PDA

View Full Version : Early 2000's Upholstery

tph
05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
I'm looking at a 2000 PS 205. It's a low hour beauty in excellent condition. My major reservation about this boat is the upholstery. It looks great now but I've seen numerous threads on this board about the problems owners have with this vintage. Is it possible to avoid the problems through proper maintenance? Thanks.

Hogwild
05-08-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't know b/c my 99 wasn't affected, but I think it had more to do with the chemical composition of the vinyl than maintenance. My understanding was that the EPA made them remove a product from the vinyl and it made it less durable. Took a few years to find a fix.

LaRue
05-08-2013, 01:17 AM
I am quite sure the vinyl concerns started in 2001. That said, the vinyl is 13 years old and the level of care it received from PO will be a factor. We have a 2000 with original vinyl and I would rate it a 8.5 out of ten and I'm picky.

sheckski
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
I have a 2000 205v and we use our boat hard. Original vinyl went after 4 years. Replacement skins lasted maybe 3. The issue was indeed with a change in the chemical composition. I am sure that exposure to the sun and elements aggravates the issue. If yours look good now then I would consider that a very positive sign. The good news is if you have to change them out, the new vinyls are really beautifully and update the boat. Check out my thread on my replacement project done by viper but self installed.

JimN
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm looking at a 2000 PS 205. It's a low hour beauty in excellent condition. My major reservation about this boat is the upholstery. It looks great now but I've seen numerous threads on this board about the problems owners have with this vintage. Is it possible to avoid the problems through proper maintenance? Thanks.

I wouldn't obsess about it or pass on it because of the upholstery. If it's bad, offer less and have it re-done. It's never going to last forever, anyway- no matter how good the materials are and after 13 years, you're doing well if it lasts a few more years with moderate/heavy use and lots of Sun exposure.

nickespi
05-08-2013, 09:05 AM
I replaced my interior on my 02 this year. It was part of those bad years. It still looked really good. The PO took really good care of it. The only reason we redid the interior was due to it being in storage for two seasons and the cover causing mildew stains where it touched. Probably would have gone quite a few more seasons if it wasn't the case. Anyway, new interior equals 2-3k depending. So factor that into the asking price if you're really stressing it.

tph
05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm not terribly concerned about the upholstery. It's just that the owner is asking a premium for this boat and replacement upholstery would be a significant future expense. I had planned on taking this into consideration when making him an offer, but I'm not sure how low he will go. Thanks again.

02ProstarSammyD
05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
For a 205 you are prob looking at like 1600-1800 for skins +install if you need it to redo the entire boat. Just fyi

The skins are not hard to do just very time consuming. You are prob 2500-3k deep after install if you don't do it yourself but I can't speak to that specifically as I haven't ever had install quoted.

Ski-me
05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
It's a know issue so don't sluff it off. I've seen a lot of 2000 era boats with interior problems and stitching problems. On the other hand, I've seen a few 1994 era boats and have NOT seen similar problems. Yes, an owner's care is one element but it has been known these (2000 era's) fall apart. If the same theory were true across all MC interiors, then we would see problems throughout.....but that is simply not the case.

I would plan on a new interior (from scratch) and not replacement skins from the same material/thread. A trip to Viper sounds like the long term solution for this era of boat.

This specific issue made me NOT purchase a 205 for my sister-in-law. I knew it would eventually be a problem and didn't want her to deal with it. That's why we got her a 1999 Cobalt. If the interior issue was not there, she would be a MC owner (bottom line).

There is a nice SD 205 in the Denver area that's been for sale for a few years (yes years!) And he keeps the same price. Nice boat but a premium for interior that's going to need replacement.

Just my 2 cents.....

Rossterman
05-08-2013, 04:44 PM
I have an early 2001 and other than a small area on the back pad where its getting small cracks by the stitching, it all still looks great. As others have said think this happend in later 2001 for a few years. I think you are likely good to go if it's still in good shape at this point

02ProstarSammyD
05-08-2013, 05:43 PM
have an early 2001 and other than a small area on the back pad where its getting small cracks by the stitching, it all still looks great. As others have said think this happend in later 2001 for a few years. I think you are likely good to go if it's still in good shape at this point

For me it was the stitching and cracking that drove me nuts in my 02. Most of the vinyl was fine compared to others I have seen. I think a lot of the problems are from using improper cleaners and drying out it out. Not saying all.......but some

petermegan
05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Agree with JimN on this. In a way it could be to your advantage to negotiate price and end up with new upholstery. My 2000 190 has 'thin' vinyl and needs partial replacement.Have fun

JohnE
05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Keep in mind that half of the problems were with the stitching and not the material. I think 2000 was prior to the problems. Not positive.

tph
05-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks again to everyone who responded. A lot of useful information here. Unfortunately, someone put a deposit on the boat this afternoon.