PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

LTWon
05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
I reached out on this ad to see the boat and take it for a drive if it looks good. What areas of concern should i be looking at when i view the boat? I do not believe its a 81 as the windshield glass is not curved so i am hoping for it to be a all composite boat. What price do you think is fair?
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/3794638740.html

aquaman
05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Take a test drive.....then you will know.

SSMoose
05-15-2013, 09:46 AM
What does the dash look like. That is a telltale as pre 83 models have a different configuration.

mzimme
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I reached out on this ad to see the boat and take it for a drive if it looks good. What areas of concern should i be looking at when i view the boat? I do not believe its a 81 as the windshield glass is not curved so i am hoping for it to be a all composite boat. What price do you think is fair?
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/3794638740.html

Composite didn't start until 83 1/2, fyi.

LTWon
05-15-2013, 10:13 AM
What does the dash look like. That is a telltale as pre 83 models have a different configuration.

I am not sure exactly, I have left a message along with e-mailed for some additional pictures as I live a good 3.5 hours away. Hopefully i can get some more pics to post. This will be my first boat ever and i haven't skied or done any water activities for nearly 20 years when my family sold the cottage and boat.

Composite didn't start until 83 1/2, fyi.

Yup that is correct! I have read the sticky on the history of MC which is leading me to hope a pray this is a composite boat! I am just hoping for it since i dont see a reason this would be a 81 unless the glass was changed. Which is a possibility.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
The engine is most likely a 351W (Windsor) not a Cleveland. Everyone wants a Cleveland, but as far as I know, they were never marinized. That is not to say that MC never put one in, but it would have been a really special order.

tph
05-15-2013, 10:22 AM

The dash looks "old style" in the second picture. And, the mirror looks to be the older style as well. But, the engine compartment is the place to look. The motor mounting rails in a late model '83 are very different than the wood stringer configuration.

liledgy
05-15-2013, 01:21 PM
It looks to be a deluxe. I don't believe the contoured engine cover came out till 82. It does look similar to the older dash, but it looks like it has additianal blocking behind the speedos. Pretty sure that's not a 82 or newer.

ski_king
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
I am thinking it is a 81 LTD. That had the older (non pod style) dash, but had the square windshield.

LTWon
05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
I am glad i consulted you guys. I am still waiting on a e-mail or call back. Hopefully i get one tonight. If i can get any pictures i will post, but if I am not sure how i feel about wooden stringers. I can do powertrain work but i am not too enthused about structural issues that might arise from wood.

bturner2
05-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Stringers/floors would be my main concern if they're wood. They can certainly be replaced but it's not a job for the faint of heart. If I were looking at it and the floor were the least bit soft I'd walk.

madcityskier
05-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Looks like blue gel with metalflake? If so 81 sound about right. Try loosening motor mounts 1/2 turn and retighten. Should tighten up without slippage/play.

chriscraftmatt1976
05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
this guy posted some new pics on a new ad on the same cl, and to me the boat looks beat. it looks in the pics as though it's had a stringer replacement, and shoddily done in my opinion. (i've done a few myself)