PDA

View Full Version : Trouble draining oil. '99 205v

dvsone79
05-13-2013, 01:53 PM
I can't seem to get more than a slow, brief trickle from the oil drain hose on my boat. I warmed up the engine for about 10 minutes, then stuck the hose out the plug hole in the transom, unscrewed the cap, and a very slow trickle came out for about 10 seconds, then nothing. Checked for kinks in the hose, and opened up the oil cap, still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I thought it would be a pretty straightforward process...

Jerseydave
05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I drain mine this way, but I let it drain overnight because it does go slow.
Your other option is to buy a Mityvac evacuator and suck the oil out of the drain hose with it. (Everyone should own one of these anyway....very useful)

zsqure
05-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Expressed the same thing to my dealer and they told me they leave them drain overnight because it is so slow. No clue how long it takes to warm the oil up. Half tempted to change the oil at the load ramp when it is hot from a couple hours hard running.

carlsonwa
05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Expressed the same thing to my dealer and they told me they leave them drain overnight because it is so slow. No clue how long it takes to warm the oil up. Half tempted to change the oil at the load ramp when it is hot from a couple hours hard running.

That's not a bad idea, it will take a while idling for the oil to warm up. A good 20 mins is what I give it when warming it up in the driveway.

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2013, 02:36 PM
run the engine for 30 minutes, it will pour out fast

etduc
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Draining the oil, via drain hose, will never be as fast as removing the drain plug from say the engine in your car. The hose fitting, screws inside the oil pan fitting, therefore smaller inside diameter. In theory, older boats could have sludge buildup, reducing diameter more.

So, you can't increase the drain rate (much) by gravity/slope...just takes time.

Years ago, my dad's boat mechanic (i/o), would remove the drain plug... and let drain into the bilge and then out the boat drain! We had to soak the drain plug, in dish soap, so it would not pop-out of the hull!

chriscraftmatt1976
05-13-2013, 02:59 PM
run the engine for 30 minutes, it will pour out fast

He's correct, always change the oil with the boat warm and it will pour right out. I do have one of those sucker pumps, too, and they are nice. with the combination of the pump and a warm boat, I can change my oil in 10 minutes.

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
He's correct, always change the oil with the boat warm and it will pour right out. I do have one of those sucker pumps, too, and they are nice. with the combination of the pump and a warm boat, I can change my oil in 10 minutes.

what i do is go out and ski/boat... go back to stall and start drain... leave it draining. when i go back out, i swap oil filters, plug it up and fill with 5.5 to 6.

JRW160
05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
It's a little different with a v-drive. Even when warm, the oil doesn't pour out.

The first time I changed mine, I let it drain for 6 hours or so. I use a mityvac now.

Rossterman
05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Had this same issue- even after warmed up. Bought a 7$ harbor freight hand pump and had it emptied in 5mins.

mikeg205
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
I put my drain hose thru the plug - after a day of boating... take the end nut off put it over the catch pan and come back the next day and refill... :)

76S&S
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I just let it drain overnight, then change the filter and refill in the morning.

It's usually easier to change the filter and fill the oil in the mornings, as I usually don't have a beer in one hand.

ski_king
05-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I put my drain hose thru the plug - after a day of boating... take the end nut off put it over the catch pan and come back the next day, put the end nut/cap back on and refill... :)

I added a step, don't do what I did once long ago.

dvsone79
05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Mityvac it is, then. Thanks for the replies!

dvsone79
05-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I added a step, don't do what I did once long ago.

Oh, no...

dvsone79
05-15-2013, 01:04 AM
After a few wakeboard sets this evening, I tried draining again once I got back, and its actually flowing out. I'm going to let it drain overnight and then I'll change the filter and put the new oil in tomorrow.

Now I just need to do the transmission fluid. Anyone have some good tips for that? I hear its best to use oil instead of traditional tranny fluid. It doesn't seem quite as easy to drain though...

russlars
05-15-2013, 03:30 AM
After a few wakeboard sets this evening, I tried draining again once I got back, and its actually flowing out. I'm going to let it drain overnight and then I'll change the filter and put the new oil in tomorrow.

Now I just need to do the transmission fluid. Anyone have some good tips for that? I hear its best to use oil instead of traditional tranny fluid. It doesn't seem quite as easy to drain though...
Not hard to do the transmission, but you will need a pump for that. I still use transmission fluid in mine because that is what the manual calls for. Just make sure that you don't overfill or underfill. There is not a lot of room for error.