PDA

View Full Version : Wiring (5 speakers - 4 Channel Amp)

PendO
09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Okay, 2 front Speakers, 2 rear speakers, 1 sub with a 4 channel amp to power the speakers.

Planning on putting rear spekers on the 2 rear channels of the amp (channel 3 & 4), front speakers on channels 1 & 2 of the amp, and then bridging channels 1 & 2 of the front channels to drive the sub.

When it came from the factory they had the 4 boat speakers hooked up to the 2 front channels, and used the 2 rear channels for the sub (bridging across channel 3 & 4) ... needless to say I have a speaker in the bow that does not work with current wiring harness (never has) so I am going to bypass the harness and let the dealership look at it when winterized - possibly just get a new harness.

But, back to original question ... is it okay to bridge the sub as mentioned above, or should I just hook up the sub with either channel 1 or 2 (not bridging)?

TIA-Casey

OhioProstar
09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
You shouldn't have a problem running what basically is a 3 channel configuration. Remember to use larger enough power and ground wires. Is it a Clarion amp?

BRAZOS 205
09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm confused, are you putting your 2 front speakers and the sub on channels 1&2? My understanding is you cannot run 2 full range speakers on channels 1&2 and also bridge channels 1&2 for the sub. You would be running 3 speakers in parrallel, if 8 ohm speakers, that would get you down to 2 ohms and you would be running full range of audio thru your sub. You would need some additional components for low pass and high pass filters.

You need to run it like it came, 4 full range speakers on channel 1&2 and the sub bridged on channel 3&4.

dwe
09-27-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm putting basically the full factory system in the 197. I don't think you can run speakers and sub through the front 2 channels. I got a 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a separate 2 channel amp ($50 on ebay) for the sub. I spoke with clarion on my setup.

jamisonsbrodie
09-27-2005, 01:46 PM
The best method for your situation is the original. If the amp is of good quality, the 4 full range speakers will bring the load on channels 1 and 2 down to 2 ohms, and then channels 3 and 4 will be bridged and have a load of 4 ohms( based on all your speakers being 4 ohms) Running a mixed bridge mode (like the one that you are proposing) will reduce the amount of power going to the sub, as well as running a bridged 2 Ohm load, which a lot of amps cannot handle. You want as much power as you can going to the sub, the full range speakers don't require nearly as much. What amp are you using, and what is the rating, in RMS/Continuos power, not max rating?

PendO
09-27-2005, 02:49 PM
The problem with this is that the deck (CMD4) appears to only have a fade setting from front to rear, no right and left balance like a standard car system (different than the system in the X-Star). If I had right and left balance then I could set the 4 speakers up as originally recieved and then use the balance to adjust front rear and fade to adjust from the 4 speakers to the sub.

http://www.teamclarion.com/sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/b519d112bdcca8b588256a630071fab1/9a735e58e4c9af1288256fa9005c026d/$FILE/CMD4-English.pdf

I will probably just buy another amp for the sub and run the 4 speakers off the original amp, I'm glad M/C tested the boat as it runs awesome, but I sure wish all 4 speakers had worked as it was a pain in the butt getting the MTS ballast out to look at the wiring.

Also, for those of you ordering the remote, I would suggest getting the CMRC1-SB, not the CMRC2-SB that I got. As the 1 has an LED screen and the 2 does not - FWIW

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/marine_audio/index.html

The AMP is JL Audio e4300M http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=261

edit - thank you guys for all the help, I am no audiologist;)

jamisonsbrodie
09-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Having a seperate sub amp would be ideal if you want to go that route, the amp that you have has pre-outs that would allow you to do it, but if you set it correctly, it should sound pretty good by itself. Basically you have 37.5 watts rms to each of the 4 full range speakers(run in parallel from channels 1 and 2), and 150 rms to the sub(bridged from 3 and 4), all good numbers. As far as being able to control the fade between the speakers and the sub, you can adjust the gain amount on the amp to get the proper balance(as well as the bass level). The four full-range speakers should all receive the same level, so having all four run off of 2 channels shouldn't be a problem. You have a good amp that allows for a good amount of flexibility, its just a matter of setting the gains, crossovers, and bass levels to get the sound that you want.

Ric
09-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Having a seperate sub amp would be ideal if you want to go that route, the amp that you have has pre-outs that would allow you to do it, but if you set it correctly, it should sound pretty good by itself. Basically you have 37.5 watts rms to each of the 4 full range speakers(run in parallel from channels 1 and 2), and 150 rms to the sub(bridged from 3 and 4), all good numbers. As far as being able to control the fade between the speakers and the sub, you can adjust the gain amount on the amp to get the proper balance(as well as the bass level). The four full-range speakers should all receive the same level, so having all four run off of 2 channels shouldn't be a problem. You have a good amp that allows for a good amount of flexibility, its just a matter of setting the gains, crossovers, and bass levels to get the sound that you want.
I hate to be a whiner but why in the hell does clarion NOT have sub outs on the deck? The deck will run sattellite and video monitors and dvd changers and cd changers and remotes all together but we have to finagle a subwoofer output? It just seems to simple to skip?????
pendo would still need a seperate sub amp but I'm not altogether happy with the sub sound in my 197 running it as spelled out above
Is it just me
anyone... anyone...
?

PendO
09-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Ric, I agree, why not have an amp that would drive 4 speakers on their own channel, and somewhere to wire in yor sub, without having to get another amp and use the pre-outs.

