PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X14 won't start (first time out this season)

trunderw
05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a 2008 x14 that was winterized last season. The engine turns over and everything seems fine but the engine doesn't fire. I suspect it is a fuel issue. I've depressed the valve on the fuel line at the top of the motor and got a bit of fuel at first but now nothing comes out. I'd like to verify the relay or the pump but don't have any electronic tools (test light, multimeter).
When I connect the kill switch I hear it engage in the engine compartment (some relay I suppose).
Is there an easy way for one person to test the spark (I can't crank the engine and test for spark at the same time that I know of)?

Update- I took off the air filter and sprayed WD40 into it while working the throttle and got no combustion. Then I checked the schrader valve and did have some fuel bleed so it looks like the fuel pump is working (I assume it's that high pitched whine). Any tips for fuses/relays/electrical gremlins that I should be looking for?

Update 2- I pulled a plug and was able to verify spark on at least 1 cylinder.

Oh well, taking it to a non-MC dealer to have them take a look

93Prostar190
05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Double check the kill switch?

Fuel pump relay feel hot after cranking?

93Prostar190
05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
One more thing do you have gas?

I am trying to suggest simple things that are related to winterization

mgs96ps
05-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Disconnect battery, and then disconnect electrical plug at the fuel pump. Reconnent both and listen for prime before turning over engine. If no prime, I would say fuel pump is bad. Quick question...did you put fuel stabilizer in tank at end of season?

Table Rocker
05-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Trade the WD-40 for some starting fluid. Spray it in the throttle body while cranking and see if you get anything. If it will fire on starting fluid, you know you aren't getting fuel. If it won't, you know you aren't getting spark.

mgs96ps
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Trade the WD-40 for some starting fluid. Spray it in the throttle body while cranking and see if you get anything. If it will fire on starting fluid, you know you aren't getting fuel. If it won't, you know you aren't getting spark.

Be very careful with starting fuild...don't overdue it, a little goes a long ways. You can blow your heads off the block if you get a little over zealous. If your boat is not starting, (and you are anything like me), you are upset and not thinking clearly and starting fluid is not the best tool in the tool box.:eek::eek:

respectfully submitted

trunderw
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I've had success powering potato guns with WD40 so I know it has some combustion and have used it to clear water from an engine (after a blown radiator hose). I actually didn't have any carb start fluid around so I did take it to a nearby service place.
The fuel was treated before storage. The only thing I forgot to check before I took it in was the fuel filter... It'll piss me off it that costs me shop fees but better than a fuel pump...
Once they figure it out I'll post back.
Thanks

trunderw
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
oops-double post

trunderw
05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Confirmed bad fuel pump. The MC dealership that sold me the pump was sympathetic to our plight.
Thanks for the replies above