PDA

View Full Version : starting inconsistancy

1988prostar190
05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Sometimes when my engine turns over it is very strong and quick to start but 2 minutes later it will hardly crank over like a dead battery, then the next time it will be strong. Why might it jump around like this?
Thanks

EricB
05-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Next time it acts up, disable the ignition by pulling the coil wire out of the distributor cap and grounding it. Then try and crank again. If it now cranks O.K., then your issue is ignition or timing related. If you have converted it to electronic ignition, it could be the module. It could also be the timing chain. How many hours?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-13-2013, 11:17 PM
High resistance in the battery cables, Worse when warm, my best guess without more info.

88 PS190
05-14-2013, 12:03 AM
sometimes starters on the outs will do this, a full rebuild is usually about 100 bucks, although depending on how yours is equipped you may prefer to replace the starter.

For the few bolts it takes to pull - I just brought mine to the rebuilder for a tune up.

Cables in these boats are pretty beefy - but do run in the bilge.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-14-2013, 12:28 AM
High resistance in the battery cables, Worse when warm, my best guess without more info.

Probably the right call, but I would clean all battery connections first, including the ground at the block. Always start with the basics.

EricB
05-14-2013, 09:41 AM
If you do Voltage drop tests on the feed and ground sides of the starter, you will know for sure if the issue is electrical. If you check the starter draw amps this will also indicate excessive current and indicate a starter.
If these tests are not familiar to you, google search them and you will find alot of information on these tests. They are simple and relatively inexpensive to do, but do require basic knowledge of DC electricity. These tests are also way less expensive to do than replacing parts (which may/may not fix the problem).

catamount
05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
I just picked up an Arco 70200 gear reduction starter for $124 from marinepartsource.com. Your starter spent 25 years in a harsh, wet enviornment. Might be worth throwing a new one in your boat?

I would not rebuild the original starter for $100 if you can pick up this upgrade for an additional $25.

The Arco gets amazing reviews on here for very quick starts.

MikeyOrange88
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
X2 on Arco replacement starter. Just did mine a couple of months ago to resolve a 'slow crank when hot' issue.:)