PDA

View Full Version : What to do with these seat cracks?

Jesujoma
05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm looking at this 2001 mastercraft for purchase. The seats have these small cracks. My previous boat never cracked like this.
Did this happen to this boat due to excessive UV exposure, not wiping down the seats when wet? poor quality material? using the wrong protectant? I m wondering if they are about to completely fall apart if I was to buy the boat is just a couple of years.

Any experience with this?

sand2snow22
05-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Have them recovered. I just had one recovered for $75 at local vinyl shop.

Ryan
05-08-2013, 11:52 PM
That was very common on '01-04 boats due to the vinyl MC (and other manufacturers used) those years plus the pin-stipe-stitch perforations created additional vulnerability. The solution is to get portions or the whole interior redone. I'm sure UV was part of the issue, but this is most likely not a one-off problem or anything the owner did/didn't do.

monsterwake
05-08-2013, 11:58 PM
My front seats just started this 2 weekends ago. I don't know why because they were perfect until then. I am pretty cautions of everything in my interior. I am thinking it is from someone standing in the seat.

mikeg205
05-09-2013, 08:17 AM
The backing on the vinyl is what holds it all together...if it gets brittle the vinyl will not hold together. Also the vinyl formulation is important. Traxxx here had his redone recently done and it looks beautiful and has a nice feel to it. Vinyl has come a long way.

Find a good shop and have it recovered - or throw a towel over it so don't see it. If it's a step point have upholsterer so a panel there that take the stress better.

Traxx822
05-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Find a good shop and have it recovered - or throw a towel over it so don't see it. If it's a step point have upholsterer so a panel there that take the stress better.

That is key. I just got mine done. I added seams, extra padding, etc in high stress areas. If your going to do it over. Might as well solve the problems that caused it to need redone.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

gotjag941
05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Gotta recover them only going to get worse

Jesujoma
05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for everyones feedback, I'll have to keep the recovering cost in mind with the sellers asking price.
I'm still surprised to see the seats like this, given the rest of the boat looks terrific.
BTW, whats a good cleaner/treatment for seats to keep them lasting as long as possible?