PDA

View Full Version : Block Petcock - Thread Issue

Double D
05-08-2013, 08:47 PM
So I tried to install the petcock on the port side of my Indmar Chevy 350 block tonight, as I do every spring, and it strips out on me. The threads on the petcock are stripped a bit but I also feel the threads in the block are also somewhat messed up. (pinky feel)

What are my options here??

Thanks in advance.

JimN
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
So I tried to install the petcock on the port side of my Indmar Chevy 350 block tonight, as I do every spring, and it strips out on me. The threads on the petcock are stripped a bit but I also feel the threads in the block are also somewhat messed up. (pinky feel)

What are my options here??

Thanks in advance.

I seriously doubt the petcock stripped the thread in the block- most of the time, petcocks have a brass body, specifically so it won't rust in place and the dissimilar metals prevents this.

If you know someone who has taps and dies, use the tap to clear out the thread in the hole and try it again. If the petcock is definitely stripped, buy a brass plug, rather than a petcock.

ricford
05-08-2013, 08:58 PM
The petcock is brass on purpose so that it's softer than the block. I would buy a new one and try it. You could run a tap through it to clean it up. Hopefully the new one will seal.

ricford
05-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I seriously doubt the petcock stripped the thread in the block- most of the time, petcocks have a brass body, specifically so it won't rust in place and the dissimilar metals prevents this.

If you know someone who has taps and dies, use the tap to clear out the thread in the hole and try it again. If the petcock is definitely stripped, buy a brass plug, rather than a petcock.

You beat me to it. You must be a fast typer.

Double D
05-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys! Will do that and let you know.

mikeg205
05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
I had almost the same thing happen on the starboard side with knock sensor...chased thread now keep it lubed.. don't over tighten.. problem free for 2 seasons now..

Double D
05-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, the block is fine and a new Petcock is installed. All is well....

mikeg205
05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
outstanding ...skie time.. :)

east tx skier
05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
When you winterize, I'd suggest you replace the petcocks with brass plugs. What you will lose in convenience, you will gain in actually getting all of the water out of the block. I have seen petcocks clog up with rust bits with relative ease. Replaced them on my MC. Also replaced them on the SN within one week of ownership. I can get the plugs out pretty fast.

LittleFuss
05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
see if you can find a chaser instead of a tap. You stand far less likely chase of boogering up threads. taps are hard and will cut anything. being that it is most likely a little rust in your way I go chaser...

mikeg205
05-15-2013, 08:49 PM
is "boogering up" a technical term? ;)

Lumbergh
05-15-2013, 11:19 PM
+1 on Brass Plugs.

9/16 wrench/socket and out in a jiffy. I destroyed old corroded (probably original) petcock removing it, then tossed in trash.

Brass plugs are cheap, easy and readily available.