PDA

View Full Version : Running Bad

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a 2000 205 with the 330 LTR. End of last season, boat ran perfect. Upon start-up this year, boat will crank perfect and idle for about an 8-10 second count then die. It will start and idle at mid rpm, but high rpm causes misfire out of the top of the engine.

Have not looked on the fuel side yet. Regulator, pump, and filter are one unit on top of tank.

Replaced the ICM, coils (4), and plugs to no avail. Any suggestions?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Any chance you crossed two plug wires while you were changing plugs?

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Nah, the problem was there before I changed the plugs. Plug wires and coils are marked, so no mismatch error there. Really hoping the problem is not the pump.

Thanks for the reply, that would've been a quick fix.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Simple fixes are always the best. Likely the pump as it really sounds like fuel delivery. Have you done anything with filters? Did you treat the gas last fall. Fuel quality could be an issue.

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Have not changed the filter yet. Didn't think it could be the filter since it is not an in-line version. My filter is at the base of the pump and looks much like a round air filter you might see in an older car.
Fuel smells like good fuel with no separation. Good thoughts though.

Hmm...

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Fuel was treated with Stabil at the end of last season. Sorry, missed that answer on my reply. Appreciate the tips, keep em coming.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
That about runs me out of ideas other than the fuel pump. I suppose getting fuel pressure would be the next step, though I am now out of my area of expertise.

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey, I appreciate the help. Hopefully something will work out sooner and cheaper rather than later and extremely expensive.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
There was a thread on here a week or so back where fuel pumps were being sold for cheap. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54116

JimN
05-11-2013, 10:23 AM
I have a 2000 205 with the 330 LTR. End of last season, boat ran perfect. Upon start-up this year, boat will crank perfect and idle for about an 8-10 second count then die. It will start and idle at mid rpm, but high rpm causes misfire out of the top of the engine.

Have not looked on the fuel side yet. Regulator, pump, and filter are one unit on top of tank.

Replaced the ICM, coils (4), and plugs to no avail. Any suggestions?

Stop replacing parts until you know what's wrong!

This is going to seem harsh, but you need to think about this, not guess. It's not going to magically tell you what's wrong. You'll only find this by testing things. If you have no idea how to do the testing, take it to someone who does.

If it ran well last year, something changed and it will be possible to verify.

Who winterized it? What did they do? Is the flame arrestor clean? Does it want to run if you open the throttle a little?

What is your fuel pressure?

Did you take a fuel sample? You can do this when you check the pressure.

Did you test for spark?

Did you check your battery terminals? Yes, they can cause this kind of thing if not clean and tight.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2013, 10:32 AM
JimN to the rescue..........

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. Harsh, but absolutely true. All good stuff. Headed to the dealer or a seasoned mechanic soon.

SSMoose
05-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. Harsh, but absolutely true. All good stuff. Headed to the dealer or a seasoned mechanic soon.

From earlier threads I hope you are close to a Rambo location in Alabama! They must be the cats meow of a MC dealer. Good luck with this. We all want to be on the water instead of waiting in the shop.

JimN
05-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Any GM-trained mechanic should be able to solve this. ANY of them- it's a GM-based system, from the ground up. The only thing they wouldn't be familiar with is the fresh water cooling system.

Jerseydave
05-11-2013, 04:48 PM
All good advise so far. Here's what I would do (in order)

1. Make sure knock sensor is connected, check all sensor connections
2. Clean and tighten battery cables at battery and at engine block, check cable to starter as well
3. Double-check plug wires are going to the proper plugs
4. Fuel pressure test
5. Add seafoam to fuel and water test, see if anything changes
6. ?

mikeg205
05-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Stop replacing parts until you know what's wrong!

This is going to seem harsh, but you need to think about this, not guess. It's not going to magically tell you what's wrong. You'll only find this by testing things. If you have no idea how to do the testing, take it to someone who does.

If it ran well last year, something changed and it will be possible to verify.

Who winterized it? What did they do? Is the flame arrestor clean? Does it want to run if you open the throttle a little?

What is your fuel pressure?

Did you take a fuel sample? You can do this when you check the pressure.

Did you test for spark?

Did you check your battery terminals? Yes, they can cause this kind of thing if not clean and tight.

Jim - all good questions...

mikeg205
05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
my bet is fuel filter and or fuel pump on this baby... but do JimN's stuff first.

JimN
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
my bet is fuel filter and or fuel pump on this baby... but do JimN's stuff first.

Add JerseyDave's recommendation about the knock sensor wire, too.

I would also check the timing- if it never advances more than 10-15BTDC, check the knock sensor and the wire. At WOT, the engine should be hitting about 40 of total advance but if the knock sensor is sending knock signal and you just can't hear any, look into that. If you run at about 20MPH and hit a motor mount with a hammer and see no change in the timing advance, tap on the sensor and see if that makes it retard. If not, the sensor could be bad.