PDA

View Full Version : bad gas!!

Jaxon4
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I unfortunately bought bad gas from a marina just a week ago....what is the easiest way to pump it out....I tried the old fashion way through the gas inlet but there must be a screen at the bottom..i have 1989 Tristar 190....I ran like a champ not its dead in the water...will I need to change plug too!!!??

mikeg205
05-06-2013, 12:17 PM
plug or plugs?

Jaxon4
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
plugs...and they are hard to get at too!!

mikeg205
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I would run it with some fresh gas and seafoam.. should be okay.

homer12
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Haven't had to do this my self, but if you got a manual pump you could pump (like an oil pump). You can access the tank through the floor access next to drivers seat. You will have to disconnect and take out the sending unit, but plenty of room to stick a hose in.

Also, drain the fuel out the fuel/water separator bowl to get as much out as possible and where the other fuel filter is, open and drain the bowl.

ricford
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
If you're talking about spark plugs, no you won't have to change them, however, you will have to change the filter in the tank as well as the in line filter. The fuel pump on that is not in the tank, is it? If not there may be a screen in inlet of the pump. Are you sure that's what the problem is? If it's bad gas it will run crappy, but it usually still runs. Have you checked to make sure the pump is working? I would remove the tank completely and dump it out, and replace the screen in the tank.

Table Rocker
05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I would save some of the bad gas in a clean glass jar. Have you talked to the marina? Any idea what the contamination was?

michiganTristar
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Been there done this man, had a half tank of gas and the seal around the fuel pickup and the bildge pump went out. the cover blew off, we got a ton of rain and a TON of water got in my tank.

Knew the gas was bad by getting a 5 gallon can and filling it up with new gas and just putting the draw tube directly into the can and it ran like a champ. ( i liked this way because this proved it was 100% the gas and nothing else, no guess work)

Now how i fixed it:
1.) couldnt find an electric pump cabable of handling gas so i got a manual hand pump and cranked away at it for about an hour pumping it all into a bunch of 5 gallon cans so i could dispose of it later.

2.) replaced the fuel filter on the line and for me the seal on the fuel pickup.

3.) replaced the spark plugs because heck it was already broken down i might as well, and they are not hard at all to get to. took all of 5 mins to change all 8.

Jaxon4
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
tried that..no go! wondering if something else might be wrong now...filter, or pump??

Jaxon4
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Haven't had to do this my self, but if you got a manual pump you could pump (like an oil pump). You can access the tank through the floor access next to drivers seat. You will have to disconnect and take out the sending unit, but plenty of room to stick a hose in.

Also, drain the fuel out the fuel/water separator bowl to get as much out as possible and where the other fuel filter is, open and drain the bowl.

Where is the fuel pump located at...and where is the the other fuel filter at..I drained the seperator bowl already

michiganTristar
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I cant remember where the pump or filter is, but one way to eliminate both of those is to have someone try starting the enginer and you pour a SMALL amount of gas directly into the carb it should start up then as long as nothing else is wrong. also while you have the carb cover off have someone pump the throttle and look down in the carb to make sure you are squirting gas into the bowl. (if this doesnt work PM me your number and I can call you and try to help out)

drschemel
05-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I cant remember where the pump or filter is, but one way to eliminate both of those is to have someone try starting the enginer and you pour a SMALL amount of gas directly into the carb it should start up then as long as nothing else is wrong. also while you have the carb cover off have someone pump the throttle and look down in the carb to make sure you are squirting gas into the bowl. (if this doesnt work PM me your number and I can call you and try to help out)

Not a bad idea, but use starting fluid. it comes in an aerosol can and is a little safer to use than pouring gas straight in. In the event of a backfire, the starter fluid only burns for an instant and you just need to stop spraying it and the fire will burn itself out.

homer12
05-10-2013, 11:36 AM
To find the other filter, just trace the fuel line back from the carb. You'll find it at the lower port side of the front of the engine.

Jaxon4
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Is the fuel pump in the tank??...I think it is junk!

Jaxon4
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I tried starting fluid in the carb and no go..it wouldnt fire up...so I'm thinking the bad gas possibly triggered the fuel pump to die..or the filter to become bad some how!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Is the fuel pump in the tank??...I think it is junk!

You have a mechanical fuel pump that is located on the front left side of engine, if the boat won't start with starting fluid I would suspect you have an ignition problem.

Jaxon4
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
You have a mechanical fuel pump that is located on the front left side of engine, if the boat won't start with starting fluid I would suspect you have an ignition problem.

any suggestions....ignition coil?? Ignition switch..anything else??

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2013, 01:53 PM
You need to check for spark.

Jaxon4
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
meaning the plugs are fouled??

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-10-2013, 02:20 PM
meaning the plugs are fouled??

fouled plugs will still spark,

First you need to pull a plug wire off a spark plug remove a spark plug reinsert spark plug into loose spark plug wire then touch the electrode of spark plug against an engine ground and crank the engine like your starting if you see the spark plug spark the ignition is good, if not you need to back up to the distributor and see if their is spark at the distributor cap and so forth.

Youtube is your friend here, just search keywords and there is a boat load of videos showing you how to do it, it's sometimes hard to write how to do things watching a video makes more sense in some cases...

d2jp
05-11-2013, 07:12 AM
I use an inline spark tester - quicker than pulling a plug, and cheap to buy. As kid, I remember getting nailed checking for spark on lawn mowers so I prefer the tester:) http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ignition-spark-checker-69014.html

Besides possibly contaminating the fuel filters, bad gas will not cause any other lingering problems. A fill of new gas, and as someone suggested - a can of Seafoam and she should start up and run fine.

Start with the basics: check for spark and then proceed....