PDA

View Full Version : muffler leaks...

Skir68
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
My old mufflers are starting to leak at the ends, anyone ever just remove them and run straight exhaust ose out the back?

drschemel
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm going to hijack this just a little. My mufflers are gone and have straight pipes to the back of the boat. New mufflers are about $500 fo a pair. Does anybody think that it would be worth the cost? There are so many threads about mufflers leaking and mufflers cracking, it seems like they add another level of trouble that I don't currently have to worry about!

Skir68
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
EXACTLY what I wanted to hear! Thanks for your input!

SSMoose
05-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm going to hijack this just a little. My mufflers are gone and have straight pipes to the back of the boat. New mufflers are about $500 fo a pair. Does anybody think that it would be worth the cost? There are so many threads about mufflers leaking and mufflers cracking, it seems like they add another level of trouble that I don't currently have to worry about!

+1 Drschemel!

east tx skier
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Simple fiberglass repair kit with some bondo works fine if you want to go that route.

mikeg205
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
west marine resin system and some fiberglass clothe - black engine spray paint... cheap.

Phntmski
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm sure there are some reasons why I shouldn't but I've used JB Weld with complete success because that's what I had in my garage.

silverblueBP
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Simple fiberglass repair kit with some bondo works fine if you want to go that route.

+1

Repaired both mufflers on my 96 last year. Very simple and cheap fix!

drschemel
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Seems mixed whether to fix them or bypass them. Do they do much is my question and would you pay the money to get some if you did not have any presently on your boat?

Wouter
05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
+1 on fiber glass repair kit. Wear gloves!!!

Skir68
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
hmm...if i take the things out, I won't ever have to "fix" them again!

etduc
05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
hmm...if i take the things out, I won't ever have to "fix" them again!

You do realize a fiberglass repair kit, runs about $35.00. Takes about a hour to do, let set up over nite. Install hoses, but don't overtighten. Done.

Skir68
05-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Yep, been there, done that....last year!

Craig
05-06-2013, 03:04 PM
JB Weld seems to work well for very small and/or temp fixes. It has a hard time bonding to fiberglass.

The fiberglass repair kit is the way to go for long term fix.

88 PS190
05-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I would not straight pipe my boats.

Quite frankly, I would like to quiet them down more, there are many mornings that I won't ski near our dock because I don't want to piss off the neighbors, I may like the sound of the boat pulling a skier straight off the dock, but I am sure the neighbors do not.

I would however straight pipe with a fresh air exhaust.

lakeoz tristar
05-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Did your boat have the mufflers on when you got the boat? What is the difference in sound? Seems everyone's argument is that it would sound too loud? My mufflers seem to be in poor shape as I have had to repair them three times in different spots and I don't think it would be much difference in price to run straight hose or hose and new mufflers but at some point I will need to do something just to get rid of the continual repairs needing made. On the lake I am at I don't think the neighbors mind as there are tons of noisy boats..

88 PS190
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Its a question of what time in the morning you point your mufflers at their windows and crank the throttle.

Straight pipes are quite a bit noisier, noticeable at cruising speed, very noticeable when you pull a skier up.

Skir68
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Ok, so I took the mufflers off, I can see right thru them!!!! I re-glassed the ends, and re-installed them...I just got some Bondo Glass from wally world. I mixed in the hardener, and spread it around each end of the tubes where the connections are. I re-installed them and lake tested them and they are leak free! The can of stuff cost me $14.98 and about 2 hours of work to remove them, glass them up, and re install them. It was cheaper than two new hoses at $18.99 per foot from MasterCraft and new mufflers at $600.00!!! I did replace the raw water pump as well, another 40 min. work. Thanks goes out to the guys at Midwest MasterCraft for having the pump I needed and giving me the tips to replacing it myself, saving me some $$ Thanks Guys!

Skir68
05-07-2013, 09:49 PM
here are some pics of the work....

Skir68
05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
ok, here are some more pics, just cuz I figured out how to post them, and I know you just wanna see more of this incredible vessel! Not to bad for a 26 year old beauty eh?;)