PDA

View Full Version : Be polite to the jet skiers

east tx skier
05-12-2013, 08:41 PM
It's hard for me to believe that I am posting this, but we had a few jet skiers on our semi private site today. It happens sometimes and they tend to mess up the water when they get too close to the course. When I saw them at the ramp, I had that sinking feeling, but smiled and moved the boat out of the way so they could unload first. I made small talk and told them I hope they enjoyed their day.

Sure enough, a couple of my passes had some rougher than usual water. But I just smiled. Just glad to be at the lake.

So my son is in the water. We're working on skiing without the bar on the trainers. His second try and I'm bringing the rope to him, or so I think. Uh, oh. For the first time in over ten years of boating, I have wrapped the rope around the prop. I had a knife, but the dive mask was not on board. As I'm swimming to help my son get his skis back to the boat, one of the jet skiers pulls up to him, pulls him on board, and takes him and the skis back to the boat. I ask for a tow and he obliges. I offer him a little gas money for the short trip to the ramp and he declines. Then, despite my saying many thanks and that I have it from here, they swim the boat the last 15 yards or so to the ramp while I back the trailer. One of them even helps winch it on.

These guys were good guys. I told them we'd be glad to have them in the ski club and pull them through the course whenever. One of them says he's a wakeboarder. I say, "fine, we have some of those, too." It's easy to get frustrated when hobbies collide like towed sports and jet skis. But be nice. They are just enjoying the water, too. And you might need a tow. :)

mikeg205
05-12-2013, 08:45 PM
well said easttx. :)

Table Rocker
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
I had one of the girls down in the water one time and a couple of jet skis went flying right at her. I was thinking "What in Hades are these guys doing?" About that time they pulled up around her "protecting" her from boat traffic. There weren't many boats in the area, but I appreciated their good intentions.

SSMoose
05-12-2013, 08:52 PM
East Texas,
I have to agree with you that there are some jet skiers who are top flight people. I have had a similar experience over the years. I am only willing to be unhappy with the ones who follow a skier or run too close to my boat in an effort to have a wake to jump. These are usually the younger set who don't know water rules or are dumb enough to ignore them.

I say, like you, let's give them all the breaks we can. They may one day have the money to buy a MC. Then they are likely to feel this same way. If we don't spend our time bugging them they will perhaps learn to not irritate others. What say TT?

SSMoose
05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry for the double post! I still haven't mastered all I need to master here.

blakekrone
05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Having just sold my two skis to get the MC I have to say some of us are well behaved on them! It's all about the attitude of the driver. If I was wake jumping I would never get close to anyone pulling someone and I would always stay away from their paths to keep the lines clean for them.

But then there are those idiots on them as well that gave us all bad names!!

ski_king
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Doug, I am sorry to hear you fell and hit your head today. Get well soon.

east tx skier
05-12-2013, 09:50 PM
There are idiots with ski boats and there are idiots with jet skis. I have encountered both. I'm just glad I didn't prejudge these guys, even if they did mess up my water a bit before I buggered up my son's ski rope. I have helped out a lot of stranded boaters. Glad karma came back around like it should.

east tx skier
05-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Doug, I am sorry to hear you fell and hit your head today. Get well soon.

I'll be alright. I'm just glad my prop survived the hit. I also learned that much like removing mileage from old Ferraris, the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. :D The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer. :o

ski_king
05-12-2013, 09:57 PM
There ate a lot of good people out there. Skiers, jet skiers, fishermen and even wake boarders. I have seen them all help somebody out.

Actually the biggest a-hole in the area I ski is a fellow water skier.

mikeg205
05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
There are idiots with ski boats and there are idiots with jet skis. I have encountered both. I'm just glad I didn't prejudge these guys, even if they did mess up my water a bit before I buggered up my son's ski rope. I have helped out a lot of stranded boaters. Glad karma came back around like it should.

Lot of idiots with all size boats... hopefully this will be a good and safe season...

SKI*MC
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Lot of idiots with all size boats... hopefully this will be a good and safe season...

