PDA

View Full Version : Gps?

planoboy
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone recommend a good hand held gps unit?

erkoehler
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
What do you want it to do? Budget?

There are "GPS" units as low as having only a digital compass, MPH reading, headings, and temps.

Or the more expensive ones with the map overlays of where you are and you can plug in an address to get step my step instructions. Some will even verbally tell you when to turn and so on....

planoboy
09-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Wanna tell whar I iz and whar I do and dont wanna go.
Seriously our lake is very low, want to use it to mark stumps as I sometimes head back to ramp after dark. I like the features of the Garmin GPSMAP 60 series.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60/index.jsp

Budget: couple / 3 - 4 hunski ?

east tx skier
09-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I've got a Garmin etrex. Picked it up for $99 and it does what I need it to do, which is check my boat speed.

Had a Garmin street pilot in the car for a while, but inasmuch as I primarily am just driving around town, selling it to finance perfect pass was among the best things related to the boat I've done.

BriEOD
09-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I have a Garmin Rhino. It works great and is user friendly.

BuoyChaser
09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
what, what a cool idea using the GPS to mark lake hazards...gotta be software out there that you can add these hazards to a map to give you a warning when you're 100' from them...how about an audible, WARNING YOUR 100' AWAY FROM BUYING A NEW PROP!!! :)

the cheaps ones work great for judging speed, just be sure to drive in a straight line by picking a landmark on shore for best results...

east tx skier
09-28-2005, 02:32 PM
I think a fish finder would be better for marking/locating the underwater hazards (just go slow to find them). The real ticket is forward-looking sonar (but that's some big $$$).

The handheld GPS units are not quite so accurate (they claim 12', but it's probably closer to 20'. I tried to use one to locate my course anchors and couldn't even get close. I think the newer units are claiming accurate to 8'. So it's getting better.

To really find stuff, my impression is you have to have some cool military gear (even though it's all the same satellites).

planoboy
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Think the GPSMAP 60 might be the one, $2-fiddy.
spotter brought along cheap one the other day.
I did not play w/ it much, but to be able to see the whole lake, where you iz and where you wuz at night w/ backlit display was cool.
he said you could buy accurate lake maps for it. it wuz using the dfw overall map.
Garmin sells lake maps fer fishin, but Lake Lewisville aint on Texas edition.
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/fhsReg.html#reg4