PDA

View Full Version : Velvet 71C rebuild

PsychoatLarge
05-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm in the process of overhauling a 71C Velvet drive from a 1975 Stars and Stripes with the Holman Moody Engine upgrade.

My question is when I disassembled my reverse clutch it had only one brass plate and no steel plates. Is this normal? It appears that the brass plate is squeezed between the large steel plate that rides on the springs and the transmission case itself. Should I be adding one of the steel plates that came with the rebuild along with another brass one, or just put it back together with one brass plate alone, as it was when it came apart?

The other thing that was different from the rebuild manual is that there was no snap ring below the forward clutch plates as shown in the drawings, only the two that are above them. The gap with the new forward plates is around 0.050 without the third snap ring, which is between the 0.018 and 0.053" that the manual requires so I guess this is why there was none.

But if anyone knows why my transmission only has one brass reverse plate and no steel ones, other than the big one below the piston, I would like to know before I put it back together. Or who to ask?

Thanks.

blackcreek
05-11-2013, 08:10 AM
This may help. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874