Amen, brother! :toast:

FrankSchwab
05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
...the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. :D The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer. :o

Believe it or not, I was drinking my evening Margarita when I read that, and almost lost part of it back through my nose :D. That's funny, right there.

FrankSchwab
05-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Ooops, double post. Maybe I've had too much margarita.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I'll be alright. I'm just glad my prop survived the hit. I also learned that much like removing mileage from old Ferraris, the rope does not become untangled when you gun it in reverse. I had to check to be sure though. :D The sound of the handle hitting the hull ever so firmly was my answer. :o

I will try to remember that when I am the one with the rope wrapped around my prop.:rolleyes:

At least in the places where I boat, the trend seems to be towards more educated people on personal watercraft of all sorts. I have had fewer occasions where I found myself approaching them and giving heated directions as to the safe operation of their craft.

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Two quick hits:

Bad: I was Lake Death (Lewisville) and my buddy was taking video... For a few extra style points, I shot the bird at the camera... I dropped and was finished with my run. All of a sudden, a drunk guy on a waverunner who barely spoke English drove up at full speed between the back of the boat and me, over the ski rope. Yes, he could have killed me and was pissed off because he thought we were flipping him the finger from clear across the lake. He has no idea how close my buddy came to clocking him in the head with my ski

Good: I was on Ray Roberts and a waverunner stopped to help me when I was stranded... 1st time out on the lake with my boat... He asked “is the boat in neutral?” Turns out this noob left the boat in fwd gear, then couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t start... lmao

I am glad that I do not have to deal with public lakes, public boat ramps, and waverunners on the lake anymore.

Edit: Waverunners are the reason I am in the ski club now... It was 5:30 AM one morning on Lavon when we almost got hit byu one in the dark.... I was so angry, i found my way off the public waterways and never looked back

scott023
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM

That's an awesome lesson Doug. Thanks for posting.

east tx skier
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Believe it or not, I was drinking my evening Margarita when I read that, and almost lost part of it back through my nose :D. That's funny, right there.

Nice!

It made perfect sense in the moment.

CC2MC
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
East Texas,
I have to agree with you that there are some jet skiers who are top flight people. I have had a similar experience over the years. I am only willing to be unhappy with the ones who follow a skier or run too close to my boat in an effort to have a wake to jump. These are usually the younger set who don't know water rules or are dumb enough to ignore them.

I say, like you, let's give them all the breaks we can. They may one day have the money to buy a MC. Then they are likely to feel this same way. If we don't spend our time bugging them they will perhaps learn to not irritate others. What say TT?

My thoughts exactly! I guess I really took it for granted when I had a father that knows the rules of the water and actually taught them to me. The problem with the younger generation on the jet skis is not the kids, but the parents. If they are not taught the responsible way to go boating, then they need to learn before they get out by themselves. Unfortunately most of the parents do not know the rules of the water either, so it just gets passed on to the kids.

Our lake cabin is down by a very small bridge, one that my boat cannot go under, but the jet skis can just fine. There is always some kid and occasional adult that gets some thrill from going under the bridge then tearing out of the slough full speed ahead. I need to just throw up an idle speed buoy and see if that helps.

Alabama is one of the few states that requires a boating license, but it is about like getting your drivers license. There are still plenty of stupid drivers in cars and they somehow got their license. I really do love hopping on a jet ski and tearing it up every now and then and kind of would like to have one at times, but I also like to think of myself as one of the considerate ones too.

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
In reality, everyone young or old should have to have a class and tests to have a boating license.

sgoyal
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Since it's regarding Jet Ski, I'll post my update since it happened yesterday.

Two of my friends were on Jet Ski and one of them knows how to swim and other one didn't know but both had a life Jacket on :-) .. Since Lake Lanier is full of water right now and there were so many wake, they found a way to fell off the Jet ski. I had my boat ready to be on the trailer since I was almost done. All of sudden, We heard the scream, oh chit we gonna die we gonna die.. We were laughing our arse off.. Dude, You know how to swim (but we totally forgot he got someone who didn't and that dude was panicking).. all of sudden 2-3 boats started going toward them and I put the reverse gear and approached them and loaded in my boat.