Second, the deck not having balance (just fade) is cheap, considering the 04 model has it, and even cheap cars have it.

Third, the remote is cheaper without the visual display, but it is probably only 50 bucks cheaper and usually you want to see the display on the remote, otherwise you are just guessing and someone has to open the glove box anyway. (I didn't buy an M/C to save money;)

Ric, does your deck at least have balance?

Jamison, as for the crossovers that is why we replaced the speakers in the tower in the X-Star, to get one good crossover per speaker ... I don't think much of the crossovers built in to the speakers.

When we filled out the card on the X-Star we basically said, helluva boat, kinds skimped on the stereo setup ... I will probably say the same thing again.

Ultimately I have the factory put in the system so that the skins are all set up properly, I really would not want a shop cutting into my new boat. Oh well, rant over, just need to find a couple of free hours to get it dialed in, maybe I will just take it to a shop and let one of the kids do it;)

I hate to be a whiner but why in the hell does clarion NOT have sub outs on the deck? The deck will run sattellite and video monitors and dvd changers and cd changers and remotes all together but we have to finagle a subwoofer output? It just seems to simple to skip?????
pendo would still need a seperate sub amp but I'm not altogether happy with the sub sound in my 197 running it as spelled out above
Is it just me
anyone... anyone...
?

Ric
09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Ric, I agree, why not have an amp that would drive 4 speakers on their own channel, and somewhere to wire in yor sub, without having to get another amp and use the pre-outs.

Second, the deck not having balance (just fade) is cheap, considering the 04 model has it, and even cheap cars have it.

Third, the remote is cheaper without the visual display, but it is probably only 50 bucks cheaper and usually you want to see the display on the remote, otherwise you are just guessing and someone has to open the glove box anyway. (I didn't buy an M/C to save money;)

Ric, does your deck at least have balance?

Jamison, as for the crossovers that is why we replaced the speakers in the tower in the X-Star, to get one good crossover per speaker ... I don't think much of the crossovers built in to the speakers.

When we filled out the card on the X-Star we basically said, helluva boat, kinds skimped on the stereo setup ... I will probably say the same thing again.

Ultimately I have the factory put in the system so that the skins are all set up properly, I really would not want a shop cutting into my new boat. Oh well, rant over, just need to find a couple of free hours to get it dialed in, maybe I will just take it to a shop and let one of the kids do it;)
you may have the right plan about letting the kids do it
I think mine has balance control in the menu that lets me change crossover points and choose a flat or sharp tweet mid and bass sounds. it's unreal all the features this deck has for it NOT to have sub outs???? I dont think it's a cheap deck, I just think it's too many gadgets as rodl would say.

PendO
09-27-2005, 07:11 PM
you may have the right plan about letting the kids do it
I think mine has balance control in the menu that lets me change crossover points and choose a flat or sharp tweet mid and bass sounds. it's unreal all the features this deck has for it NOT to have sub outs???? I dont think it's a cheap deck, I just think it's too many gadgets as rodl would say.

Trade ya, straight across;) Glad to have you back from the hurricane bra'!

Ric
09-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Trade ya, straight across;) Glad to have you back from the hurricane bra'!
Thanks!
If we trade will they fit the same cutout in the glove box! :eek:

rektek
09-28-2005, 09:13 PM
check out the Kicker KX700.5 5 channel amp, it'll run your 4 boat speakers and has a class D sub amp built in, kicker makes outstanding products. www.kicker.com

PendO
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
check out the Kicker KX700.5 5 channel amp, it'll run your 4 boat speakers and has a class D sub amp built in, kicker makes outstanding products. www.kicker.com

Thanks Rektek, I will take a look at it.

mtripper
10-04-2005, 03:15 PM
I just did the same type of thing in my 02 197. It had the clarion xmd1 head and the clarion 2 piece speakers driven from the head. I added the clarion marine sub, the 4 channel apx480m amp, and replaced the xmd1 with a xmd3. I ran the sub from 2 channels bridged, channels 1+2 I think, the 2 sets of port speakers in parrallel from channel 3, and the 2 sets of starboard speakers in parrallel from channel 4. I'm not using the crossover in the head but use the amp for it instead. I can't remember all the amp settings except it's in 4 channel mode with 1+2 with a lpf of about 110 and 3+4 hpf of about 110. It's just what sounded best after playing with it for a while. I can look at the others if need be.

I just unplugged everything from the back of the xmd1 and plugged it all back into the xmd3. The balance works fine left to right and the fade works between the 4 full range and the sub. I have both balance and fade set to 0 though and use the gain controls on the amp to fine tune it. The remote works fine as well. The only reason I added the xmd3 was to get the aux in for an ipod. I ran a cable under the bow and behind that big plastic thing next to the drivers seat. I taped some velcro under the dash and on the cable so when I'm not using it I just stick it under the dash where you can't see it.

It sounds a lot better and much cleaner then before. The sub isn't all that great but does help fill in the bottom end quite a bit, it just doesn't have that really tight punch. That is probably mainly due to not having it boxed though. I think I have the amp gain set to about 35-40% of it's travel and it's plenty loud for me, I mainly wanted it to sound better not really louder.

rem_pss308
10-21-2005, 03:44 AM
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

PointTaken
10-21-2005, 06:54 AM
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
nice article rem!