PDA

View Full Version : ski platform "pad"

richardsoncd
09-27-2005, 09:06 AM
I am looking for something to cover my ski platform on my '79 S&S. I have read on another thread about the Traxx Pad but I don't think the multi-color design would look right on a "semi-restored/original" S&S. The platform has a little chipping on the bottom edge and I am looking for something (besides carpet) to cover the top and wrap around the bottom edge that will be comfortable getting on and off of and will be durable enough to handle use. Any suggestions/websites. Thanks

Hoosier Bob
09-27-2005, 09:59 AM
What about Rhino lining the platform? Fill the chips and have it Rhino lined to match the boat. I would think it would add strength and color but also be very safe on the skin with some traction. May be an idea. They can do all angles and even underneath. Should not cost too much if you pull the platform and leave it with them. They also make a DIY lining that you can get at most stores. I would go pro though. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
What about Rhino lining the platform? Fill the chips and have it Rhino lined to match the boat. I would think it would add strength and color but also be very safe on the skin with some traction. May be an idea. They can do all angles and even underneath. Should not cost too much if you pull the platform and leave it with them. They also make a DIY lining that you can get at most stores. I would go pro though. :twocents:
The rhino is a great idea. They can even do it without the textured look. Smooth finish, and in alot of colors.

crdickey
10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I just put on "Deck Dots" They look great! Good price! Peel and stick!

http://www.deckdots.com/

Double Overhead
10-08-2005, 01:55 AM
I put deck dots on mine too. Its seems to be very durable so far.

Sodar
02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I just order some deck dots for my trailer fenders. Has anyone purchased them for this and if so how did they work? I am worried about them peeling up in the sun at the ramp.

AirJunky
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I've seen a number of swimsteps Rhinolined & then the user decides it's too hard & too slick. Actually scars up your skis. So then they end up putting Traxx on it.
I saw another guy who used indoor/outdoor carpet on his. Wrapped it like a big gift & then stapled it all underneath.

rodltg2
02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
The rhino is a great idea. They can even do it without the textured look. Smooth finish, and in alot of colors.

the rhino liner seems like it wouls hurt like a sona***** on your stomach, hands getting out of the water. also scratch the hell out of your skiis.

BrianM
02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
the rhino liner seems like it wouls hurt like a sona***** on your stomach, hands getting out of the water. also scratch the hell out of your skiis.

Rhino is actually pretty soft and squishy. Line X is the one that feels like sandpaper.

jayderwin1
02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
why do you want to cover you ski platform with something? why don't you refinish the teak?

richardsoncd
02-09-2006, 05:39 PM
why do you want to cover you ski platform with something? why don't you refinish the teak?
I originally started this thread because my S&S has an old fiberglass platform that doesn't look to good, I am going with the deck dots, if they do begin to peel I plan to use 3M marine adhesive. If I had teak, I would not cover, just maintain.

rodltg2
02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
buy a teak one, i found this guy on ebay that makes replicas. he has one for my boat for 300.

jayderwin1
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
is the fiberglass to bad to buff out and polish?

rodltg2
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
cant find the guy on ebay now, ill post it if it he lists again..

richardsoncd
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
is the fiberglass to bad to buff out and polish?

It's pretty bad, plus it gets a bit slick. I have seen covered platforms and they look good, putting a teak platform on and taking this one off is more difficult than you would think. The old 79 platforms don't have true brackets like later models, the platform is lag screwed into the hull at even increments across the platform base, plus for the time, money and pain in the a#$ it would be, the deck dots look great, good grip, and are easy to install...total cost being less than $125. I'll post some pics when I finish.