PDA

View Full Version : V-drive impeller - - - rite of passage?

musicmd
05-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Well, my de-winterization is now complete. I have read and re-read a number of posts about changing the impeller in a V-drive (in my case, a 2004 X-10 with 350 MCX); tonight, I decided to do it.

It went quite a bit easier than expected, based on some of the stories I've read and heard. My mechanic suggested lying on top of the engine, but I found that working from the port side was much easier for me. I got the cover off easily enough and then just worked a flathead screwdriver around and around until the impeller came off.

I coated the new one with dishwasher soap and it slid on without a problem.

My MC dealer (who is awesome) joked that I would "do one myself, then pay them to do all the rest." However, this was no big deal and I can see doing this myself going forward. Next year, I'll try bumping the starter to see if that simplifies the removal. (I didn't do it this year, because my two boys were asleep in the bedroom right above the garage.)

At the very least, I feel like more of a MC owner now, given this rite of passage.

All I need now is for the local lakes to warm up just a little bit more.

SSMoose
05-07-2013, 11:57 PM
You have done the hardest part. First time you learn as you go second time it's easier, practice makes skills.

dvsone79
05-08-2013, 12:05 AM
I know what you mean when you say "rite of passage". I have done everything myself so far on my '99 205v that I've owned for a little over a year, to include winterization, impeller change, oil change, sub/tower speaker/amp install, dual battery install, and a few other odds and ends. I figured it was the best way to learn about my new (well, new to me) boat. At first I had the same thought your dealer told you, that I'd do it myself and then let the dealer do it. But I found that I like working on it, so I think I'll keep doing it myself!

Rossterman
05-08-2013, 02:32 AM
I know what you mean when you say "rite of passage". I have done everything myself so far on my '99 205v that I've owned for a little over a year, to include winterization, impeller change, oil change, sub/tower speaker/amp install, dual battery install, and a few other odds and ends. I figured it was the best way to learn about my new (well, new to me) boat. At first I had the same thought your dealer told you, that I'd do it myself and then let the dealer do it. But I found that I like working on it, so I think I'll keep doing it myself!

Sounds like me on my 2001 205V- just swap the dual battery part for automated ballast system :). I enjoyed learning from others on the board about each project then executing it. Tend to be pretty anal about attention to detail on the work so usually not happy with work done for me by others. I do most house, car boat work myself...can't remember the last time I've hired a repairman. Relocating to Houston for work at the end of this year and will be keeping the house in California to come back to from time to time so will likely be forced to hire someone to fix items that can't wait until I get back here.

Also did my first impeller this last weekend in prep for first spring run and due winterization. Had the engine panels out so very easy to get to. Puller I bought doesn't have enough room between the muffler to turn it but was able to just wiggle it out. Used glycerine as recommended in the Johnson instructions as didnt want to lube with something that might deteriorate the impeller material since it will be sitting for a few weeks.