick them up on Sat. I highly recomend SS especially since you too had the fun of porcelain coming off. I'd consider it a small enough step up from the low end for a great value/$.

I've been looking hard at those from HomeDepot...
I agree regarding stainless... being in the milk industry I've learned the benefits of Stainless Steel and it's difficult to use anything otherwise.

I went with porcelain on the old set because I grew up with it when I was a kid and never saw chipping before.

another thing that is weighing my decision toward the GE Profile Series is the HomeDepot's website is very user friendly narrowing down what I am looking for while Sears/Kenmore's sites are crapping out on me.

looks like each GE items is coming in around $459.00 for the washer to $559.00 for the dryer or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Ryan, did you use Home Depot or equivalent?
just wonder now if they're gonna have what I'm looking for in stock, since we're going on a Saturday.

Ryan
09-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's my story.
There is a store here that sells the furniture and appliances from model homes. We bought ours there, brand new, never used with all brochures, hoses and plugs for almost half price.

I have learned Home Depot and Costco don't keep very many in stock. Usually having one unit, not both; or electric when I want gas; leaving you to wait until the right setup comes in or pay for delivery and order online.

I was shopping Craigslist there are a high number of appliances less than a year old, mainly from high turn over of renters. Unlike other parts of the country, you have to buy and move your own fridge and washer and dryer when you rent here. But after looking I wanted new and more quiet units.

WTRSK1R
09-30-2005, 09:27 PM
We have had a GE front load washer and dryer for a little over 5 years, and they are still doing great. Hopefully I have not just cursed myself by saying that. Anyway, I think the front load works great, and I do not think I would ever go back to a top loader.

Steve

lakes Rick
09-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I got no idea. :confused:

/rolls over and falls asleep on a big pile of money. :dance:

THE LAWYERS...... come on Eastie, that was an easy one...

jj209
10-03-2005, 10:09 AM
My Dad worked for Amana for 25 years. He built prototype home and commercial AC units. I think Maytag/Whilrpool owns Amana now.(ICBW)

Have you seen the new Maytag wharehouse in North Liberty?

My family still lives in that area.

You are correct Maytag purchased Amana approx 2-3 yrs ago. Now Whirlpool is in the process of purchasing Maytag.

I go right by the North Liberty warehouse every time I go to Coralville.

Many in IA are scared Whirlpool will be moving the Maytag plants out of IA, therfore former employees are talking about the lack of quality over the past several yrs. That is the reason for my comments. They are coming straight from Maytag employees, not hearsay.