PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Secure Extended Pylons on a S&S

Shilohsho
05-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey guys I'm wondering what your thoughts are on where to place the strap on the flite poles/Skylons etc. on a '85 S&S. I've seen them attached to the eye on top of the bow behind the marker lights and I've seen them with the strap running around the nose of the bow and over the rub rails.
Here is the deal-- Does the rub rail do well with the strap running over it and not getting distorted and/or can the "eye" on top of the bow handle the task without getting pulled loose and ruining the fiberglass around it?

I looked at a S&S recently that had that eye's mounting pulled loose and looked like it had been abused but I have no idea what may have caused it.

Thanks for your input!

mikeg205
05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
I run the strap on my prostar around nose. I thought of using the lifting eye - but that eye was design to lift up on to be pulled back. IMO

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Mike's right, use the bow eye. I have used my B.I. Fly High for several years without any marks to the rub-rail. Using the bow eye allows the bow of the boat to take the strain rather than just the lifting ring.

If you really wanted to use the bow eye, there is a thread on here where the bow eye was connected to the lifting ring with a fabricated steel plate.