PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

tideengineer
05-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Ran boat in driveway last week. Took to lake today. It sputtered off the trailer but caught up. Ran good for 15 minutes. Did some work around the lake house for a couple hours then went to ride again. Boat cranked but was running ragged. Quit when I put it in gear. Couldn't get it cranked back up. I could hear the fuel pump relay but not fuel pump running. I tapped the pump pump with screw driver and put the boat in the boathouse. 5 minutes later I turned the key, heard the fuel pump and BAM it cranked and ran fine. Any suggestions? Time to replace fuel pump? 96 prostar with LT1.

mikeg205
05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I would say yes...

flya750
05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Assuming your '96 has never had any fuel pump work.. then yes! The pump is probably okay but the '96 had some design flaws.. like no filter between the tank and the pump. Because there is no filter there is a small inlet screen on the pickup side of the pump that gets clogged and if that inlet is clogged you will have reduced fuel flow and sporadic performance.

Also, if your boat has sat for a long time and if the fuel wasn't properly treated then you may have some gunk build up on the intake of the pump that may be causing your problem.

I would recommend installing a fuel filter between the tank and the pump. If you want to purchase a new pump and not worry about the old pump you can buy a simple AC Delco replacement pump..~ $140 ? vs. the Mastercraft part replacement. The original pump is NOT marinized so a simple AC Delco is what you need.

Your boat is of age where the engine water pump could be rusted and on its last leg. You can replace that with a Gm part as well. There was nothing marinized in the original indmar engine water pump installed in your MC.. despite the high dollar you had to pay ($25k) for your 1996 PS190. This really p**** me off when I found out that my engine water pump was not marinized....

I just got done replacing my fuel pump, water pump and heater unit on my '97 PS190 w/Lt1. I'm ready for another 16 years of boating/skiing with my PS190.

flya750
05-05-2013, 06:42 PM
One more thing.. One way to diagnose a fuel problem is to listen to the fuel pump.. if it is whining a high pitch... then the pump is NOT getting enough fuel.... the inlet is most likely clogged a bit. It is such a small inlet... and it gets gunked up over the years.

My advice would be to just change the pump because that little inlet screen cannot be replaced or easily cleaned. I'd just go with a new pump and have no worries.

My modo is my MC will never be towed in by anyone... I will always be the one doing the towing thank you very much ;) lol!

tideengineer
05-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks a bunch. This is the original fuel pump. Also already has extra inline filter between tank and pump. I just think it is worn out. When I was turning the key I could here the relay but the pump wasn't on. After a few taps and letting it sit for 15 I turned key and heard the pump and it cranked. Probably time for a new one. I replaced the water pump 2 years ago. It still had original.

tideengineer
05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Here she is.....

flya750
05-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes... then it sound like the original pump may be going bad.

She is a beaut! What color is that? Dark blue? black? Looks just like my '97 which is black as well.

flya750
05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Do you have a new Acme 3 blade on her yet? I installed a new Acme 3 blade last year.. It's like I have a LT2 now! ;) It will throw you back in your seat when accelerating from 35mph to 45mph.

The only draw back is the new prop is a bit louder but the performance improvement was quite noticeable. I'm hoping to get better fuel economy with the new prop.

flya750
05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
When I changed my pump I went ahead and changed the all the fuel lines @ the same time. After I got the old lines out.. they looked fine and I probably didn't need to change them yet.. but hey.. I had to install the inline fuel filter and replace the pump so I swamped out the lines as well.

It was a little more work but I now have the confidence that my fuel lines are good for another 16 years of reliable skiing.. Now if I can just rely on my body holding up for another 16 years of short line skiing ;)

What about your serpentine belt and belt tensioner? Have you replaced those yet? Both of mine gave up the ghost two+ years ago....

CC2MC
05-05-2013, 07:27 PM
MikeG205 posted a fuel pump the other day that was $85 or something like that for the LT-1. bTW, mine was making the whining noise and I removed the pump and cleaned it the best I could and all is well now. I did have a filter between the tank and pump but changed it too. It did not have that much stuff in the screen, but it didn't take much to impede the performance, but mine did not ever not come on either.

tideengineer
05-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments. That's why I love this forum. My boat is Navy blue with a red trim stripe. I love the boat. I replaced belts when I changed water pump. I'm going to go ahead and change the inline filter and fuel pump. Fuel lines look good. She has the original prop. I really can't imaging wanting anymore performance out of this boat!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Do you have a new Acme 3 blade on her yet? I installed a new Acme 3 blade last year.. It's like I have a LT2 now! ;) It will throw you back in your seat when accelerating from 35mph to 45mph.

The only draw back is the new prop is a bit louder but the performance improvement was quite noticeable. I'm hoping to get better fuel economy with the new prop.

I like to think of the growl that the acme 541 makes as a prop brake, lol

tideengineer
05-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Is the fuel pump ac delco ep376?

Table Rocker
05-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Is the fuel pump ac delco ep376?
I would be interested in knowing the ACDelco part number as well. I do not think it is ep376 though. The replacement fuel pump is Indmar 55-6014. The best deal I have found on it is on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321041093010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
The best price I can find from a "reputable" dealer is inboardonline.com at $247.

