PDA

View Full Version : New Tires for Acura

Hogwild
05-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 07 Acura TL and was wondering if you might have suggestions for new tires. I haven't done all the searches on Discount tire or Tirerack yet, but wanted to see if maybe you guys were having really good success out of a particular brand/style on a fwd vehicle right now.

Right now it has Bridgestone Turanza's on it (235/45/17) but they haven't held up real well. Only about 35K miles. I'm wanting something that will give me 60K but don't know if that's possible with this car.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

fskof
05-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I would start at Tirerack and read all of the reviews. A friend of mine purchased four new Michelins from Sams club for his Honda Accord and those lasted him 60k miles. I dont remember what model of tire it was.

Jerseydave
05-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I put Michelins on my son's Acura TSX (not sure which tire from Michelin) and so far so good. I've always had good luck with Michelin tires on my trucks. Look at the treadwear rating when you shop around....the higher number the better. Look for traction "A" and temperature "A" ratings. Always rotate your tires every 6K miles and get your alignment checked on a regular basis.

Tire Rack reviews help a lot too.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 07 Acura TL and was wondering if you might have suggestions for new tires. I haven't done all the searches on Discount tire or Tirerack yet, but wanted to see if maybe you guys were having really good success out of a particular brand/style on a fwd vehicle right now.

Right now it has Bridgestone Turanza's on it (235/45/17) but they haven't held up real well. Only about 35K miles. I'm wanting something that will give me 60K but don't know if that's possible with this car.

Turanza are a softer, sportier compound so long tread life is the trade off, you got good mileage for that tire. Food for thought, just because a tire lasts 80,000 miles does not mean it's a good tire, the trade off is usually alot of road noise and a harsher ride because the compound is so hard. I would actually recommend mastercraft tires they seem to be doing well on my customers cars, good tread life with minimum road noise at a good value for price. We've been selling them for a couple years. I'm unsure if they have a tire for your size though. Michelin or Continental would be my next choices.

@jerseydave tire wear number is not a linear match to other brands ie a michelin with 600 does not mean a bridgestone with the same number will last as long, the number is a measurement within the same brand, but having said that it's a good layman indicator.

pap
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
You definitely don't want an 80,000 treadwear tire on a TSX unless you drive it like a girl. Soft sticky rubber means lower treadwear but more fun / safety if you drive more agressively. There is no free lunch - buy tires more frequently, drive less aggressively, or spin off the side of the road with hard "green" tires... pick one.

I've been in pickups and SUVs for years, my last sporty car I ran michelin performance tires and they were very good, tirerack is always a great source of info and i buy from there.

gts-20
05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Hey guys,

I don't know if this would help you out any, but I'm the parts manager for an Acura dealer. We have a set of take off 2013 TL wheels/tires sitting on the shelf. They were taken off a new TL last week that we preloaded with 19" wheel/tires for the showroom, and have less than 10 miles on them. Here is a link to the craigslist add my counter guys posted.

http://houston.craigslist.org/ptd/3762553535.html

PM me if you are interested. I can cut you a good deal on them. The shipping might be expensive though.

Hogwild
05-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure how those would look on an 07. It rides pretty low and might look funny with the larger tires.

I appreciate all the responses. I'm still searching and looking around.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure how those would look on an 07. It rides pretty low and might look funny with the larger tires.

I appreciate all the responses. I'm still searching and looking around.

gts-20 tires are 1.3" taller and .4" wider, it'll fill out wheel well. lol

O2BESOHUGE
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
We Put Michelins On My Wifes Acura Tl...glad I Did!

O2BESOHUGE
05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
HERE IS A TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR..VERY HANDY IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SIZE FROM STOCK. IT SHOWS YOU THE STOCK TIRE VS. THE NEW SIZE

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

O2BESOHUGE
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
And Keep Them Rotated

Hogwild
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
We Put Michelins On My Wifes Acura Tl...glad I Did!

What michelins did u go with?

mzimme
05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I have these on my Lexus. They're awesome in the rain, great on dry pavement, have a 50k mile warranty on them, and are actually incredibly quiet. I'll be buying these again if I still have the car when they wear out. I'm a big fan of hankook lately. I've had Michelins, and Bridgestones on this car in the past, and these are by far my favorite tire and cost considerably less than either of my previous choices.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&tt=false&pc=11845&counter=1&ar=45&rd=17&sw=false&cs=235

thatsmrmastercraft
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I have these on my Lexus. They're awesome in the rain, great on dry pavement, have a 50k mile warranty on them, and are actually incredibly quiet. I'll be buying these again if I still have the car when they wear out. I'm a big fan of hankook lately. I've had Michelins, and Bridgestones on this car in the past, and these are by far my favorite tire and cost considerably less than either of my previous choices.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&tt=false&pc=11845&counter=1&ar=45&rd=17&sw=false&cs=235

That Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 is indeed a fine tire.

O2BESOHUGE
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I Put The Michelin Primacy Mxv4's On My Wifes Car

Hogwild
05-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Anyone know about the mxm4's? Cant find the v4's in my size.