We all are on the water for some fun but I think boating lesson and license should be priority.

SSMoose
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
In reality, everyone young or old should have to have a class and tests to have a boating license.

Agreed. Training is a must for driving a car, so it should be for a watercraft as well. I spent a number of trips to the lake teaching my family the rules. We would all be licensed if there were such in SC. Ignorance is not bliss when endangering others is concerned. Parents who allow kids to drive without being taught properly. I don't envy them when they figure out that they bear the liability.

tideengineer
05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Well I will start out my comment by saying that we are boat poor. Along with our 96 Prostar 190 LT1, we also have a 24' pontoon boat, a 16' Fisher fishing boat, a 35' Catalina Sailboat (dad's), and last but not least...a 2004 Polaris Virage I jet ski...which my kids love so much that I just spent around $1,000 to have the FICHT computer rebuilt and some other work. My kids are well schooled about the rules of the water and know all privileges will be lost for doing the crap I cuss people for. We get the occasional follower on our lake, but usually never while pulling...we have enough bada$$'s on our lake that have threatened bodily harm that there's been a hefty decline in the complaints. Another thing I have noticed is the number of jet ski's on the lake has declined over the last 5-6 years...mainly I think because the price of a new one is getting so high that it is not that easy to get on the water anymore...

mikeg205
05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Agreed. Training is a must for driving a car, so it should be for a watercraft as well. I spent a number of trips to the lake teaching my family the rules. We would all be licensed if there were such in SC. Ignorance is not bliss when endangering others is concerned. Parents who allow kids to drive without being taught properly. I don't envy them when they figure out that they bear the liability.

This has been discussed in other threads... the only problem is letting big brother getting his stupid fingers into something else.

As much as I agree - I don't want more regulations - it will only hurt the people who give a crap.

BriEOD
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Doug, thanks for sharing. Also, nice to read that even "The Great Eastie" has wrapped a rope in the prop! Been there and done that. A ski mask and a knife (along with a set of jumper cables) is a must for any ski boat.

19_Skier
05-13-2013, 04:14 PM
This has been discussed in other threads... the only problem is letting big brother getting his stupid fingers into something else.

As much as I agree - I don't want more regulations - it will only hurt the people who give a crap.

we have it in Canada, it is a one time cost to take a course and write the exam - no expiration (yet!) on the license. Getting caught without one is a $250 fine.

CC2MC
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
we have it in Canada, it is a one time cost to take a course and write the exam - no expiration (yet!) on the license. Getting caught without one is a $250 fine.

It is similar here in AL as well although it expires whenever your DL expires as it is just an endorsement on your license. Not sure what the fine is, but I hope I never have to find out. I moved to FL several years ago and ironically they do not require a boat license. You would think that a state that is mostly surrounded by water would require something like that, but they don't. Anyway when I moved back to AL, I was worried that I would have to take the boating test again after had I had taken it about 15 years prior. Thankfully, I still had my certification card, although the lady had to call her superior to get it approved as they no longer give those type out. Thankfully they let me add the endorsement back on my DL.

At a bare minimum, I think it would be a good idea for a dealer to offer a safe boating class for those that purchase a boat from them. Perhaps some do, I'm not sure.

mikeg205
05-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Yes I have that Canada's boating card... :)

east tx skier
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Doug, thanks for sharing. Also, nice to read that even "The Great Eastie" has wrapped a rope in the prop! Been there and done that. A ski mask and a knife (along with a set of jumper cables) is a must for any ski boat.

I had the knife, but had pulled the mask out when I was working on the course using a friend's boat. As for jumper cables, we have a portable jump starter under the observer seat that is charged up regularly.

And yes, I'm not immune from stupid human tricks. Cameron has a new rope and handle on order (at least it wasn't mine). :)

Wouter
05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Boat/Jetski license mandatory for most places in Europe: still doesn't mean you don't cross paths with clueless people from time to time...