There were threads regarding the Carter 60692 fuel pump as a low cost ($140) replacement instead of the $300 Indmar part, but there was some debate about it's compatibility.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42805

Mikeg205 recently found Carter P60987 pumps for $85 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=26&partnum=P60987&a=FR26-P60987-88113). He said it looks like a part number for the PCM, Crusader or MerCruiser fuel injected 350. Again, it is a part that should work or could be made to work.

flya750
05-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Here is the pump I bought for my Lt1.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=55-6014

I paid $262 last year.. the price has jumped almost a hundred bucks... yikes... they know that a lot of late model 90's out there eventually need fuel pumps ;)

The part # on my invoice from Discount Marine (aka Skidim) is # CARP60962 (FYI.. this is a Carter pump)

This # may be cross referenced to other distributors. ?

CantRepeat
05-06-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been an Auburn fan on here talking about a "Tide" engineer spelling feul wrong. :D

tideengineer
05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Engineer not an English major! I haven't figured out how to change the title in tapatalk! Got it now!

tideengineer
05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Question- a mechanical engineer and I were talking about my fuel pump problem today at lunch and he asked an interesting question. When my boat wouldn't crank it was tied off to a pier and he battery went dead quick. It wasn't until I got it back in the boathouse and plugged into the charger when the fuel pump came on and it cranked. Could low voltage on the battery have caused the fuel pump not to run correctly?

mikeg205
05-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Question- a mechanical engineer and I were talking about my fuel pump problem today at lunch and he asked an interesting question. When my boat wouldn't crank it was tied off to a pier and he battery went dead quick. It wasn't until I got it back in the boathouse and plugged into the charger when the fuel pump came on and it cranked. Could low voltage on the battery have caused the fuel pump not to run correctly?

Bad battery can cause lots of problems.

tideengineer
05-06-2013, 03:49 PM
may be time for a new one.

flya750
05-06-2013, 04:01 PM
This would make sense... I doubt the pump died... most of the problems with said pump by others has mostly been the intake getting clogged.

Keep up posted as to the solution.

A Blue PS190... you don't see that color option very often ;)

tideengineer
05-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm going to check it out more this week. Battery is on a tender right now in the boathouse. Going to make the trip up there a few times this week to test it out. The battery is several years old and died out pretty fast yesterday trying to crank it.

CC2MC
05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been an Auburn fan on here talking about a "Tide" engineer spelling feul wrong. :D

Man, I missed that one. He is good with numbers, not English, being an engineer.

SP Maristar
05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Those engineers...

tideengineer
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Those engineers...

yep...mama always said I was good at arithmetic....BAD at reading & writing....

CantRepeat
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I do not believe there is any kind of fuel cut off for low volts. It would make for some really bad situations and some hell-of-a law suits if such circuit was put in place. It doesn't pass the common sense test to cut power to the fuel pump for low volts.

I would not think a low battery would affect a fuel pump in this manner. Once started it's getting most of the juice from the alt.

mwg
05-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Disregard... saw that the op had a LT1

CC2MC
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Part Number: NFP P60962

Product Line: NAPA Fuel Pumps, per MikeG205

tideengineer
05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Part Number: NFP P60962

Product Line: NAPA Fuel Pumps, per MikeG205

that P60962 is the carter number. I would love to know where he bought it.

CC2MC
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
that P60962 is the carter number. I would love to know where he bought it.

It comes up on the NAPA site when you type it in, so hopefully they are one in the same.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dP60962%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1 %26Dn%3d0%26D%3dP60962%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

tideengineer
05-09-2013, 03:28 PM
It is the same one but you can't order it online. Have to find a NAPA parts store that has one in stock...which mine doesn't...nor does Pensacola's 3 stores...

mikeg205
05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Just talked to NAPA online and the stores are able to order as of today. however - $60 less at rock auto - or I will sell mine for $350... ;)

CC2MC
05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
It is the same one but you can't order it online. Have to find a NAPA parts store that has one in stock...which mine doesn't...nor does Pensacola's 3 stores...

I would just go with the rock auto one then as it appears that they have some available online and for a better deal. If you go that route, let us know how it goes, as this could be useful in the future for others. But could the NAPA not order one for you and you pick it up at the store when it comes in, or are you wanting it quicker than that?

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Need some help with a problem that may be related to fuel. New user to the site, great feedback by all from what I read.

I have a 2000 205 with the 330 LTR. End of last season, boat ran perfect. Upon start-up this year, boat will crank perfect and idle for about an 8-10 second count then die. It will start and idle at mid rpm, but high rpm causes misfire out of the top of engine.

Replace the ICM, coils (4), and plugs to no avail. Moving on to the fuel side now. My regulator, pump, and filter seem to be all located on top of the fuel tank as one unit. Can anyone shed some light on how to remove the braided hose from the regulator? I've never seen this type connection, the hose (connection) can move in, out, and circular around the regulator fitting and appears to have compressible tabs internally. Wondering how to remove the line.

Any help would be great. Thanks much.

agua4fun
05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
A.C. hose romoval tool. it slides up between the hose and pump. you can get them at most auto parts stores.

I dont remember the size, but the standart set fits like 4 sizes. one of them will work

Mitchell
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. $$$ spending here I go.

Thanks again!

tideengineer
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
So went up to the lake Sunday for some Mother's Day fun...boat had been plugged in (battery tender) for a week...drop her in the water, turn the key, hear the feul pump, and WOOM!, she fired up to life like she just left the showroom floor...ran great all day with multiple starts...so now I'm thinking it was isolated incident...time will tell.

On a side note...did I ever say how much I love this boat and it's LT1 motor?...it is a beast.

Table Rocker
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Awesome, hopefully it was just a low voltage condition.