Hogwild
05-25-2013, 05:58 PM
So I think I narrowed it down to these two. Do you think the ride and handling of an "w" rated tire will be that much better than a "h" as to justify the shorter treadlife warranty (10K fewer miles)?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=345WR7MXM4P&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2007&autoModel=TL&autoModClar=Automatic%20Transmission

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&tt=false&yr=2007&pc=35128&counter=0&ar=45&rd=17&vid=010782&sw=false&cs=235

O2BESOHUGE
06-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Id Go With The One With The Higher Rated Miles...you Arent Going To Be Driving On A Track Where You Need More Traction Or Driving In "race" Situations Fast All The Time. (unless Youare By Yourself And Just Having Fun, But Thats Not Going To Be That Often) :)

Keep Them Rotated And You Will Get More Miles Than The Rating Says Too...

mzimme
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
You pay an awful lot of money for that Michelin name when there's plenty of tires that will outperform it for quite a bit less money....

I've had Michelin's, and they weren't anything special... they were just expensive. The tread life stunk and they were loud from day 1.

Hogwild
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Yeah buying tires is often difficult for me. Ive never used some of the lesser known brands so I was mainly going off the reviews and then the advice here

scott023
06-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I've got Falken FK 452's on my car. They've been fantastic.

mzimme
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I've got Falken FK 452's on my car. They've been fantastic.

I've also had falkens on a previous car of mine (although the 451's). I got great tread life out of those and I couldn't rotate them at all since they were staggered sizes and directional tread. That was even on a mustang cobra. If you get good tread life on a cobra with the way I drove it, they're doing something right. :D

Rossterman
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Michelin XTX Energy tires on the Wife's Sonata. Currently at 75K on the rear. Fronts will go ~ 55 before replacing. Very happy with the handling and quietness of the tires

scott023
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I think, like others have said, that if you read reviews, you can get great quality tires without having to put big brand, expensive tires (Bridgestone, Michelin etc) on your vehicle.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Continental/General produce some very good quality tires in a very attractive price range. Hankook as well.

Hogwild
06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm kind of intrigued by these tires and the reviews seem positive. The Hankooks didn't really get great reviews. I know these Falkens are the ones previously mentioned but what are your thoughts on these?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/directReviews/ReadReviews?drb.productCode=18477&drb.vid=010782&rbqs.vid=010782&drb.year=2007&rbqs.yr=2007&rbqs.counter=0&rbqs.ar=45&rbqs.rd=17&rbqs.cs=235&rbqs.ra=filterTireProducts.do&rbqs.tt=false&rbqs.pc=18477&rbqs.sw=false

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Falken tires have had a good name for years. They don't have a huge advertising budget so they aren't as well known as they could be.

A quick note about reviews. These are written by several types of people that only represent a portion of the market. They can be deceiving because a lot of people who love whatever it is they bought would never think to write a review, where an extremely unhappy customer is more likely to write a review. Reviews certainly have a place, but I only put so much stock in them unless there are lots of problems. End of sermon......carry on.

Hogwild
06-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Falken tires have had a good name for years. They don't have a huge advertising budget so they aren't as well known as they could be.

A quick note about reviews. These are written by several types of people that only represent a portion of the market. They can be deceiving because a lot of people who love whatever it is they bought would never think to write a review, where an extremely unhappy customer is more likely to write a review. Reviews certainly have a place, but I only put so much stock in them unless there are lots of problems. End of sermon......carry on.

Yeah I figure that most people are like me in that they hop right in to give reviews when they've had a negative experience, but tend to forget to do the same with a positive one.

I know nothing about and have no exeperience with either the Hankook or Falken brand, so that's why I was putting a little bit more stock in the reviews. I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with either of them though as they are about half of what the Michelins are. Worst case scenario seems to be I get half of the mileage as a Michelin and then I will just break even. :D

ttu
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
never used falken's on a car but have had great luck with them on my previous sequoia and land cruiser's.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah I figure that most people are like me in that they hop right in to give reviews when they've had a negative experience, but tend to forget to do the same with a positive one.

I know nothing about and have no exeperience with either the Hankook or Falken brand, so that's why I was putting a little bit more stock in the reviews. I'm pretty sure I can't go wrong with either of them though as they are about half of what the Michelins are. Worst case scenario seems to be I get half of the mileage as a Michelin and then I will just break even. :D

I don't know anyone who was ever dissatisfied with Falken tires. The only Hankooks I ever sold that had problems resulted from a bad batch and Hankook stood behind them.

Hogwild
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
So what does the "97" stand for in 235/45R17 97V BW? I have seen some sellers have a tire with a 94V and other sellers will have the same tire that says 97V. I know that V is the speed rating, but was wondering why there is a discrepancy between sellers for the same tire on what I think is the load rating for the tire.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
So what does the "97" stand for in 235/45R17 97V BW? I have seen some sellers have a tire with a 94V and other sellers will have the same tire that says 97V. I know that V is the speed rating, but was wondering why there is a discrepancy between sellers for the same tire on what I think is the load rating for the tire.

http://www.futuretire.com/images/determining-tire-size.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Hogwild
06-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Ok thanks for that